Colorectal Surgeon (colon & rectum), Surgical Specialist
255 W Lancaster Ave
Ste 332
Paoli, PA 19301
610-647-3077
Locations and availability (3)

2.5

|  Prescribes incorrectly/dangerously; Does not apologize  |  show details
Sep 6th, 2012

I had been suffering for 2 weeks from what I thought was a haemmorhoid and went to emergency unable to bear the pain and then got an appointment with Dr. Fox 2 days later. By that time I had come to the conclusion, this was actually an anal fissure. The doctor saw me for 1 minute and after hearing my descriptions, correctly diagnosed my situation as an anal fissure. But he spent no more than a minute with me and did not seem interested in answering any questions I had.He prescribed Nystatin that will help heal this and said I need to come see him after 3 to 4 weeks. I tried it for a week but saw no improvement in the pain. Turns out Nystatin would do nothing to my anal fissure because I dont have any infection and it heals fungal infections, not fissures (according to a gastroenterologist that I saw a few weeks later).Thankfully we had done our research on fissures before meeting Dr. Fox and my wife asked him to also give a prescription of Nitroglycerin in case the Nystatin did not work. He was not willing to but we convinced him to. We got the Nitro from the pharmacy and noticed it was 2%. Fortunately, I had done some googling beforehand and found that only .2% (10 times weaker dose) should be used for fissures. So I called up the doctor's office to check if 2% is indeed the correct dosage. I got a call back after half a day asking me to NOT use it but instead they will generate a new prescription for .2% and that I need to pick it up. There was NO apology for this potentially dangerous prescription mixup.I asked the doctor what do I do about this 2% prescription that I had already gotten for about $20. I had not opened it and the pharmacy is not willing to get it back. He finally agreed he might have made a mistake when keying it electronically by typing 2% instead of .2%. But he said he cannot do anything about it. A doctor with some conscience would have owned up for this fault and paid for this from his own pocket. I put off the phone in disgust. I even thought of suing them for this unprofessional behavior but did not want to put myself through this hassle. Why have such doctors if the patients have to do all the research and use them as prescribing robots which even then dont do it right.I would not recommend him to anyone.PS: After 2 weeks of suffering, I saw a gasteroenterologist who said Nitro is the best way to treat fissures and she asked me to stop Nystatin. She also examined my rectum using a scope to make sure there were no other issues. I am feeling a lot better now. Thank God for such doctors.

|  Excellent Physician  |  show details
by Excellent Surgeon on May 29th, 2010

Dr. Fox is an excellent surgeon and did a lumpectomy, revision due to my diagnosis of breast cancer. My results were excellent and over time the scarring became much improved.He really attempts to do the best with sometimes difficult situations. I would highly recommend Dr. Fox to anyone needing any type of surgery. He has a great bed side manner and really cares for his patients.JLW

|  Breast Cancer Surgery  |  show details
Mar 27th, 2010

Promised that my breast would not look bad after my lumpectomy and I was glad. I knew I would have a couple scars and I didn't care as long as the cancer was gone. Unfortunately, after the operation my breast was all twisted and distorted. Also, since the lab tests showed more cancer at the borders of the specimens, I had to have a second surgery to remove the remaining cancer. I was in a lot of pain thereafter so, after a couple more months a third operation was performed to remove a lot of scar tissue. Two yrs later I am still in a lot of pain and my breast looks awful. I am not going back to this doctor. Don't get me wrong, I am soooo grateful to be cancer-free but I have seen other breast cancer survivors whose lumps were bigger than mine and they have no pain or distortion.