Dr. Thomas Vara MD Patient Reviews

January 28th, 2016
Uncomfortable from step one!
I'm going to echo another reviewer and say how uncomfortable I felt in this office due to emphasis on wanting your MONEY. nothing like filling out your info on a Tablet, of which they have several to "eliminate paperwork" when it seems clear that it's the patients paying for this technology. They even do you the favor of having a credit card reader attached to your sign-in tablet so you can pay Immediately and never have to interact with a human being. Not to mention that Dr Vara himself gave me the absolute creeps. Never going back there again!

April 20th, 2015
Dr. Vara was outstanding to diagnose and treat my serious gallbladder condition. Even on Thanksgiving day. I truly appreciate it. His follow up during my 10 days in the hospital was outstandinghe also had a great time after surgery and taking care of me when I worried about what had gone on.

January 17th, 2014
Great surgeon!
Dr. Vara is extremely knowledgeable, skilled, and compassionate. Although gallbladder removals are routine for surgeons, it was still an important and scary thing for me, the patient. He explained everything, answered all of my questions, and made me feel comfortable throughout the entire experience. The staff and others involved in my care at the hospital were great as well. Highly recommend!

May 4th, 2013
Very Disappointed
Dr. Vera was the general surgeon for my spinal fusion. The orthopedic surgeon was successful with the fusion. Dr. Vera damaged a nerve in my leg but told me that it was the orthopedic surgeon but he told my primary that he may have done it. I went to him on several occasions because not only was the nerve damage in my leg causing severe pain but he also had damaged my oblique muscle causing a huge bulge on one side. He refused to discuss it with me and told me to go see a plastic surgeon. I went to two plastic surgeons but neither of them would touch it. Dr. Vera left me with nerve damage and a huge bulge on my left side and now I am considered totally disabled due to Dr. Vera's surgical skills!!

July 13th, 2012
I have been a patient of Dr. Vara's since his residency days at Mt.Carmel which is at least 25 years. He has performed about 7 breast biopsys and has done 4 major surgeries for me. He is just an excellent doctor. He is caring and always concerned about the patient. He's never to busy to take the time to discuss any concerns you may have and to ease your worries. I would and have recommended him many times. Can't say enough good things about him. Just a wonderful, wonderful person and doctor.

July 1st, 2012
Excellent doctor
I give Dr. Vara the highest recommendation. His caring manner and excellent interaction with me as his patient during a very difficult time in my life was a huge part of my successful mental and physical recuperation in 2009. I am now facing another surgery (thyroid) in a week and am confident that this surgery will go as the last one did...a quick and minimally painful recuperation.

May 16th, 2012
I was nervous about having surgery and Dr. Vara was aware of that. He has a wonderful bedside manner, very caring. He took time to answer my questions. I highly recommend Dr. Vara.

May 21st, 2011
Outstanding Surgeon
I have trusted this surgeon with my life and would do so again. I would trust those whom I love most to his care. When he felt if was best to include a more specialized sugeon in my case, he did so. While I have to credit God with directing the hands and brain of this doctor, I feel that his skill and good judgement enabled me to recover from a very difficult thyroid surgery faster than I might have with any other surgeon. One week to the day after having my sternum opened, much the same as is required for open heart surgery, I did 45 minutes of cardio in a fitness center. I also experienced practically no pain, only minor soreness.

March 30th, 2010
The only thing I didn't like.. is that Dr. Vara charged me for removing my staples and some drainage I had BECAUSE of my surgery. He told me EVERYTHING pertaining to the surgery would be INCLUDED. I received a $300.00 invoice stating - removing the staples was another surgery and charged me again for another surgery for pumping the little drainage he removed. I thought this was part of the surgery?? Last time I had my hernia removed, 6 years ago.. it was included. I never knew that removing the staples and drainage was considered surgery in his office. I don't think I should be paying the $300.00 but my insurance said he coded it as surgery and I have to pay for the removal of the staples and drainage. Has everyone else been charged for that? Next time Dr. Vara, BEFORE the surgery, should let us know there will be a charge for the removal, of the staples and drainage.

March 27th, 2009
Dr.
Highest recommendation.

March 10th, 2009
linda Haley
I would suggest this Doctor to anyone , he is wonderful, caring , compassionate and I trust him completely. I've had 2 surgeries by him and the care he gives to his patients is unlike anyone else. He truly is a wonderful Dr and surgeon and the Mt Carmel is blessed to have him.

August 11th, 2008
The best of the best
I have been with Dr. Vara for 13 years and several surgerys. I was diagnosed with cancer almost a year ago, Dr. Vara did my surgery and has followed me through all of this. Of all the Drs. I am affiliated with Dr. Vara is the most caring and will spend as much time needed to answer all of my questions. He truely cares about his patients and their families. If it were not for him I do not know what I would have done.