Emergency Physician, Family Practitioner, Sports Medicine Specialist, General Practitioner, Orthopedic Surgeons, Neurologist (brain, nervous system)
Video profile
Rita Ranch
8290 S Houghton Rd
Ste 100
Tucson, AZ 85747
520-873-6200
Locations and availability (1)

3.0

|  friendly family doctor, long wait for preventive care  |  show details
Oct 4th, 2013

I'd give the doctor 4 stars if it wasn't for the 3 month wait for new patients and preventive care. I seriously hesistated to go to this practice because of that, but my coworker has been a patient there for years (and she doesn't have a boring medical history) and told me that when you're sick they get you an appointment in a timely manner, so I gave it a shot. There's not many options for primary care for adults in this part of town, and since they're open until 8pm, that makes it easier to find an appointment time that works with my schedule. The first appointment was just to establish care. Yes, Dr. Weisman was looking at the computer most of the time, but he was reading my chart and taking lots of notes and asking questions about what I was saying, which I think is a very good thing! At the end of the appointment, Dr. Weisman took a few minutes to look me in the eye and chat for a couple of minutes and I didn't feel rushed at all! A few months later, I had another appointment to discuss pain I'd been having for several weeks. He listened to my symptoms, and my family history and my worries about catching things early to prevent/postpone disability. He did a physical examination of the areas I'd mentioned pain and then discussed the blood tests he was ordering (tests for a few possibilities, not just his first idea). I brought my 4-year-old and 15-month-old kids were with me that time, and he was great with them! He even had a "conversation" with my 15-month-old for a few minutes at the end of the visit (she just stared him down despite chattering away earlier in the visit, it was very funny!). This was a 6pm appointment, so I wouldn't have blamed him for running late or rushing, but I didn't have to wait long and didn't feel rushed either (a rare combinaiton!) He called me personally when my labs came in, and left a voice mail with all the pertinent info (I was in a meeting when he called) and told me he would probably be referring me to a rheumatologist, but he was ordering a few more tests with the same blood sample and he'd call me when those tests came back. His nurse had told me at my visit that Dr. Weisman (or his personal nurse, but often the doc himself) calls patients with the lab results, which has not been common with my previous doctors. A few days later, his nurse called back with the results and the referral, plus the written referral was left at the front desk for me to pick up at my convenience. So far, I really like Dr. Weisman. If they hired more doctors or whatever it is that's generating that long lead time for preventive and new patient appointments, I'd be totally blown over. For now, I'll settle for a doctor that is a pleasure.

May 17th, 2012

Dr Weisman is pretty awesome. Their (Carondelet) system is NOT awesome. It is unfortunate for patients, the Dr. is not to blame. They do have several drs and several locations and as long as a person is able and willing they can get you an appt same day or in a day ot two if you ate flexible. I, my husband, my child, my parent LOVE Dr. Weisman.

|  Not recommended!!!!  |  show details
by chris s. on Feb 9th, 2010

I just moved to the area and thought it would be good to a find a doctor in the area. Well, little did I know that it would take two months to book an appointment with this doctor because I am a new patient. I suspect it will also take a while if I am sick, however I could be wrong. But I do know they treat new patients like crap. Doctors may make a lot of money, but we are still your customers.

Oct 7th, 2009

I'm unsure of him and unsure if I'll return. Initially it takes months to get in to a dr. in this office period. He acts like he listens however his diagnosis is not close to what the problem was. I was left hanging.

by MAR on Mar 23rd, 2009

After reading the one and only negative review, I felt I needed to say that I had the opposite response to Dr. Weisman. I found him to be extremely professional, up to date and willing to listen! Can't ask for much more than that unless he can wave a magic wand and have me loose weight! He even took the time to review my meds and look for ways to help save me money by substituting something else. The bad guy in this whole picture isn't Dr. Weisman, but the insurance company who won't allow physicians to practice without having a 16 year old make treatment decisions for them and making them see more patients in a day than is humanly possible.

Jan 12th, 2009

When I came to Arizona he was the only physician in the area. After I had a car accident I was taken off my Actos for diabetes. When I returned to Dr Weisman and asked to be put back on my medications he refused to put me back on Actos. After rising blood sugars and four years of asking for the Actos, he sent me to A Diabetic Management Nurse. The nurse put me back on the Actos and within 2 weeks my blood sugars were in normal range again. I was not satisified with Dr Weisman, as he appears to be more interested in his schedule than his patients. I recently changed from Medicare to Humana and chose a new physician in the same clinic. I was informed I could not change to a new doctor without Dr Weisman's approval. I received a call this afternoon stating that Dr Weisman would not let me see the other doctor.Since when can a doctor dictate which physician a patient can see. When in his office he sits with his computer with his back to you the whole time you're seeing him. Also, everytime I see him he tell's me and my daughter what complex patients we are and several times he has told me due to the time constraints I could not be seen as my daughter took too much time. I am disabled and depend upon my daughter to drive me to my appointments. I worked in the healthcare industry for over 31 years and I never had one of my doctors talk with a patient that way. If the doctor was running a few minutes late I would just let the next patient to be seen know that he was running a little behind and would give the PATIENT the option of waiting or rescheduling.I think what he said was rude and disrespectful and against the Patient Bill of Rights. Thank You