Dr. Tobey Leung MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

November 30th, 2016
I Love My Doctor
My name is Racquel and I am proud to be born in Brazil. Dr Leung treated my leg injury from playing collegiate soccer. I am 2nd degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and black belt in Tae Kwon Do too. My dad is 5th degree black belt in BJJ. Dr Leung is a grandmaster and helped me and my dad to fine tune some techniques. Dr Leung gave us tickets to see the San Jose Earthquakes. Dr Leung is very nice and different than other doctors. He is like a regular person who happens to be a doctor.

November 12th, 2016
Brilliant Clinician
I am at present a retired professor, and I saw Dr Leung for my upper back pain. If I may be permitted, I like to share some important demographic information, hopefully provide major insight to our modern society of young people and explain why I have been previously reluctant to rate physicians before I explain how Dr Leung saved my life. We have to go back to the turn of the century in America, when unlike today, patients in general respected their doctors highly despite the fact modern medicine was in its infancy, without insulin and antibiotics. During the post-war 40s America and I still remember up to the 60s, the general public regarded their physicians with high esteem. Then, a gradual downward trend developed in the 70s to 90s when patients started to view physicians with less esteem. The arrival of the Internet has provided much positive but also negative things to society. The technology and doctor review sites were available in the mid-late 2000s but patients didn't use these applications much unt

October 13th, 2016
Forever thankful
I had a whiplash injury that won’t go away after being rear-ended. I liked my doctor, Paul Willis, who referred me to his colleague Dr Leung. People don’t realize what chronic pain can do to them. I couldn’t hold down a job. I was miserable with the unrelenting pain. I made my spouse and kids miserable too. Our relationship soured and we separated, then divorced. My job didn’t offer health insurance but Dr Leung saw me anyways. He was the most understanding doctor. He said I might have a condition that could be managed with a neck spine procedure by burning the nerves, but I couldn’t afford to pay out of pocket. Dr Leung said he’ll waive his fee and do the procedure for free, but the problem was the spine procedure had to be done at Enloe Outpatient Surgery Center which had the equipment needed for the procedure. I couldn’t work because of the pain and didn’t have any savings, but Dr Leung managed my pain in the meanwhile with meds. He chose the cheapest pain med - methadone. Dr Leung waived his office fees for med renewal. Because of the type of pain medication that methadone was, I picked up the prescription every month. Dr Leung told me not to worry about paying him and promised it will not go to collections. My lawsuit settled after 3 years and I had just enough left to pay for the outpatient surgical center bill. Dr Leung waived his physician billing for the procedure. It took a few weeks for the procedure to kick in, then I noticed big time pain relief. Dr Leung gradually decreased my med dose and I stopped taking methadone. After Dr Leung reviewed the job description and taught me how to avoid reinjurying myself, I got a new job. I never received collection notice or threats for not paying Dr leung’s medical bills. I have a good job and steady girlfriend and a decent life because of Dr Leung’s kindness. I have health insurance through my new job and can see Dr Leung if and when the pain returns.

September 20th, 2016
good doctor el mejor medico
Me from Puerto Rico and my son born here San Jose. I work housekeeping hotel. Me and mi esposa no talk no more. He no stop drinking. No dejo de beber alcohol. My son only 7 doctor say cancer. So much pain he cry and no sleep. Medicine no strong no work for my son make sick. Cancer doctor want doctor Leung see my son. Mi hijo talk english more not like me. Doctor Leung block nerve use needle stop pain. El procedimiento se detuvo el dolor! Mi hijo now sleep good no more cry. Doctor Leung nice man joke with my son they laugh. He like doctor Leung mucho mas. Doctor Leung smile happy all the time mucho give to cancer children all the time. He give autografo de beisbol, sueter, futbol y entradas help children happy. Favorito de mi hijo es Yadier Molina, Alberto Pujols, Papi Ortiz but doctor Leung say no easy get autografo but say will try. He no get autografo de Yadier, Alberto, o Papi but get Felix Hernandez, my son pitcher favorito. My son so so happy love doctor Leung. He very good man. He like children very much. Very good with children. Doctor Leng give cancer children Mike Trout, Jose Altuve, Klayton Kershaw all children very happy too. Doctor Leung dice Altuve es muy agradable. I like doctor Leung too He help mi hijo very much. Leung medico es el mejor medico! Mi hijo le gusta mucho. El es muy amable y divertido. Estimado Leung medico: gracias por todo. Besos y abrazos, Senora Garcia.

