Dr. Thomas Vail MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

4.9
  • 38 reviews

no change

January 18th, 2017
Professional Staff Throughout
Dr Vail is a very conscientious doctor; he listened to all my concerns. I felt extremely confident for him to do my surgery. I was introduced to everyone I would be having interactions with on his staff; the was very helpful.

January 17th, 2017
An amazingly awesome experience
I knew Dr. Vail had an excellent reputation before I started this journey with him. Even though the bar was high he and his staff exceeded expectations. I have had a number of surgeries at other hospitals and the team at UCSF are incredible. Especially like dr. Vail's approach to efficiency, use of Technology and just plain taking his time to do the best operation possible.

January 3rd, 2017
Dr. Vail - The Best Surgeon there is for Hips and Knees!
I met Dr. Vail when I needed to have both my knees replaced in 2009. He had come highly recommended by primary care physician and I consider her to be the best doctor on the plant, so a referral from her really means something. As this was my first surgery, I had lots of questions and concerns and Dr. Vail patiently answered all my questions and reassured me about my concerns. My surgery was flawless and I was out and about in no time with two new knees. Although I did everything I was told to do which I know greatly helped my recovery, I attribute my remarkable recovery to Dr. Vail and his team's skills. In 2016 I had to have both my hips replaced and Dr. Vail did those also. Once again, my recovery was remarkable and my surgery flawless thanks to Dr. Vail and his team. I have now had all my major joints replaced and I feel like a whole new person and I attribute this to Dr. Vail's incredible skill, dedication, compassion and kindness. There is no better surgeon that Dr. Vail!

January 3rd, 2017
Highly qualified in Orthopaedics with a great bedside personality!
I have a very complicated case, having a rare bone cancer in my youth. Dr Vail is highly qualified to maintain the quality of my tibia reconstruction and knee replacement. He is caring, intelligent and innovative.

December 27th, 2016
Expert care
Dr Vail and his team were professional as well as caring in their support. The results of the surgery were excellent. Far better than I had expected.

November 10th, 2016
Profesor, MD
Everything re DR Vail and the UCSF team was great except for 2 issues. First, i am a complicated pain management patient and do not think my pain management the first 10 days or so post-op was optimal. Second, one morning i had to have a straight cauterization because i was not urinating and the nurse who attempted it was, as best i can tell, in a great hurry(perhaps going off shift) and the result was a very painful(and unsuccessful) attempt that had to be repeated later by someone who was not in a hurry.

November 2nd, 2016
RN
I was very hesitant to follow up for surgery but as soon as I did everything went like clockwork. Dr Vail was extremely nice, knowledgeable and gave me time to express my concerns. The whole team from assistants, nurses, residents, PT, OT, Chaplains were absolutely professional and made my surgery the best it could possibly be. I am forever grateful.

October 20th, 2016
Hip Replacement
I would definitely choose Dr. Vail again. He takes in the needs and concerns of the patient completely. He stays connected before and after surgery through the HealthLoop app which is wonderful. He lets you know what to expect during each phase of the process for surgery and recovery. He has a team of professionals who walk the journey with you. He does really great work to get you up and enjoying things you used to take for granted.

October 4th, 2016
recent patient
soft spoken knowledgeable surgeon who detailed his method of surgery for me

October 4th, 2016
Third try is the Charm
Dr. Vail, was the only Surgeon willing to take the time to look at my case when many other surgeons just brushed me off. I have been having problems with my hips for decades and he spent all the time I needed to explain everything to me that I asked him about. When I would contact him with any realistic question he has been the most professional surgeon I have encountered in many decades of dealing with ongoing medical problems and has been a real pleasure to deal with.

September 15th, 2016
Outstanding from beginning to end!

September 13th, 2016
Amazing!
The skill of Dr. Vail was amazing, ad was the care at UCSF. Could not have been more oerfect. Two weeks out, I feel great!