Dr. Trevia Hayden MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.6
  • 10 reviews

October 7th, 2016
Horrible doctor!
I saw Dr. Hayden for 5 years. Please, please accept my advice and do not see her under any condition. I ended up in the hospital with a life threatening condition called serotonin syndrome because of her negligence. She over prescribed antidepressants and antipsychotics for me to the point that my body just broke down. She also had me addicted to benzodiazepines. Her poor quality of care has led to me being unable to hold down a job for 5 years and cost me a lot of money as I had to be hospitalized. If you do some research, you will see she has been sanctioned by the State of MD Board of Physicians. I agree with others who have posted her as well, she makes you wait at least an hour for a 2-3 minute visit with her where she doles out prescription after prescription. I naively thought she cared about me but now that I'm seeing a new Psychiatrist, I can tell she did not at all.

July 13th, 2016
This doctor is very dangerous
Be prepared to wait for two hours for your 'appointment' furthermore, to add to your aggravation, the doctor spends less than five minutes with you in her office. I called for one whole week leaving messages that medicine was not working and I was in a state of psychosis to no avail. This doctor is very dangerous.

April 6th, 2016
BEST PSYCHIATRIST I HAVE EVER SEEN. SHE CARES ABOUT YOU AS A PATIENT AND TAKES TIME TO LISTEN. SHE IS VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT ALL CURRENT MENTAL ILLNESS AND MEDICATIONS.

June 18th, 2015
What a disaster!
I don't even know where to begin with this so called doctor. I have a list a mile long. I, like several other patients who posted here, saw Dr. Hayden after in-patient care for suicidal ideation. At first i thought she was funny and kind- she assured me she would help, and during the first few appointments, i thought i had finally found a psych that actually cared. Wow. I could not have been more WRONG. The wait time in her office is horrendous- anywhere from 1 hour to 2 hours. I ended up walking out so many times that i lost track. Her inability to even show up at her office on time caused me numerous problems at work, classes, and other appointments. Then the time she spent with me got shorter & shorter. By the time i left the practice, it was LESS THAN 5 MINUTES! No matter what i said or didn't say- she just handed over my scripts & said see you in a month. I even told her i was feeling suicidal again- she said it would pass- just take my meds. I, too, ended up in inpatient care AGAIN during this time. Brook Lane could never reach her- told me every day they left messages for her. I already felt abandoned enough, she just made things worse for me. This went on for about a year of appointments because i was so frustrated and frightened to start all over again with another psychiatrist. I finally got the courage to leave after the most horrible appointment of my life. I had just miscarried and lost my dog all in one month. I was in so much pain & feeling suicidal once again. Dr. Hayden made a suggestion that i "write letters" to my baby and my dog to help me cope. When i told her that even thinking about that was extremely difficult for me, & i didn't feel like i was there yet, Dr. Hayden actually said to me "You aren't grieving properly. You know, you just make me want to SHAKE THE SH*T OUT OF YOU sometimes"! Absolutely stunned, i walked out of her office & never went back.

May 10th, 2015
looking for someone else
I started seeing Dr. Hayden after a truly terrible experience at Carroll Hospital Center over a year ago. The first thing she said to me, "you won't be thinking about suicide while we are working together". In the beginning she was great. The wait times were long but I was ok with that. She seemed to listen and took my input on meds, what was working, what wasn't. She prescribed supplements (vit d and fish oil). She gave me advice on how to regulate my sleep cycles when I started working nights. Then things got bad. I had some life events that were very difficult. I spent 6 months going into the office telling her I was depressed and anxious and she would tell me, "there's no medication I can give you for a broken heart". I got more and more depressed, angry, and in unbearable emotional pain. Each time I would hear the same line. I became convinced that no one could help me so I attempted suicide. I had been in the hospital for suicidal ideation before but never had an attempt. The social workers at the hospital attempted to get in touch with her but she never called back until the day I was to be discharged. Meanwhile my lovely therapist had been in contact with them almost daily. I think once she gets an idea about you in her head she never deviates from it. She could he a great doctor if not for that. She really does know her stuff, but I will be looking elsewhere.