September 14th, 2016
well liked and respected
Dr. Tobey Matthew Leung treated me for complications after the amputation of my legs performed for life threatening traumatic injuries when I was deployed in Afghanistan. I'm not allowed to speak much about myself, my rank, branch of service, and mission. I can only report Dr. Leung was a God-send because I was having horrible pain for years before I saw him. Dr. Leung called it Phantom pain for the pain I was experiencing in the portion of my missing leg. I knew my leg and foot was amputated, but didn't understand why I was having such horrible pain until Dr. Leung explained it to me. He explained it so a layman like me could understand. He took the time to make sure I understand what Phantom Pain was and spent the time to discuss treatment options with my sister and me. He used war metaphors and language that I could relate to and understand. He explained the important difference between Phantom Sensation and Phantom Pain. I had the worst kind, the Phantom Pain instead of Sensation. The pain was unpleasant and I wanted to chop my leg off, but it was already amputated. It was excruciatingly painful and constantly gnawed at me to the point I couldn't function, couldn't sleep, I couldn't concentrate, and was always angry, and irritable. I was a bear to live with. I wanted to saw off my leg but couldn't saw off what was already missing. Dr. Leung was honest with me and told me from the start that it is a notorious difficult pain condition to treat or control, even by specialists like himself, especially since it wasn't managed earlier, but he promised me that he would try his best and use any arsenal at his disposal. He gave me the choice of starting with the most basic or reserved tactics first, such as heat, biofeedback, massage, relaxation, P.T., TENS unit, and advance to more powerful weapons as needed like different medications, injections, steroids, nerve blocks, Neurostimulation devices implanted in my spinal cord or brain, surgery to remove scar tissue that could entrap my nerve, or whether to start off with the Drone Aircraft and other most advanced weapons of modern warfare, which have the greatest chance of success but also the greatest risks. He said it was a personal choice, and explained all the weapons available to combat Phantom Pain, and allowed my input by attentively listening to me, before proceeding with a battle plan. I'm sure Dr. Leung is busy and he's heard it thousands of times, but he didn't cut me off and allowed me to voice my opinions and concerns openly, without fear or intimidation from the other doctors who treated me before. He also patiently listened to my sister who drove me and answered all of our questions before developing a strategy and deciding on the tactics. To make a long story short, Dr. Leung was eventually able to attack the enemy and won the battle this time against a formidable enemy, known as Phantom Pain, a very unpleasant and disabling condition. Dr. Leung is gifted in procedures, but it was his considerate and gentle personality, openness to share, and bedside manner that separates him from all the prior doctors. My sister is very educated, religious and thinks highly of Dr. Leung too. She is called an etymologist, someone who studies word origins, and also studies onomastics, the study of the origin of people's names. She tells me Tobey has both Hebrew and Greek origin and means God is Good, while Matthew has the Hebrew origin of Gift of God. Leung is the 21st most common surname in China, has many pronunciations and many other spellings, and means different things, depending on dialect. It commonly means Beam as in the Supporting Beam or Bright Light. In some dialects, it means Spirit as in Spiritual World. It also means Clever, Intelligent, Beautiful Jade or Gem, Flexible, Agile, Nimble, Dexterous, Sensitive, Soaring, Rising High, To Lead, and Guiding Principles. His first and middle names together, Tobey Matthew would mean Good Gift of God, and Leung is the Beaming Light toward the Spiritual World. So, my sister's literal interpretation of Dr. Tobey Matthew Leung is The Good Gift of God sent to Lead us all toward the Spiritual World. I was under alot of pressure and stress in serious harsh situations in a hostile environment during my time in Afghan, so I can tell Dr. Leung is not the insecure type and not intimidated by difficult situations or problems, although it's a different type of setting. He's not intimidated by others and he allowed my sister to observe my procedures, while my other doctors didn't allow her to sit in on the procedures and surgeries I already had done on me. She noticed Dr. Leung is ambidextrous, serious yet relaxed, and does not get frustrated. She said he has great hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills. My sister noticed that the entire staff, including all the nurses and workers in the outpatient surgical center really respects and follows Dr. Leung. She said all the employees had nothing but wonderful things to say about Dr. Leung, and they all said great things about him to me too, like the person who checked me in, the nurse who started my IV, the nurse who gave me sedation and assisted Dr. Leung, all the nurses in the recovery room. Just as it's important in the military chain of command, you could tell they both liked and respected Dr. Leung alot and looked up to him as their leader throughout the whole procedure process from start to end. My sister said Dr. Leung keeps a light atmosphere and open environment, friendly to the workers who he felt responsible and cared for. It's a serious business, but Dr. Leung makes the work place fun and enjoyable for his staff. I think that tells alot about the type of person he is. He is intelligent, flexible, nimble and sensitive, just like what my sister said his name means. He is good, as a doctor and more importantly as a person and a God-send like I already mentioned. My sister who is more religious than me, had conversations with Dr. Leung during my medical visits, and she literally believes and means it when she says he was sent to lead us toward the spiritual world or eternal salvation. I say God Bless America and God Bless Dr. Leung!

