Dr. Tory McJunkin, MD
Interventional Pain Medicine
Video profile

May 26th, 2016

His clinic cares more about generating revenue than they care about the patients.

The BEST show details The BEST
by Ivy Johnston on May 22nd, 2016

I've been seeing Dr. McJunkin since he and his partner Dr. Lynch took over Arizona Pain Specialists. I have seen him for a variety of pain issues and I wouldn't see anyone else. He's kind, compassionate and he really listens to his patients. Most of all, he always knows the cutting edge treatments and does his best to get you to be the best you can be. I wouldn't want to go to anyone else. I highly recommend Dr. McJunkin. You won't be disappointed.

The focus is no longer on the patient's right to quality of life, liberty and their pursuit of happiness, it is making the most money off the backs of the chronic pain patient. Everyone should read: "Prisoners of Pain" an AARP article show details The focus is no longer on the patient's right to quality of life, liberty and their pursuit of happiness, it is making the most money off the backs of the chronic pain patient. Everyone should read: "Prisoners of Pain" an AARP article
by CSM on Oct 15th, 2015

Horrible facility! without looking at all records provided, I was told I had SI joint dysfunction and needed " their procedure" right away and was on the schedule for surgery the next day, my pain was that bad! However their very first action was to cut all of my pain medications in half, and I was told eventually it would be down to nothing, and I was to sign a pain contract with them. I was given 2 weeks of medication (half dosage as well) and I was to have expensive urine tests, that tested for numerous medications prescribed and not prescribed to me so they can bill me for that every two weeks at $850 a test, as well as the office visit, every time I come in. Since they are under "specialist" it is twice as expensive as a primary care doctor (if not more)! Not only do I suffer with fibromyalgia (yes a real thing with real pain), but I also have arthritis in multiple areas and bone on bone from knee surgery, as well as venous reflux disease in my legs causing severe pain in my legs and hips. The doctor literally spent a couple minutes with me and diagnosed the SI joint dysfunction even though I did not have an MRI showing this nor was it diagnosed by any other doctor. It is amazing the contradictions their website has from how the doctors actually treat the patient. It even states on their website how most people with this kind of SI joint pain need opiates for their pain. But when you go in their goal is to make you feel bad for being on them and they prescribe expensive invasive procedures that does not work for most people. They prescribe a lidoderm patch, and if that doesn't work well, you must be depressed, (from all the pain) so they will prescribe antidepressants, if that doesn't work then seizure medications, this is all on their website as to how they treat their patients. These types of "pain specialist "that prey on the patient's condition, and strip them of their dignity, time, and money need to be reported to the medical boards. The undue suffering, repeated procedures that do not work and denying chronic pain the right to a normal life is not only shameful but should be considered malpractice!

Margaret show details Margaret
by margaretb23@yahoo.com on Apr 8th, 2015

When a was ABLE to see McJunkin I was very happy although he did multiple procedures on me tried many alternatives he was wonderful. Then 3 years later he was unavailable doing the "business " end . I was seeing Dr in his practice the new dr I found myself in worse pain and a Dr that does not care. Of you could see McJunkin I would say go. Not now the new Dr has yet to read McJunkin ' s notes but u safely treats us a a addicts not people hoping to live life with quality. Unable to refer leaving practice for my old dr just for safety.

this dr. is not competent, an egomaniac, an extremely poor listener, and not a caring person show details this dr. is not competent, an egomaniac, an extremely poor listener, and not a caring person
by pain patient needing help to get relief from pain on Jan 24th, 2015

Run away from this money hungry egomaniac!

Too big show details Too big
by Brittany on Jul 22nd, 2014

First off, let me say that I like Dr. McJunkin. He was very nice. The issue is, that I only know him from the 5 minutes I saw him during my multiple visits there. I would go in for my appointment. They require that you show up early for your appointment. Then, after waiting for about 30-45 minutes I was taken into a room. Where I proceded to answer questions for about 5 minutes to a girl who was very nice. Then, another assistant came in and I answered the same exact questions again. Then, a nurse came in, same questions. Then the doctor came in and I answered the same questions again. All the employees seemed very nice, but I thought it was unneccesary for me to go over the same information multiple times. Maybe they are understaffed and just need more help? Maybe they are overbooking too many appointments?

