Dr. Thomas Vail MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

4.8

November 10th, 2016
Profesor, MD
Everything re DR Vail and the UCSF team was great except for 2 issues. First, i am a complicated pain management patient and do not think my pain management the first 10 days or so post-op was optimal. Second, one morning i had to have a straight cauterization because i was not urinating and the nurse who attempted it was, as best i can tell, in a great hurry(perhaps going off shift) and the result was a very painful(and unsuccessful) attempt that had to be repeated later by someone who was not in a hurry.

November 2nd, 2016
RN
I was very hesitant to follow up for surgery but as soon as I did everything went like clockwork. Dr Vail was extremely nice, knowledgeable and gave me time to express my concerns. The whole team from assistants, nurses, residents, PT, OT, Chaplains were absolutely professional and made my surgery the best it could possibly be. I am forever grateful.

October 20th, 2016
Hip Replacement
I would definitely choose Dr. Vail again. He takes in the needs and concerns of the patient completely. He stays connected before and after surgery through the HealthLoop app which is wonderful. He lets you know what to expect during each phase of the process for surgery and recovery. He has a team of professionals who walk the journey with you. He does really great work to get you up and enjoying things you used to take for granted.

October 4th, 2016
recent patient
soft spoken knowledgeable surgeon who detailed his method of surgery for me

October 4th, 2016
Third try is the Charm
Dr. Vail, was the only Surgeon willing to take the time to look at my case when many other surgeons just brushed me off. I have been having problems with my hips for decades and he spent all the time I needed to explain everything to me that I asked him about. When I would contact him with any realistic question he has been the most professional surgeon I have encountered in many decades of dealing with ongoing medical problems and has been a real pleasure to deal with.

September 15th, 2016
Outstanding from beginning to end!

September 13th, 2016
Amazing!
The skill of Dr. Vail was amazing, ad was the care at UCSF. Could not have been more oerfect. Two weeks out, I feel great!

September 6th, 2016
Great surgeon
Dr. Vail is great but takes forever to get an appt. w/ him. Tried to get final followup for one knee and preliminary for second knee in one appt. Was made to believe that was going to happen but it didn't therefore surgery was put off a long time. Fortunately there was an unexpected opening that I was able to take advantage of. So, bad and good.

September 6th, 2016
Amazing!
I never had any bruising with my bi-lateral hips. This was a huge step for me. Waiting for my scheduled surgery date was the hardest part. The steps to get to that point was a thorough experience. No apprehension about what was going to happen because of the organizational procedures to surgery.

August 31st, 2016
Great Result
Several weeks after my first total hip replacement surgery by another surgeon my femur broke and the stem dropped down and rotated. The result was my right leg was one inch shorter and my right foot was turned out by 70 degrees. Dr. Vail performed the complicated hip revision surgery that restored the proper leg length and rotated the foot back to its proper position. I could not be happier with the results.

August 23rd, 2016
Bedside manner outstanding. Knowledgeable and inspires trust.

August 16th, 2016
Total hip replacement
Dr Vale was extremely kind and competent. I felt confident that I would have an excellent outcome, and I did. His team reflected his thoughtful manner. I always felt that my treatment was personalized. I would recommend him without reservation.