Dr. Van Ha MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

August 26th, 2016
The Best
Dr. Ha is professional, friendly kind and has a wonderful staff, I would recommend him to anyone

April 8th, 2015
Prescribes too much medication and not open to alternative methods
My family and I have going to Dr. Ha for years, but no longer use him after he treated me extremely rude. For a year he tried to treat my son's acne with both oral antibiotics and topical creams with no success. It actually got extremely worse under his treatment. After only 2 months of treatment he was also pushing Accutane which I told him we would never use. After about a year he threw his hands up and said if this doens't work that you are going to have to use Accutane, so my husband and I looked to natural methods to cure it. Through research, we learned that if our son soaked in baths with salt from the Dead Sea that his acne would go away. We did this for 3 months and did continue the topical medicine. I took pictures each month of his transformation. When my son went back for a scheduled follow up, Dr. Ha looked at his face and back and was very pleased with the results. HIs acne had disappeared. He said, Finally, something is working. " That's when I explained to him what we had been doing and showed him the photos. He went back to look at my son and then came back over to me and told me how I was wasting money using the dead sea salts. There has been extensive research done that shows that when people go to the Dead Sea Spas that it is not the salt that improves the patient, but the UV rays. I then asked him to please explain to me how why this worked when my son never had his shirt off since he had been doing the treatment from Sept. November. He had no answer. He them dismissed me by saying , "Well, Dr. Mom, I guess you don't need to see me any more." I was taken aback by his rudeness. He did call later that night to apologize, but the damage was done. This isn't the first time that he has dismissed a condition. My eyebrows are thinning. Dr. Ha prescribed Latisse. After the prescribed months of using it, there was no improvement. He threw his hands up in the air and said there was nothing else to be done. HIs need to only use certain medications and actually push them instead of looking at other forms of treatment is scary.

March 2nd, 2015
Rude bedside manner
A small spot was found on my forehead the size of a pin head. Came back as suspicious and took me 3 weeks to get an appointment for a follow up. I arrived to find out that I had been scheduled for some kind of surgery. I had been monitoring the spot closely and nothing had appeared. I told Dr. Ha I wanted to watch the spot closely (which I couldn't even see) before I went under the knife. He got very upset with me and told me to see a plastic surgeon if I didn't trust his work. I was taken back because I never questioned his surgery but felt as a patient I should have the right to say lets wait. Then he started throwing words like Melanoma around and got angry with me. Wouldn't help by answering questions instead was very resentful that I wouldn't agree to the surgery. This was 9 years ago and the spot has never reoccurred. The other reviewer said it perfectly - he is very condescending if you question or don't agree. I've never been back.

February 11th, 2015
Dr. Ha is dismissive and condescending when you question his approach to your medical care.

February 4th, 2015
Annual Checkup
Best dermatologist in the DC area for my money. Hard to get an appointment due to popularity.

September 4th, 2014
Don't bother
My husband tried to get an appointment for a suspicious lesion on his leg. Next available appointment -- 10 months. Sure -- we called someone else. Did not see him.

July 10th, 2012
The Champs
Dr Ha has always been right on with his diagnosis with EVERYTHING! My husband has skin cancer removed periodically due to his profession and having fair skin. Dr Ha always knows what it is before it is sent off. I have had a close diagnosis of melenoma but he got it before that state. There have been many other things that we have seen him for and as with everything, he always knows what to do. We have been going to Dr Ha for years now and he seems more like family than a doctor. Wonderful personality! NEVER a wait. If anything... we have always got in and out even before our scheduled appt. Can't say enough good things about Dr Ha except that he is number #1.

May 8th, 2012
Customer Service is a Lost Art for this Practice
I was so angered by the lack of customer service at the front desk that I cancelled my appointment and chose a competitor in Ashburn. Some doctors seem to forget that patients are customers first and a revenue stream to be "Managed" only if they are willing to put up with poor customer interactions. Thank goodness we live in an area that provides choices in providers.

September 30th, 2011
-- Dr. Ha is a very good and caring doctor. That said, it is very difficult to communicate with his office. It is nearly impossible to reach a person when calling, and though voicemail promises to return all calls the same day, I have yet to have a call returned in fewer than three days. I have tried to contact them via e-mail, too, but never been successful.In addition, the doctor seems to prefer only prescribing on-patent drugs, even when generics are available. Many of the drugs we have been prescribed are very expensive.

May 21st, 2011
Dr. Ha is an extremely caring doctor. I have been to other dermatologists in Loudoun County and there is just no comparison. I had a skin condition that none of the other doctors could diagnose and he did minutes after speaking with me and looking at my skin. I was floored when the condition cleared.I recently lost my health insurance with the bad economy. Not only did Dr. Ha find a skin cancer on me, he also performed the surgery for me free of charge. I offered to pay a reduced fee but he wouldn't take it. How's that for a great doctor.

March 30th, 2011
Easy Money
Getting an appointment with this guy is harder than getting an appointment with Obama!! I was referred to Dr Ha four years ago by my retiring doctor for routine annual checkups. I've had melanoma twice since 1991. Initially I waited almost a year for my first "routine" checkup. Two times in the last four years I've had a suspicious mole that I wanted checked out but couldn't get an appointment with Dr Ha faster that four months and both times decided it was urgent enough to go someplace else. Unacceptable!! I recently had a rash that needed attention. His office person said I needed to visit my primary doctor before trying to get an appointment with him. He has handled my annual routine checkup but I've had to schedule a year in advance each time. Yet my wife can schedule her five minute $400+ botox shot within a week or two of her phone call. Makes me think all he cares about is easy medicine and making easy money.

February 15th, 2011
This office is TERRIBLE. After waiting 8 months for an appt., the day before my scheduled appt, I had the flu so I called to reschedule. They wanted me to wait another 3 months. I said I will just come in sick rather than waiting another 3 months. So they found a date to "squeeze me in," a week and a half away and when I show up that day, they tell me I must have made a mistake, that the appt. is the following month. I tell her "no, the mistake is not on my part for sure because I'm not even in town the last week of the month or the following month. I even called the day before my new appt. to see if they wanted me to come in any earlier, since they had to "squeeze me in" to get this afternoon appt. My husband had taken off to watch my 3 small children so I can go to this appt., so I figured if they needed me to come in the morning now I could. "No," the lady on the phone told me, "just come in at 3:45, when they squeezed you in". I continue talking to the lady at the office and she tells me "Well, we have you down for this date but next mont." After they tell me what amounts to "oh well, see you next month, we are too overbooked" I ask if they have an office manager and they tell me they do not. Finally, one of the girls at the front desk says they will go "talk to someone in the back." Thank goodness. As I am waiting, I look down at their sign in sheet where I can see that yes they are "overbooked" - there is someone signed in every ten minutes to see the same doctor. Really, how does he do it? Anyway after more waiting, a girl from the back comes up front and tells me that the doctor will see me if I sit and wait until the end of the day until he has seen all his other "scheduled appts." What? I AM a "scheduled appt.," and even though I arrived early, it is now well past my appointed time and they want me to wait another 2 hours at least until he can get to me. Ridiculous! I guess they just figure he is the only one with a life and a schedule. Is the doctor any good? I wouldn't even know. I left at that point. I would not recommend this office to anyone. I have never written a bad review for anything in my life but I was appalled at the lack of professionalism in this office and the lack of courtesy of one particular staff member. I can't believe I wasted 8 and a half months waiting for this. Good thing I'm not dying!