VERY DISAPPOINTED - FAILED TO GIVE PROPER INFORMED CONSENT show details VERY DISAPPOINTED - FAILED TO GIVE PROPER INFORMED CONSENT
Jul 16th, 2014

I received an epidural steroid injection (ESI) from Dr McJunkin. After the procedure I have now learned that the drug that Dr McJunkin used for the ESI (KENALOG-40) is NOT APPROVED BY THE FDA FOR EPIDURAL ADMINISTRATION. Dr McJunkin never informed me that he was injecting a drug into me on an off-label basis. Had I been properly and legally informed that the drug injected into me was NOT APPROVED by the FDA for epidural administration, I would have refused the injection. The package insert for KENALOG-40 from the Bristol-Myers Squibb website clearly states at the very top "NOT FOR EPIDURAL USE". Why is a drug being injected into people epiduraly when the package insert clearly states "NOT FOR EPIDURAL USE"? At minimum, informed consent should be obtained from each patient. This is something that I never received. I have also learned that ESIs are extremely dangerous. Several people have even died from ESIs. Arachnoiditis is also another very serious complication that may result from ESIs. I was never informed of any of these potentially very serious complications from ESIs. I would not recommend Dr McJunkin for any kind of invasive procedure due to his failure to give proper and legally required informed consent. For narcotic pain relievers he is probably OK.

Great knowledge show details Great knowledge
Jul 26th, 2012

I went to Dr. McJunkin with several areas of concern and a very painful lower back. He did a wonderful job listening to my symptoms and even asked me follow up questions. After my first meeting with Dr. McJunkin I was so impressed that he spent so much time with me. I could tell he really cares and loves his profession. Not only did he correctly diagnose my pain, we talked about options and what was best for ME. Before meeting with Dr. McJunkin I thought I just had to live with the pain, now I am pain free.

If you are in pain and have been for awhile this is the place for you! show details If you are in pain and have been for awhile this is the place for you!
Jul 22nd, 2011

I have chronic pain in just about every place in my body. I have been to every kind of dr. you can think of to help me with the pain I was going through. One day on the computer I saw an add for the AZ Pain Specialists blinking on the side and I decided to call them. They got me in to see Dr. McJunkin in less than a week. He was so compassionate and gave me so much hope and was ready to do what needed to be done to give me relief from my long lived pain. Today (one year later) I still have minimal pain but I am 80% better and continuing my treatment with Dr. McJunkin. The staff there couldn't be nicer if they tried. I love Glen!

Deborah Fritts show details Deborah Fritts
May 31st, 2011

Prior to my appt with Dr.McJunkin, I didn't understand exactly what pain mgmt consisted of. Now that I understand I want to say to all those who are seeking, Dr. McJunkin is extremely compassionate with miracle hands God has given him. I have had extremely negative follow-up appts with the nurse and physician assistants since I've been a patient of 18 months or so. I even left there because of them and then returning, finding I'll never receive the care and compassion as I do from Dr.McJunkin. He has restored my faith in Dr.s He has given me the ability to return to an active life-style with very little or no pain at all. P.S. Thank You Doc

Dr. McJunkin is tops. show details Dr. McJunkin is tops.
by Lois B. on Dec 9th, 2010

What a wonderful clinic. This is the best organized professional clinic I have ever been to. Dr McJunkin has a great bedside manner, and listens carefully to your needs. He doesn"t waste time, he is a man of action. Front desk staff, the doctors and nurses are outstanding.

