Dr. Tomas Pevny MD Patient Reviews

March 28th, 2014
Pevny Is The Man
The first time I saw Dr. Pevny was in 2006, when I was just 16 years old. I had just begun a professional ski career and was devastated when I tore my ACL and meniscus. I had my initial MRI read by a different doctor that I didn't feel comfortable with, but as soon as I met Pevny I new I wanted him as my surgeon. I had no complications with this surgery, and with much dedication to rehab, I was back on snow in 6 months. Unfortunately I re-tore my ACL overshooting a 60 foot jump to the flats in 2007, and also broke my back. Pevny was one of the first people to come to my aid in the ER; over the next few weeks he helped fix up my broken back (without surgery), and performed a 2nd ACL reconstruction. Again, after rehabbing hard, I hit the snow again in 6 months. I had many hard crashes in the 1.5 years following this 2nd surgery, and my ACL always held. In 2010 I once again tore my ACL and meniscus, but this time in the right knee. After this 3rd ACL reconstruction (both knees now with artificial ACLS) I called it quits. I found a new love in marathon running and long-distance triathlon. In the past 4.5 years I have ran 6 marathons, 20 half-marathons, and 6 triathlons (including an Ironman 70.3) without problem, a testament to the great work Pevny performed. Many people ask how I am able to run on such damaged knees, to which I always reply "hard rehab and a good surgeon." Last week I was home for a few days when I caught an edge on my skis and tore my articulator cartilage in my left knee. I knew it was coming by how hard I was on my knees as a youngster, and by how hard I have been training over the last 4 years. During my 2007 surgery on my second left ACL, Pevny warned me a microfracture was in my future. Although I spent a few days last week devastated, thinking about how I'd have to miss the Boston Marathon next month, the Ironman Boulder 70.3 in June, and other endurance races this summer, I knew it was something I had to get done. I had an MRI Thursday, and Pevny was able to get me into the surgery room that Tuesday knowing I was anxious to get this fixed and get back to my life in Denver. He even kept in touch throughout the weekend, and made sure his nurse knew he was making room for me in his upcoming surgery schedule. I know he didn't have much time in his schedule, but he made it happen anyway. It's been 3 days since surgery, and I am doing great! I wouldn't have gone to anyone else for a microfracture as I have 100% faith in Pevny. I am so grateful for him in that he fixes me every time I break, and I feel stronger every time I come back. After this microfracture heals, I will be running better than ever, with less pain than before! Thanks Pev!

November 25th, 2013
I can't say anything positive about this doctor. He lookked at the xrays for about thiry seconds and then misread the X-rays, insisting that there were no broken bones, even though the hospital radiologist had just said that there were three fractures in my foot. Pevny arrogantly said that the radiOlogist was wrong. Without the proper care and treatment from Pevny, the fractures didn't heal properly and have caused problems for me ever since then. I have spoken to many others who have also had horror stories about this man. I ask anyone with a suspected fracture, to see a different doctor. He doesn't know how to read an X-ray and probably just doesn't want to bother with injuries where he's not going to make as much money as a more sophisticated and costly procedures. I wouldn't trust him win anything. a few years prior, he insisted that my rotator cuff injury would absolutely never heal without surgery and was angry when I said that I would wait and see how it did. Well...I did physical therapy on my own and my shoulder was 90% in three months and I was back playing tennis and serving the ball as well as ever. Had I believed him and gone with surgery, it would have been very expensive, painful, and a surgery with the risks involved and six months rehab with no guarantees.....but lots of money for Pevny. Don't go to this man. I've been to him twice and he's been TOTALLY WRONG twice.