Dr. Valerie Augustus MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

May 23rd, 2016
Never recommend!
After several months of coming in, they never listen to what I say. I have been diagnosed with depression, and I was trying to get help to get on the right medication for me. She put me on a medicine, and when it didn't work she just upped it till I was on the maximum dosage. My Suicidal thoughts got worse and her response was well at least your sleeping so stay on it. Then she said I should be able to think myself out of those situations. If I wanted to be told it was all made up in my head I wouldn't be trying to get help. THEN they changed buildings and never called me to tell me they moved, so I showed up to my appointment only to find out they weren't there. I tried to call and get their new address and I got put on hold, the lady was extremely rude, and then says she has been calling me and my voice mail wasn't set up so I should really set it up. My voice mail is set up, the number she was calling was not my number it was the emergency contacts number. They have called me several times on my actual number and I have answered every time. So i tell her that I won't be coming back, and she asked me why, then argued with my reasons. I have all my paperwork showing that I had a schedule time and place, they change it with out me knowing then charge me for not showing to the new place that I didn't know about. I would NEVER recommend them to anyone who actually wants help.

July 4th, 2014
Very Thorough Visit
This was my first time seeing Dr. Augustus, and I found her to be very professional and knowledgeable. She was very courteous and caring. My OB/Gyn had prescribed an antidepressant for me three years ago. It's never worked well, but I kept taking it. When I came to see Dr. Augustus, she explained how and why the antidepressant was the wrong one for me. It made perfectly good sense when she explained this. She seems very genuine, sincere, and cares about her patients. I was very impressed with Dr. Augustus, and will most definitely recommend her in the future! She is an answer to my prayer!

February 17th, 2014
Ex-patient
In my opinion this woman who calls herself a doctor is only out for money. She cares absolutely NOTHING about the well-being of the patient. I went to see her some years ago, sincerely needing help and she diagnosed me immediately with severe psychosis without any tests! Since then, I have a wonderful life and I have NEVER been on any medication or ever diagnosed with any mental illness! If you ask me, this crock of a doctor should diagnose herself with sociopathy.

August 19th, 2013
I like Dr Augustus very much. She communicates well, listens well, and is practical. I expect a lot from my doctors, and would have no problem recommending Dr. Augustus.

January 21st, 2013
Dr Valarie Augustus
Please KNOW that she will NOT help you AT ALL if you are trying to get SSD. Her office will NOT send medical records nor will she fill out functional capacity forms or a simple letter stating your conditions for your attorney even with enough time treating you to determine your condition. However, she WILL apply a $50 late fee if you phone at 330p the day BEFORE your appointment. CHRISTIAN????? please drop tha act... its a joke. I also did not appreciate being TALKED AT rather than TALKED TO

August 15th, 2012
I have been seeing Dr. Augustus for several years. She has always been great, very kind and understanding, never harsh or mean like another doctor I had. She spends time with me if I need it. She is a Christian but does not preach or bash you in the head with it. I feel comfortable discussing any problems with her. There is rarely more than a five minute wait to see her. Definitely the best psychiatrist I've ever had.

June 26th, 2012
Pleasant visit
My first impression of Dr. Augustus, firm, disciplined and well spoken. She seemed to be understanding and offered some quality solutions, along with meds, to help me cope with my anxiety issue. She did not quote any scriptures and didnt offer up any either, which was ok with me. She was professional and kept to the agenda at hand. The receptionist was very nice and cordial which made my visit somewhat more relaxing. Cant say if my problem was accurately diagnosed. I am hoping with prayer that her experience dealing with my type of issue show as I get better. I do think she spent an adequate amount of time in listening to my needs in order to come up with a correct diagnosis and recovery plan. She is a psychiatrist and is only there to manage the medication. Anything further than that, Jesus and a counselor are your best options......

June 21st, 2012
I did not have a pleasant experience with this place. The doctor did not seem empathetic towards me at all. She actually laughed at me (not with me). They were too lazy to write a brief letter to my insurance company so that I could get my medication filled. They asked me to pay for it out of pocket instead. They tried to charge me a $50 cancellation fee even though I cancelled well before the 24 hours. She gave the excuse that she didn't have enough time to schedule another patient so this is why she tried to charge me. I will never go back to this place, and would not recommend it. The only reason I even gave it ONE star is because of the ease of making an appointment.

June 2nd, 2012
Dr. Augustus is exactly how she presents herself - a Christian. Those who rated her negatively, stating she did not mention God, need to use the God given "thing" inside their head, which is called a brain. She probably does not mention God up front, as MANY who choose her are selecting her through their insurance's provider list, and not because she's a Christian. Once the patient expresses interest in discussing God, let me assure you she is delighted to have that conversation. Also, it's important to education yourself on what is the normal amount of time a psychiatrist spends with a patient. For med renewals no one needs more than 15 minutes. If there's a problem, that should be stated at the time the appointment is set up, in order for her to allow the needed time. I have been seeing her for 5 years now, and she has been extremely professional, Christlike, helpful, personal, and instrumental in making sure my medication dosage is not only correct, but performs for my comfort. I would highly recommend her.

March 8th, 2012
Did not listen to what I said. She was determined to turn it into a negative no matter what I said. Claims to be a Christian, yet did not demonstrate compassion or trust. Not one mention of God, scripture or identification with what I was saying. It was stressful, frustrating and disappointing. I would never recommend this person.

June 23rd, 2010
Paula Parker's rating for Dr. Valerie Augustus
My youngest daughter and myself have been going to Dr. Valerie for years. Dr. Valerie is actually the best doctor I have ever been to which would include my regular doctor I go to if I get sick. She is very intelligent, caring, and always gives me the best advice and after I meet with her I always feel so much better. The best quality about Dr. Valerie is she is a Christian and has quoted so many Bible scriptures to me that relate to some problems I have had in my life. That is very important to myself and to my daughter. I was permanently laid off from my job at a local bank here in Memphis, TN back in Feb. 2009 and lost my medical insurance and could not afford to buy any since I am a single mom raising 2 daughters on my own and getting no child support. She has really been so understanding in our fee arrangement. As a matter of fact my daughter and me had our follow up visit with her today. I told her I finally found a job and will be starting in a week. She immediately quoted a Bible scripture about being patient and not to worry because God is in control and when he thinks the time is right he will provide no matter what the situation is concerning.

March 3rd, 2010
She rushed me out of the office because it was her lunch time. I am very disappointed in this doctor and will not see her again.