Dr. Toheed Kamal Is this you?

3.1

Have you seen Dr. Toheed Kamal?

Afraid to go to appt

Posted on December 16th, 2015

I have not seen this doctor yet, but from the comments I have read, I am afraid to go to my appt next month. But I WILL go, and hope for the best. Just found out I have hypothyroidism, but my regular doctor is just not up on thyroid problems, and only did a TSH, T4, and T3 test. No antibodies or anything else. I'm hoping that Dr. Kamal will do a thorough exam. I am not at this time able to give him more than one star. Will update after seeing him. Thanks for listening.

Never again

Posted on August 19th, 2015

Dr is very unprofessional and stubborn. I only went one time since I couldn't get in with my typical dr. He does not believe in technology. He is either too lazy to adapt to new technology or to lazy. Either way I only see it as ignorant.

not worth the trip- an unknowledgeable doctor is a dangerous thing

Posted on August 14th, 2015

There are 2 endocrinologists in Tuscaloosa. One is not taking new patients and Kamal had openings the same week of the referral. That right there should've told me something. I have been having raging hypothyroid symptoms for a long time and my OB did some labs for me. He referred me to Dr Kamal (only endo taking new patients) to look into my thyroid issue and told me I had low DHEA. Kamal did ask some questions and upon a physical exam did an ultrasound of my thyroid gland. He said that I had two nodules but "we'd check them in a year or so". It was beyond my imagining that a doctor would say that considering that nodules can be cancerous and I have a very high ratio of family members who've had cancer. He also said that my labs (that were sent by my OB) didn't show low DHEA. I trust my OB so I got copies of my medical records. My DHEA level did absolutely register as low and Kamal put in the notes that "patient did not identify with any symptoms that would go along with thyroid issues". An absolute lie! I have no idea why this doctor was unwilling to treat me in any way or even to do more thorough labwork. I can't decide if it's just a lack of knowledge or sheer laziness. I quickly made an appt with an internist who has been systematically trying to do all the labwork and tests to find a diagnosis. We are waiting for an appt with a better endo in B'ham but he called Kamal to update on his findings (as he was uncomfortable treating endocrine issues on his own) and see if Kamal felt that he should give me treatment for the Adrenal Insufficiency the tests showed. Kamal said no, that he saw no reason to be concerned, that the patient can wait until later for treatment. Adrenal insufficiency is dangerous and worsens over time with no treatment. Once again, I was blown away by an endocrinologist who seems to have so little knowledge about his chosen field of medicine. Please, please save yourself the time and money! Do not see this doctor as you will be disappointed. Do yourself a favor and try some endocrinologists in Birmingham. Demand to be treated well and if you feel that the doctor isn't listening then find another doctor. These bad doctors will not change their course as long as people continue to pay them for horrible treatment. There's a reason why doctor Kamal almost always has openings for appts so quickly. If he was good, since he's one of two endos in a town the size of Tuscaloosa, he wouldn't be taking new patients either.

Your health is more important

Posted on September 21st, 2014

This doctor doesn't explain things well and question if this correlates to lack of knowledge. I have nothing positive to say regarding my experience. Do your self a favor and drive to Birmingham if you can't get with the one other endo in Tuscaloosa.

bad experience

Posted on September 1st, 2013

I wouldn't recommend Dr. Kamal to anyone with a thyroid problem. He doesn't listen to what you have to say as a patient! He is not friendly and I was just so uncomfortable for those 20 minutes. I was referred to him by my family doctor thinking Dr. Kamal was just as great as my family Dr. I was supposed to get an ultrasound of my goiter but he did not do it, he acted as if he did not want to touch me. He did not explain nothing about graves disease to me and he explained the meds in very few words. Every time I spoke to explain and tell him bout my condition I was cut off and over talked by him. Luckily,I have knowledge and understanding of it myself and from my family doctor. My pharmacist explained the meds to me. I have an upcoming appointment in a few days. I will b canceling and looking for another endocrinologist to give my money to, one who will listen to me and how I feel and explain things to me.

My experiences

Posted on April 10th, 2013

I have been a diabetic since 18months old. This MD has been hands down my worst experience with a endo to this day and saw him for 2-3 years. He does no listen to the patient and their needs. He is stuck on his customs and refuses to consider newer technology. I have left in tears from this guy and never felt we were on the same page or he had my best interest. I would have tried another endo in Tuscaloosa though the only other one has a waiting list over a year as with most good endo's. This might explain why you can get an apt with this MD within a week typically. I learned alot on what to avoid in choosing a good endo. With diabetes you live and learn and only hope no one else goes through the experiences that I did. Look out for your self.

Professional

Posted on October 17th, 2012

I had to wait an inordinate amount of time in the waiting area before I saw the doctor. I almost didn't come to this particular doctor because of the comments that were made regarding his bedside manner. I found him to be reserved, but friendly, even joking about Dr. Oz at one point. He does have an accent, but was not hard for me to understand. I will follow up with him in one year, as he suggested.

Worst doctor I've ever been to

Posted on October 2nd, 2012

Went to him 2 years before and said nodules were fine and nothing wrong with borderline tsh levels. 2 years later diag with Hashimotos with a Tsh of 98. Spends less than 5 mins in the room, does not provide any info and is more concerned with scheduling you for sleep lab studies. Saw him 3 times and daughter saw him once and same thing, tried to schedule for sleep labs even though neither of us had any symptoms nor complained. Does not examine you at all. A no hands, terrible cold bedside manner approach. Im a nurse and most forgiving to most doctors but if you have thyroid issues please look for another option.

Doesn't listen...

Posted on August 23rd, 2012

I have been diagnosed with low hormone levels. Dr. Kamal refuses to listen to any concerns I may have and immediately disregards any alternate treatment methods I inquire about. He also refuses to explain test results and their meanings to me. I am left to go home and research any questions I may have for myself. I recently asked about a treatment that MANY doctors are successfully using to treat my illness. I was IMMEDIATELY told that there was no chance that we would try it. There was no reason given, even when I asked, "why?". This is a treatment that Dr. Kamal is qualified and capable of trying on me and is proving to severely limit the very unpleasant side effects that I experience from current treatment. The last I checked, this is MY body and MY health. I am currently looking for a new Dr that actually cares whether or not I am feeling well and cares enough to at least explain why something may or may not be the best treatment for me. Is that too much to ask?

Posted on March 20th, 2012

Dr. Kamal has been a God send to me. He has personally and promptly returned calls on a weekend. He is a very caring individual. I am type 1 diabetic and do not have insurance. He has provided me with insulin when I have been unable to pay and worked with me on his fees. I am shocked to read any engative review of this Doctor.

Very good diabetic doctor

Posted on November 2nd, 2011

I would recommend that anyone with diabetesGo to him he knows his stuff

I like Dr. Kamal!

Posted on June 4th, 2011

I have been a patient for a number of years as has my brother. I was shocked to read some of the reviews. He always spends ample time with me & gives me all the options necessary for treatment of both my Type 1 diabetes & my thyroid condition. an excellent doctor in my opinion.