September 10th, 2016
One of the World's Greatest Teachers and Healers
Hi, I’ve been meaning to post this review sooner, but we all tend to be busy with our own lives, don’t we? Also, it’s not easy to explain Dr. Leung’s numerous talents. My husband, a police chief, wrote a recent review and I wanted to follow up with my own. I hold a medical degree as a forensic psychiatrist. My husband started to see Dr. Leung many years ago and I subsequently saw him for my injury. We’ve subsequently become very good friends and have had dinner at restaurants, numerous talks about a wide variety of topics and have had Dr. Leung over at our home many times. Dr. Leung knows the boundary of the patient-physician relationship, but he’s also very friendly and thoughtful to have shared so much of his knowledge with us. Besides his excellent & compassionate medical care and wonderful bedside manner, I was initially impressed by how much he knows about general psychology, clinical psychiatry and criminal psychology. He has profound understanding about human behavior and is highly skilled in treating mental disorders. My husband was initially baffled by Dr. Leung’s in depth understanding about the intricacies of the complex criminal justice system and criminal behavior. My dad is a clinical and forensic psychologist and was blown away by Dr. Leung when we introduced them. There’s hundreds of psychological tests, scales, and instruments, such as the Wechsler Memory Scale, which is a battery of “classic” neuropsychological tests of memory, encoding and learning. My dad is a stickler for using the most widely used, respected and researched tests, such as the Millon and MMPI. My dad also loves to use the LNNB-II, LNNB-ST, WRAML-II, WCST, NSC, TMT, BVRT, NEO-PI-R, BYI-II, The Comprehensive Rorschach, BDI, BAI, TAT/CAT, Rotter Blanks, HTP, MSI, SASSI-III, HCR-20, SVR-20, Hare PCL-SV, SARA, CARE-2, SCID-D, TSSCC, DAPS, DES, MDI, TSI, among others. What blew my dad away was how educated Dr. Leung is on the wide array of neuropsych tests and how deep his understanding is on normal and abnormal psychology. Even more, Dr. Leung is naturally gifted in human behavior and criminal profiling so he can “size up” someone rather quickly and give an accurate assessment, even more precise and concise than what my dad can do after spending many days giving and analyzing a wide battery of tests taken by a particular subject. In over 40 years in his profession, my dad has never come close to meeting someone like Dr. Leung. Dr. Leung has developed a revolutionary, integrated theory in the behavioral sciences a long time ago, which can accurately predict human behavior and subsequently change the world, but he has his reluctant reasons to share it and so he shares it selectively to people who he knows closely. My dad remains astonished and speechless at how intelligent, keen, insightful and gifted Dr. Leung is. My dad marvels at Dr. Leung and thinks he’s a prodigy/freak of human nature, but in a good way, a very good way! We’ve become pretty close and all of us have benefited tremendously from his friendship. Dr. Leung has provided me with so many invaluable ideas in my daily work and given wonderful advice to my dad in his profession. And my husband wishes he’d known then what he knows now from Dr. Leung’s teachings as my husband says he would’ve managed so many situations differently to achieve a more positive outcome. We’re forever grateful to Dr. Leung, but there’s much more. Dr. Leung has taught us about spirituality (not referring specifically to religion in Dr. Leung’s teaching, although he knows about religion, boy does he know religions; world religions in minute detail, but he’s not a religious fanatic and is very open-minded to inter-religion dialogue) – he uses the term spiritual in reference to “inner peace & moral development”. We’ve all come a little bit closer to finding inner peace and growing morally as a result of Dr. Leung’s presence. Don’t tell anyone, but my macho husband has taken up meditation! Meanwhile, my dad has focused more in his daily prayers, while I like to be outdoors and garden. Dr. Leung teaches we all must find our own methods, ways, and path to find inner peace. He’s taught us the moral duty and importance of becoming better people and being more cognizant of our daily actions; of how what we do impact other’s lives and the environment. Besides being our friend and doctor, he’s like our spiritual teacher or guide. Dr. Leung have spent many selfless hours with us; he’s given so much of himself, in terms of time and labor/effort to help us in what Dr. Leung refers to as the “3 primary planes” of human life: the lowest is the physical plane, then mental and finally the highest is spiritual. I know most people won’t get this concept of the major planes (and Dr. Leung clearly explained to us why), but he’s inspired us through his example to try harder & become more moral. As Dr. Leung teaches, the physical plane is where most people live on but are unaware of the other 2 planes or dimensions of human life. Materialism and commercialism, sex, drugs, money, cars, boats/yachts, physical collections, such as coins, stamps, sports memorabilia, etc are basically on the physical plane. Medications, procedures and