Anesthesiologist (pain control), Internists, Critical Care Specialist, Pulmonologist (lungs), Surgical Specialist
Video profile
Collin County Pulmonary Associates
1630 Coit Rd
Ste 104
Plano, TX 75075
972-964-0170
Locations and availability (1)

Some ratings provided by Yahoo.
by NB on Jun 5th, 2014

I work in the medical field and am pretty critical of other offices. I really liked Dr. Betz and his staff. Dr. Betz personally spent considerable time understanding my problem and seemed genuinely interested in helping me. I was very pleased with his care and professionalism. This office deserves 4 stars.

|  Horrific and neglegent. AMA report in progress  |  show details
Apr 6th, 2013

My father, a now 60 year old IT executive and Deacon O his church, was a patient of Dr Betz following a triple bypass procedure. It is nothing short of a miracle that he survived the experience.. Unfortunately he didn't walk away unscathed. Thanks to the incompetence exhibited by this physician there is now permanent damage to his lung which became evident following a 2 year period where my father could barely breath and would cough almost constantly and so violently it has resulted in vomiting. He was repeatedly given fabricated causes for this persistent ailment and was even given cough syrup. Eventually Dr Betz concluded that there was a membrane containing fluid which may or may not be the cause of the issues. He repeatedly punctured this sterile abscess in my fathers chest to drain a small amount of fluid. The doctor offered no feasible cause for the fluid which was drained without a change to his condition several times. FINALLY after 2 excruciating years 3 MRIs and a number of completely inaccurate random guesses my father finally listen to his family's pleas to get another doctor to evaluate the situation. Medical records. MRI results etc are NOT electronically handled since the doctor seems to shy away from anything involving technology which made getting his records moved extremely challenging. Thankfully the 2nd opinion received was from an qualified professional who immediately diagnosed a pocket of fluid which put pressure on the lower lobe of the lung. Surgery not draining, was performed to remove the membrane that had formed which allowed the fluid to refill, and what was found was horrifying. An infection, presumably caused by needle punctures to the membrane, effectively turning a sterile abscess into a raging infection that filled his chest cavity and had collapsed a lobe of his lung. It was this infection which infiltrated the lung tissues to the degree of collapse, NOT the pocket of fluid that allowed the symptom to get increasingly worse over time. Several hours of scrapping infected tissue from inside my father's chest cavity and a stay in ICU on iv antibiotics was required. To our dismay it was discovered that the infect ion and excessively long time frame it was allowed to continue without treatment had caused lung damage which is permanent. Thankfully no damage to his repaired heart has been found. The fact that this physician did not / could not correct this issue in 2 years with a huge variety of "diagnostics" performed is unforgivable. What kind of doctor allows this kind of suffering to continue? The very fact that a 2nd opinion found the issue after 1 visit with a hand full of tests without the benefit of even seeing the history that Dr Betz was unable to provide until a visit to the office to physically pick up films and incomplete paper records, sometimes containing such inadequate notes the doctor had difficulties recalling the details of the last appointment,speaks volumes. We rely on trained medical professionals for our very lives which makes this practitioner dangerous. I am in the process of reporting this situation to the AMA and requesting that at a minimum a warning is permanently associated to this doctor for potential patience to consider before they decide to put their/their loved ones lives in his hands. The reviews i have read do not even sound like the same physician we were subjected to. This is not 1 bad appointment, this is almost 2 years of actions and lack of knowledge that could have easily ended my fathers life and I will sleep much better once these facts are available to people considering the care of Dr Betz. We all feel fortunate that we eventually encountered a competent physician that had the ability to analyze the symptoms and test results and make this horrific situation stop before it caused additional damage or death. My advice to potential patients would be to really consider their choice. Even with positive feedback from other posters here it is dangerous to over look the fact that Dr Betz even has the potential of this level of negligence and in my opinion should seriously consider whether or not to risk their well being . "Care" such as this, which often follows a major surgical procedural, is not only shocking but should in no way be tolerated or allowed

|  The best lung doctor  |  show details
Nov 16th, 2011

I can't say enough good things about Dr. Betz and the wonderful staff he has in his Plano office.All are very caring people and are so willing to help in anyway they can. It is so rare to find this patient focused doctor office these days...especially when some of us are dealing with terminal illnesses.

|  Great Professional!  |  show details
Sep 1st, 2011

This guy is a real caring professional and I would recommend him to anyone. Office staff is great. No waiting at all. You always feel like you are his only patient. Really. He takes his time to listen to your complaints and think things through before diagnosing.In short, he is more than just a doctor, he is a good scientist as well!

|  Perfect for my needs  |  show details
Mar 2nd, 2011

I have a less common terminal lung disease. While I have supplemented my care with trips to Centers of Excellence in other parts of the country, Dr. Betz helps me manage it on a day to day basis. In talking to others on forums I'm always reminded how lucky I am to have someone who can see me quickly when needed. Many pulmonologists are so busy with critical care in hospitals that they just don't have the office time. He is knowledgeable but also very open to additional opinions at Major Teaching Hospitals. He knows me well and helps me with making the choices I need to make, supporting whatever I decide. As to his staff, they have always been extremely friendly to me. I adore his receptionist and like the others I've dealt with as well. If I need something special, such as a letter or form filled out, they always get it promptly.

|  Saved My Life  |  show details
by Edward on Apr 12th, 2010

I can't say enough about Dr Betz. I October while receiving a CT Scan for appedicitis, a 1" lung infiltrate was found. I followed up in November with a lung CT scan and was referred to Dr Betz.During the exam, Dr Betz said "If I were you i would be more concerned with my heart than my lungs". I was confused....he explained that the radiologist used the word extensive when discribing cardiac calcification.The next day i went to a Cardiologist who basically said i was too young to worry about heart disease. Because of Dr Betz's words to me, I was persistent and requested more testing. Low and behold, I had a coronary blockage. The next day I had a stent inserted and have since lost 30 lbs and working towards a healthy life style.You see everyone told me I was too young for heart disease and my primary care Dr even sent me to a psycologist because he said my heart was fione and it was all in my head.Thank GOD for Dr. Betz!!! I feel he saved my life and stopped me from having a massive heart attack!

by Micaela on Oct 1st, 2009

Dr. Betz has been my asthma Dr for 15 years. He listens to his patients and gives detailed explanations of how he is fixing you. I have not always been thrilled with his staff because they aren't the most focused on customer service, but will endure because he is a good Dr.

Apr 18th, 2009

Get to know him and he is GREAT! Been a patient of his for over 7 years, great guy!

by William on Feb 5th, 2009

This guy is a prick. Enough said.

by Ruth M on Dec 14th, 2008 on yahoo.com

Dr. Betz is one of the best doctors in Texas or anywhere else for that matter. I went to him while living in Plano years ago. I am about to contact him again after all these years, because he listens to his patients, he is kind, has a bedside manner and really cares about his patients. He is in that league of some of the last best doctors in these United states.

Read Full Review at yahoo.com