Dr. Thomas Shuler MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.9

December 18th, 2014
Excellent

January 31st, 2013
Beware of this doc
I cracked my knee directly onto my laminate flooring, shielding my newborn from the impact. I whited out, saw stars, and felt excruciating pain. I had injured myself many times before playing high school sports, but had only experienced that degree and duration of pain with a break. I could feel my knee rubbing against cartilage also. I knew it was serious. The x-rays showed the top quarter of my patella was separated from the rest. Dr. Schuler told me I was born with a separated knee, and diagnosed it a bi-parteid patella. I felt like I was doing case studies again (I have a pre-med undergrad); I told him that I recognized that the condition existed, but that I had only experienced that kind of lasting, excruciating pain with breaks. I had certified as a fitness instructor, was an avid runner, biker, and swimmer, so a lot was riding on this diagnosis. He diagnosed my knee as a "contusion"--fancy for "bruise". I countered with the fact that I had injured myself many times playing sports, and that this was different. Considering the symptoms in conjunction with the separation in the x-ray, it was more likely a break, even though bi-parteid patellas exist. He dismissed my experience. It has now been a full year. It hurts to run, bike, go up and down stairs--it has quite literally crippled my fitness career. I went to another orthopedic doc 6 months after the injury, and she found evidence of calcium crystals behind the injured area--but by that time, the break had healed over. The only way to correct it now would be surgery to scrape the break, set it, and allow it to heal properly. Beware of this doc.