surgery are primarily on the physical plane. The mental plane is where my dad and I work on professionally, as a psychologist and psychiatrist, respectively. Actually, even my husband who has to use his knowledge about human behavior to excel in the numerous tasks of his profession as a police chief. However, Dr. Leung has made it clear to us that many people in the mental health field are not very good at it since they don’t live on the mental plane. Dr. Leung emphasizes that the ability to role-take and empathy at a high level are essential skills required to function on the mental plane but few people have developed those skills adequately. On the other hand, Dr. Leung explained that people don’t need formal education in the psychological sciences to live on the mental plane; some people are naturally gifted. Finally, very few people live on the spiritual plane because it first requires being completely honest with themselves and finding total inner peace and fully developing their ability to morally reason and act. Thus, very few people reside there and furthermore, few people even recognize the spiritual plane of human life. My entire family have been touched by Dr. Leung’s presence and teachings, as he’s a moral exemplar, whom we can all look up to as a role model of living a moral/spiritual life, free of shame, hate, anger, aggression, selfishness, delusion, egotism, greed, lust, and misguided desires, such as excessive concern over how we look, how we are perceived, recognition by others, approval from others, rewards, awards, fame, prestige, materialism, enormous wealth, power, ownership and so forth. Dr. Leung lives on the spiritual plane, but I’m very concerned for him, for his happiness. He continues to live there (spiritual plane), but he’s held back by his love for his patients and humanity. He’s stuck in between, which cannot be healthy for him. He knows that, but he’s making that sacrifice…for us. He’s destined to grow further spiritually, but he’s taught us that we all have to find our own path, so he cannot take anybody else there beside him. He can only guide us. So, he unselfishly stays providing medical care on the physical plane, heals those in need on the mental plane and provides spiritual healing to those in need of and are open to it, but we’re holding him back…from his destiny, his fate to grow higher spiritually. Our needs, such as medical, and selfish requests, he attends to. So he stays in this world filled with greed, narcissism, hate, violence, power struggles, lust, drugs, forced sex slavery, ignorance, arrogance, corruption, crimes…sex crimes, violent crimes, crimes against humanity. The average patient doesn’t even understand why Dr. Leung is absent periodically from medical practice and has to see other doctors during his absence. We think he’s abandoning us, but it’s because he’s altruistic and using his natural gifts attending to the world’s other problems, so many problems that eat up so much of his time. We’re selfish, expecting him to be our physician and to be there at every office visit, when he’s giving up so much of himself…to help humankind deal with worldwide issues, hardships, destructions, etc. My entire family, including my children, husband & father will find it hard to say good-bye to him. I’ll personally find it very difficult to let go of him, as my personal physician, friend and teacher, but it’ll be selfish of me not to. I want him to be happy, to do what he wants and needs to do instead of always dealing with all our problems, from medical to broader problems that impact humanity. I want him to reach his maximum spiritual potential, to be where he was destined and fated to be, to dwell on the spiritual plane instead of having one foot there and one foot here with us, on the physical and mental planes. I tear up just thinking about having to say good-bye to him, and I know it’s a 2-way street, that it’s difficult for him to say good-bye to us…and finally let us go. But his beauty and innocence are things he can only share with us, but cannot just magically give us. We have to work on ourselves to reach the spiritual plane. We have to let go, we can’t be afraid to let him go; it’s only a matter of time when Dr. Leung can no longer stay with us and protect us. He has given so much of himself already, and it’s up to us to learn from his teachings and example. Dr. Leung teaches that Jesus, Buddha, and Socrates are the world’s 3 greatest teachers, but I and my entire family would put him there too, as one of the world’s greatest teachers and prophets. Only through time will people realize that fact. If you’re a friend, patient or former student of his and feel he’s abandoned you, believe me when I say he hasn’t. Don’t forget his teaching that you must develop the confidence and independence necessary to walk the path alone, for that’s the only way you can find salvation. Nobody can do it for you, and Dr. Leung knows he can’t do it for you, but Dr. Leung loves you for eternity. I love him dearly and my family is forever indebted to him for all the kindness and compassion he has shown us, and I’ll miss him so very much when he eventually leaves, but I hope he reaches his spiritual destiny and finds true happiness where he finally belongs.