Positive Approach,,Very Reassuring show details Positive Approach,,Very Reassuring
by Norma Schwartz on Nov 15th, 2010

Initial contact was with Robin, Dr. McJunkin's PA. Very competent, kind as she confirmed information I had provided; explained each and every movement she asked me to make, i.e. pushing/withdrawing legs against pressure, etc. Dr. McJunkin reviewed information also, asked me to show my "gait" problem, etc. Felt very assured that the procedures he proposed, i.e. injections in conjunction w/physical therapy, should bring relief. Office staff very competent in scheduling, also.

This Is a wonderful place show details This Is a wonderful place
Oct 13th, 2010

I really like like this place

Very unhappy experience..... show details Very unhappy experience.....
by 2badsosad on Sep 7th, 2010

First off I would like to say that I really liked Dr. McJunkin. I only saw him one time in my few months of being a patient there but he was very nice. Now that I have said that, his staff is absolutely HORRIBLE!!!!! I had a procedure done there and I was in extreme agony the following seven days afterwards. I must have called them 20 times and everytime I called I was put on hold, transferred to eight different people and had to keep explaining my issue, they refused to squeeze me in even though I thought something was very wrong (ended up in the emergency room because of this), after leaving several messages I NEVER got a call back, all I got was them agreeing with me that I was in pain, and complete disreguard for me as a human being. I was basically told to "suck it up" and "life sucks". All this after paying them a ton of cash to have the procedure done. It's a real downer when you like the Doctor but the staff makes your experience so terrible that you just can't go back to them out of principal. After waiting an hour and a half to even get into the room to see someone at each appointment, I was shuffled in and out in less than twenty minutes. The waiting room has ALOT of chairs and all seats were taken.RUN for your life and find a different clinic.....SERIOUSLY!!!!

NO HEADACHE show details NO HEADACHE
Aug 27th, 2010

I am a migraine sufferer for the last several years - since having the procedure done I have not had a headache in 4 days. Believe me this is amazing!!!

Worth the Minor Troubles of a Larger Practice show details Worth the Minor Troubles of a Larger Practice
Aug 25th, 2010

Doc is great and worth the minor troubles of dealing with a practice that has grown exponentially. Up to date with multiple options and or procedures. Able to diagnosis overlapping problems and not only this or that like so many. Must understand that when making appointment knowing whether you see doc or pa which maximizes docs time will help with any large office issues you may encounter.

Jun 4th, 2010

PERFORMED A PROCEDURE THAT I REQUESTED NOT TO BE DONE. HAD NO TIME FOR MY QUESTIONS, DID NOT EXPLAIN ONE THING TO ME AFTER MY PROCEDURE.

Apr 16th, 2010

They are very professional and nice. I am very glad I went to them.

Great Results show details Great Results
by Janie Meger on Apr 12th, 2010

My pain went from 10 to 2 in just 2 visits. Dr. McJunkin is a miracle worker!! The staff is incredibly friendly and I would recommend this facility to anyone who is suffering from lower back pain.

initial review show details initial review
by Kenneth Woodward on Mar 13th, 2010

This is the first time that I have ever rated a Dr or the staff and facility where I have received care. I have never been moved to do so in the past and believe me I have visited dozens in my life with an extremely bad back and joints.I was referred to Dr McJunkin by my family physician primarily due to increasing low back pain and this in spite of the use of the most powerful narcotics on the market. I did not want to take narcotics in any form and had made this known for a long time and finally I have been seen by someone who it seems is as interested in treating my pain as I am in getting away from pills.My first visit with the staff at the pain center was nothing short of brilliant and the most impressive and explanatory event for me in over thirty years of dealing with my back problems. In fact, the first twenty minutes with the "physicians assistant were the most informative minutes I have ever spent and I learned more about my condition and what would be necessary to treat my condition than I have ever spent, period. It was all said in layman's terms that I could clearly understand and I can't tell you how much this has already meant to me. If that wasn't enough, then Dr. McJunkin came in to explain what they will do for me and how they intend to go about doing so. To say that i am impressed would certainly be an understatement at the least and I am looking forward to the procedures they have outlined for me to treat the problems and not to continue throwing pills at the symptoms. Kudos to Dr McJunkin and the staff at the pain clinic and I cannot thank you enough for the peace of m ind your explanations have already brought to me and to my family.Thanks to you all.