July 20th, 2014
Been a patient for five years and it's been terrible
I started seeing Dr. Hayden when I was a senior in high school. I told my dad that she was awful, but he didn't listen. Five years later, he's begging me to go to a different psychiatrist because it's become apparent how terrible she is, but I now work full time in DC and don't have the time to find a better psychiatrist. Let me say this- people's opinions on this doctor are polarized. The ones who like her, love her. The ones who don't like her have a list of reasons why. This is because she treats people in two different ways. She puts 100% effort in for some, and 0% for the rest. As a teenager and young adult, I was in the second category. My meetings with her have always lasted about five minutes or less, and I almost always have to wait 45 minutes or more to see her. I've had to walk out more times than I can count, because I was going to be late to class, work, or another appointment. You have to schedule your appointments about a month in advance, and she cancels up to 30% of the time. During that 5 minute appointment, she asks me how I'm doing, and it doesn't matter if I tell her that I am feeling suicidal, that I feel like I'm going into a state of psychosis, that I tried to commit suicide that day, or that I'm becoming addicted to my medication (all of which I have), she doesn't bat an eyelash. She will literally say 'I'm sorry to hear that. Alright, here's your prescriptions, see you in two weeks!' I am STUNNED. I thought that was illegal. As someone who was hospitalized for suicide attempts during my time as a patient of hers, I thought sure she would at least offer to help. I also have legitimately said "I'd like to start taking this, for this reason" and she has said "okay, what dosage would you like?". I have gone back to her several times and asked for an increased dosage, until I was taking the strongest dosage offered. This has happened with three controlled substances. I wound up in the hospital from one, and am currently dependent on the two others. It now says on my medical records that I'm diagnosed with the disorders which are treated by the medication I'm on, but she never gave me a formal diagnosis or even told me I had those disorders. I'm currently in the process of finally getting another doctor, so I can get a diagnosis from someone who knows nothing about this doctor or what she's diagnosed and prescribed me. Every day is a struggle because I'm trying to balance between the two very strong, very dangerous and addictive medications she prescribed me several years ago. I've told her about this and she has completely ignored it. Last year, she started me on a new, experimental medication, and assured me it was non addictive, non habit forming, and wouldn't be hard to come off. That was a lie. I've missed a day of my medication three times since last year and all three times I've had to be taken to urgent care or the hospital for the withdrawal symptoms. This happened at my most recent appointment, and I, sobbing, told her I'd been endangering myself and others, was having suicidal thoughts, and severe physical symptoms. She said 'life stinks when you don't take that medicine, right?' and then made a sad face at me, wrote me the WRONG prescriptions, and sent me on my way. It took a week for me to get her to correct the prescriptions, and so for a week I was without both medications I'm dependent on. I have never felt more like a drug addict than I did that week. Since then, I've started trying to find another doctor because I'm scared that she's not looking out for my best interests and knows she can make money off of me by prescribing me addictive medications. Like I said, I've been a patient of hers for a long time. If I can't get off these medications on my own, I'll have to go to rehab. This has been going on for years and it's finally to that point. It affects every area of my life, but she has no sympathy, hasn't offered to change what I'm on or reduce the dose, hasn't given me any advice, etc. I've had to look up solutions on my own and when I ask her about them, either she doesn't know the answers, or she gives me the wrong ones. I've brought in articles, studies, diagrams, etc. to ask her questions about and she never seems to know what's going on. She's never ONCE asked me about parts of my life such as nutrition, sleep patterns, excercise, substance use, daily activities, etc. It has ONLY been about prescriptions. She's never once suggested supplements or natural solutions to me. Unfortunately, when I started seeing her, I was too young to know what was best for myself, and I had no idea that doctors didn't have the answers. I wish I hadn't asked her for those medications, and I wish she hadn't just given them to me without question. She knows I'm addicted to both of my medications and she has never offered to help, lower the dose, or change my medications. She doesn't even respond when I talk about it. She's making tons of money off double booking people, putting them on as many medications as possible, and not giving them real solutions that would lead them to a place other than her office. Her decisions have only deteriorated my mental health over the past five years.

July 19th, 2012
I had an appt for 12:15. I arrived at the office at 12:00. Several patients came in after me. When Dr. Hayden started calling patients back to her office, she called the patients that came in after I did. Finally at l:30, the doctor called another patient back that had come in after me. I was so frustrated by this time, I got up and walked out. If this had been the first time this had happened to me, I might not have been so upset; however, this was the second time this had happened to me. You go to this kind of a doctor because you are feeling bad about yourself. Being overlooked time after time, just makes you feel worse. I will not go back to her again and I will not recommend her to any one I know that needs this kind of help!

June 17th, 2011
Very Impressed by her Knowledge
She is very knowledgable. I've only been once - so can't give a comprehensive opinion of accuracy of diagnosis or follow up yet. But she has a great personality and is willing to give as much time as needed in the appmnt for any questions you might have. I started a med but it's not working out - have to go back for follow up.

January 15th, 2009
I love dr. hayden! I think she's the best. She's been great with me. Sometimes you have to wait for a long time in the waiting room, but you have to allow for emergency visits. You would want her to fit you in if you're having a crisis. I feel really comfortable with her. I feel we have a great relationship.

October 21st, 2008
Overwhelmed and Misdiagnosed
I came for medication administration and this doctor was horrible. After one appointement she labled me bipolar and prescribed medications that really affected my over the next month or two. She did not follow the prescribed titration for the medication and this made the side effects unbearable. She didn't listen to my concerns and argued with me giving me an ultimatum of what to do regarding the medications that was absurd. I did not return after this and found help elsewhere.