Dr. Timothy Spencer DO Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.8
  • 18 reviews

August 29th, 2016
Rude and arrogant
Dr came in an hr past the appointed time and pulled up my CT scans on the computer. As he talked into the computer screen, I could barely hear him. I told him I had missed my appt for hearing aides due to my fall and injury and he could please speak up. He turned to look at me and said, "then stand over here" next to the computer. I have a compressed L2 vertebrae plus broken clavicle and was in a lot of pain. I responded it would be easier if he could please just speak a bit louder. He then asked me "easier for who?" Really!?!?! He asked if I could see the screen from where I sat, which I acknowledged I could. Then he started getting snippy and asked if I wanted him to "fix it". Of course. No discussion to different options, or why there wasn't any recourse other than surgery. Brought in a pile of.paper work to sign, stating he had gone over options, different requirements, and on. Which he hadn't so far. He scheduled a surgery date and time without consulting me if the date worked, 16 days out. I asked if I changed my mind, how much time did I need to prior to surgery and the answer was 14 days. Less then that, there would be a $150 penalty fee assessed. I still have two more dr's to see post hospital stay. No way was i going to schedule a surgery without 2ND opinions. I just collected my paper work and said no, thanks. Timothy Spencer, DO., needs to take a refresher course on bedside manners and common courtesy. I am hiring his services, not the other way around. The office staff was friendly and efficient. The only good thing about my visit.

June 27th, 2016
Other than his mustache he was a very good hockey player. Actually he is an excellent physician and surgeon. We miss him and his advice/personality.

March 11th, 2015
Great Surgeon and a Great Guy!!

November 21st, 2012
Back is worse
The cage you put in my wife's back shifted and now she is in the worse pain of her life.That was her 3rd back surgery and you assured us she would be better. She has a drop foot along with pinched nerves, scar tissue and intense pain..thanks a lot. we will be seeking assistance...

October 16th, 2012
Review from Sandy Watkins
Thank you Dr. Spencer for being the best neurosurgeon I have ever dealt with. Best bedside manner, best in answering questions. Did 3 spinal surgeries on my spine and received tremendous relief from pain. I'm not sure where you are right now, but I hope your new patients appreciate you as much as I did.

July 20th, 2012
3 surgeries later still in pain!
2007-first fusion-failed2008-revision of first fusion-failed2009-screw removal2012-pain is worse than first surgery.This Dr. cared only about doing procedures.I was not even a good candidate for a fusion, but I was desperate for help. He lied to me and told me my pain was from scar tissue. My pain is from a non union, not fused!

June 18th, 2012
I had ACDF approx. 2 years ago and have experienced significant improvement, less headaches and decreased pain, and improved range of motion.

October 17th, 2011
Mrs.
I could not be happier. I thought long and hard before going forward for my lumbar fusion. A very popular surgeon in my area had told me that, "hate to tell you this cuz this is what I do for a living but, seeing your films, too much wrong, would not touch your back". Finally we found Dr.Spencer. I came to the opinion that if that worst part of my back could be fixed even 50%, I would be happy. BUT to my very pleasant surprise, I am very happy to say that it is 99% better. I feel better, after my recovery time, than I ever dreamed I would. He did such a great job, always had time to chat and go over my films with me, answer all my questions, never made me feel rushed. After I asked my questions, he said, "next" like he would answer even more questions. I just could not be happier. I had a fusion. Within that same time frame two of my cousins had similar surgery, though there's was not as extensive as mine. I came home from the hospital sooner than they did. They had to use a wheel chair for a short time but then a walker for several months........I walked around the very first day....never ever needed a walker, cane, etc......I was told the entire healing time was about 15 months.......I did everything I was told to do and after 15 months, I just sat back and said, "WOW" I wish everyone would feel this good. I love you, Dr. Spencer. YOu gave me back my life. I have not felt this good since 17 years ago. I can stand up straight, no pain, sit with no pain, etc......People say that they can even see it in my face.......how much happier I am.

September 15th, 2011
MISTAKE!
He seemed great at first. He seemed like he really wanted to help me. So I had back surgery and I felt great after, for a while then then pain returned and I found out I had broken a screw. He said he had only had a couple of people that this had happened to and it was rare he hadn't had one in years. He said we could remove the screw and it should be fine again. So I signed all the papers for the hardware removal and that's when they said he is switching hospitals and they couldn't give me a date for surgery. I asked if the were switching the office location and they told me no. So I waited and waited hearing nothing from them I had to call to see if they knew anything yet and they said that they still could not give me a date. So I waited 5 months before I had them refer me to someone else. When I got to the new doctor he told me that he just seen a lady with a broken screw from Dr. Spencer with in the last month! And he told me that they usually break because it did not fuse. Then a week later I get a letter from Dr. Spencer saying that he moved his office and wont be in the area anymore! So if you are thinking about going to Dr. Spencer, PLEASE don't. He is surgery happy and only care about money. He lies and does not give you correct information.He has screwed up my life and I hope he doesn't do it to anyone else.

August 18th, 2011
After 20 years I can finally walk without pain...
This guy is the real deal. He reads the MRI/CT data himself as he can see things the radiologists miss. I had a multi-level lumbar fusion 2 years ago,the surgery went flawless. I can do anything I want without pain.

August 3rd, 2011
Bad experience
Had TLIF surgery in 2008. Had recurring leg pain and was told by Dr. Spencer that it was not related to the surgery. In 2010 went for a 2nd opinion and was told that surgery was not successful. BMP was crushing the nerves. Had a revision by another surgeon. I'm still hoping the nerves regenerate.

July 30th, 2011
Dr Spencer is the role model for future spine care
Dr Spencer is the most up-to-date spine surgeon in Michigan. His method of bone fusion is the least painful and fastest healing possible. His knowledge of spine care is unequalled in West Michigan. If you need back or neck surgery you need to consult Dr Spencer. You will be impressed.