Amazing Doctor!!! show details Amazing Doctor!!!
by Pat on Jan 13th, 2010

Dr. Tory McJunkin is warm, caring and kind. He is a wonderful listener and took the time to answer my questions. His suggestion of a spinal cord stimulator has given me my life back. It is working perfectly and helping me so much! Dr. McJunkin was referred to me by my neurosurgeon and finding him was my first miracle. He is a physician with a "God-given" gift for healing. I highly recommend him for anyone suffering with pain.

I highly recommend this Doctor! show details I highly recommend this Doctor!
by Ron B. on Nov 21st, 2009

I can't say enough nice things about Dr. McJunkin. I have been suffering with severe back and neck pain for the last five years and until I saw Dr. McJunkin, I had only been told that there is nothing anyone could do to help me. I was filled with hope when Dr. McJunkin said, he could help me and he would keep trying different procedures until he found something that worked. I have had 5 different procedures and every one has significantly improved my pain. I feel like a new person and I have been able to come off the high doses of pain meds that I have been on for years. My head is clear and the constant pain I have lived with is diminishing. I can't thank Dr. McJunkin and his wonderful staff enough!

An Answer to our prayers show details An Answer to our prayers
Jun 10th, 2009

I have gone with my husband every month to his apt with Dr. McJunkin for the past year now. He is a very caring Dr. and never stopped trying to figure out how to get my husband out of pain. Many things along the way didn't work but we finally find something that did because he never stopped trying or caring. His office staff could be better in returning phone calls yes I agree. But when we addressed Dr. McJunkin about it he was professional and agreed they had a problem and that he is trying to fix it. They never told him we called. However, on the issue of narcotics it is not true. Dr. McJunkin actually increased his meds when his pain was not controlled. I highly recommend Dr. McJunkin if you are in uncontrolled chronic pain!

15 years of pain solved in 1 office show details 15 years of pain solved in 1 office
by Brad Child on May 27th, 2009

I can only speak from personal experience, but if you are looking for a pill doctor look somewhere else. Dr McJunkin and his staff took the time needed to find the answers to my 15 year bout with a very chronic pain disorder called RSD. I can pay only my highest regards to this doctor, his dedication, and talents. Thank you for all that you do!

May 26th, 2009

Seems opposed to using narcotics no matter level of pain experienced. Has attitude that patient will become "strung-out" junkie. Staff did not call back after leaving request for Dr. or someone to call b/c still in lot of pain after 1st visit, non-narcotic prescription was not working. Had to make contact myself day later, was told, need to come back in for evaluation even though evaluation was done 2 days earlier (same symptoms, problem). Just wanted to charge insurance again for office visit. Wasn't seeking narcotics, only pain relief, would have been nice to finally not hurt. If narcotics would have helped, why not prescribe? Not on narcs, haven't been, maybe could have helped with pain until nerve block procedure....won't know, won't be back, just another physician that hasn't helped me, and very disturbing that no call-back for nearly 2 days for request for help. May want to seek pain relief elsewhere, methods, beliefs, ideas , service may not actually produce any actual pain relief.

Doctor's Response

As a pain physician my desire is to help those who suffer with chronic and severe pain. I specialize and am an expert in the latest chronic pain treatments. Opioids (narcotics) are very high risk medications. We do prescribe opioid medications to appropriate candidates, but have rigorous standards that we hold ourselves and our patients to. Our goal when prescribing medications is to maximize benefit and minimize risks. We do not change medications over the phone because an evaluation and documentation are necessary for proper medical care and these can not be done over the phone. I have dedicated my life to helping people with difficult to treat pain conditions and am passionate about practicing pain management "the right way" with safe comprehensive minimally-invasive approaches. Thank you, Tory McJunkin, MD

Very Professional Doctor show details Very Professional Doctor
by Shannon on Aug 12th, 2008

Great doctor. He really helped me.