May 30th, 2016
Unique Skill Set
I'm a police chief and my wife is a physician, and we're both patients of Dr. Tobey Leung, who specializes in sports medicine, but he chooses to practice pain management because of the need in that field and shortage of good pain management docs. It would be a lot easier for Dr. Leung if he did just sports medicine, then he wouldn't have to put up with the headaches dealing with chronic pain patients, who are a mixed bag of legitimate pain patients, drug seekers, and criminals masking as patients who seek out pain medications to sell for profit. But Dr. Leung has the perfect skill set to triage the different categories of patients who seek pain killers for their chronic pain. If one does a basic search, which does not require the resources that law enforcement have access to, one would discover Dr. Leung's deep and wide background as a criminal profiler, neuroscientist, anatomist, behavior sciences, and other medical training that my wife would be more qualified to speak on. Dr. Leung takes his responsibility seriously to treat injured athletes, workers, and the general population, from the entire spectrum from acute to chronic injury/intractable pain. He balances the judicious use of opioid pain medications when needed for the individual patient taking into account the entire clinical scenario with the duty to protect society from the potential cost of neurotic patients who are prone to self-medicate and tend to abuse controlled substances and become addicted (with potential overdose and thus uses up healthcare resources, such as Emergency Department visits), and patients with criminal intent, e.g. sell and/or trade their pain medications and other controlled substances for monetary profit. Dr. Leung is fair and practices the "balanced" approach, giving patients with chronic pain conditions who have no other options to control their pain an opportunity for a trial of chronic opioid therapy, but he correctly identifies and stratifies the candidates into low, medium, and high risk categories. Thus, it is expected that some patients who have been placed on long-term use of opioids by other physicians will get angry and vindictive when Dr. Leung collects enough evidence they are too neurotic to follow instructions on the quantity of medications they are allowed to take and/or they are involved in criminal activities, and then makes the clinical decision that those patients are poor candidates for the long-term use of controlled substances. It takes admirable courage for Dr. Leung to take the "heat" and spend the time discerning his chronic pain patient population, which actually protects the legitimate pain patients. The unhappy neurotic patients who abuse their medications and the patients with criminal intent are the ones who post negative surveys about Dr. Leung, who has the highest integrity of anyone I've ever known, including all of my subordinates in law enforcement throughout my 25+ year career.

April 19th, 2016
The Best
Dr. Leung is the bomb...like the best of the best! He knows a lot and performs a wide variety of procedures to help his patients. And he is really cool and down to earth. He gives away signed sports memorabilia that he gets autographed himself, and then gives it to his patients to help them attain goals in their treatment. Unbelievable commitment to his patients.

July 9th, 2013
Dry humor and good medicine
Dr, Tobey might take a little getting used to. He loves to joke around, but takes his patient's pain very seriously. I'm seeing him in Santa Rosa, CA. I've had epidurals from him 4 times, and all but one gave me incredible relief.

August 6th, 2012
Don't go to him!
Not qualified in the field of pain management, however is treating patients. I would not recommend! My experience seeing this physician was he left me in more pain than when I started. I personally know other patients that refused to see him after first visit.