Psychiatrists

Park Slope
137 Garfield Pl
Brooklyn, NY 11215
718-768-6630
Locations and availability (4)

2.0

|  he just feeds you pills and doesn't remember any issue your there for.but he makes sure you'll have to come back.poor bedside manners! Iloilo deg!!  |  show details
by simply ann on Jun 19th, 2014

Nothing!

|  zocdoc  |  show details
by also anon on May 26th, 2014

zocdoc is fraudulant. They only post positive reviews. Try and find a single negative review of anyone on zocdoc. Zocdoc is a tool of "reputation management" firms attempting to bury truthful information about providers like Dr. Dorfman, including these pertinent facts; Vernon Dorfman was found guilty of negligence and incompetence by the New York State Department of Health in 2013, formally reprimanded, placed on probation for three years and is currently being sued for malpractice. Just try and find these "verifiable" facts on zocdoc.

|  zocdoc  |  show details
by annon on May 18th, 2014

please look at approvals for Dr. Dorfman of verified patients through Zocdoc

|  Will NEVER go back to him unless I am under the influence of his drugs  |  show details
by Miss Iconoclast on Mar 2nd, 2014

Dorfman is the WORST, Total egomaniac, and a religious fanatic to boot, who doesn't even believe in the equality of all people/mocks other belief systems- is only about the superiority of HIS OWN people, as long as they are "frum" like he poses at being. Cares only for the almighty "gelt". Fast-food style treatment, knows he has a monopoly of patients since he takes insurances- but uses that fact to his own benefit, nothing altruistic about it. Dispenses drugs like the Beatles' song, "Dr Robert". But nothing "'60's" about him, even though he is from Berkeley in the hippie era, he is anti-New Age values, simply a con artist and a huckster and a rip-off artist. Runs after the money in his 4 locations, then flies home to Miami with his money on weekends!!! Uses his bizness as a "cash cow" to support his Florida heymisha lifestyle, whatever that "show" is. Must to avoid.

|  This person is on probation in New York State  |  show details
Dec 27th, 2013

Google "Vernon Dorfman Censure Reprimand"

|  To the 11/12/13 Poster With Post Entitled "Caused Drug Overdose" and to Anyone Else Who Has Had a Bad Experience with Dr. Dorfman  |  show details
by David Zevin, Esq. on Nov 24th, 2013

I'm a lawyer and I have a client with a case against Dr. Dorfman. I'd like to talk to anyone who might have anything to share regarding treatment that Dr. Dorfman provided, especially in regard to overprescribing drugs. Feel free to call me at 516-849-5335. Thanks.

|  Caused Drug Overdose  |  show details
Nov 12th, 2013

Dr. Dorfman caused me to have a drug over dose and almost die. He prescribed me 6 controlled substances to take at once which in turn caused me to drop my blood pressure and pass out. I had to be resuscitated my EMS. He was on my insurance plan and that is why I decided to go see him. He will just hand you medications and not tell you how/when to take them. He is very dangerous stay away from him.

|  Better you should spend the $ on a good expensive dinner  |  show details
Feb 22nd, 2013

In those days he was a "primal" therapist. Mostly it was about HIM. The therapy AND he was a huge mistake. Very into himself. ugh.

|  Funny and Painless  |  show details
by CML on Feb 18th, 2013

Well, he certainly does hand out the meds, but that is his job. He actually advocated, to me at least, a ton of other behavioral therapies and homeopathic remedies such as vitamins. He truly dislikes drugs and hates the drug culture. In all honesty, I go to him because I am already diagnosed, have seen a psychologist to discuss my issues, and find that meds work. I don't need someone to "talk to." But when we do talk, he is hilarious. I dig his bedside manner because of that. He is always accommodating; even helping me refill my scrip during Hurricane Sandy while he was "stuck" in Fla.

|  good guy  |  show details
Dec 26th, 2011

Although he may have a lot of patients, I found him very easy to talk to and have not had any issues with waiting. He is genuinely into listening to me, and has been extremely helpful when I see him. Very compassionate and very nice, as for his tendency to prescribe medications, that is his job. For those unsatisfied with his treatments I suggest seeing a psychologist not a psychiatrist.

|  A busy but caring Dr.  |  show details
Nov 5th, 2011

Dr. Dorfman is definitely a busy man, but there are not many psychiatrists in this city that take insurance. And while he plays more psychopharmacologist role for me, he truly cares and empathizes with me and often challenges my preconceived notions on psychiatry. As a recovering addict, Dr. Dorfman respects my sobriety, but is willing to catch me when my hesitance over helpful medication is completely fear based. He also worked with me around some insurance issues I was having in an efficient and productive way. I just feel like I have a partner in dealing with my psychiatric issues as opposed to Doctor who relegates my feelings. I'll admit, It took me two sessions to realize that he wasn't challenging the legitimacy of my feelings, but instead was asking provoking questions to try to find the best medicine for me. I've grown to really like the guy, despite his busy schedule.

|  Terrible  |  show details
Aug 3rd, 2011

Only good for getting prescriptions. This guy is a terrible psychiatrist. He packs in the appointments and gives little time. Truly a joke.

|  Somewhat good, somewhat bad  |  show details
Jul 28th, 2011

In reading the other comments I have to agree that DR. Dorfman crams a lot of people into his schedule. But the thing that bothers me the most is his tendency to chat. and chat....and chat....I have to re-focus him back to me! Isn't that his job? I am currently seeking a replacement.

|  Worst experience at a caregiver  |  show details
Feb 16th, 2011

One of the worst experiences I ever had at a caregiver.Was stuffing a ridiculous amount of patients into his schedule. Has no staff. takes only cash. Talked about himself throughout the session. Judged and preached me his religious views. Gave me drugs for ADHD without making any tests, and at the very first visit. I went to him only few times. Predictably, no follow up calls were even attempted. He manages his little office as a fast food restaurant.To my opinion, of course, he cares only about money, regardless of the damage he may cause on the way. I think he's a disgrace to the profession. Will suggest to avoid at all costs.

|  Awful  |  show details
Jan 4th, 2011

His "wife" tried to charge me $140 for an appointment even though my insurance covered 100%. When I called my insurance and had them confirm with them on the line, she told them they wouldn't be seeing me and they had torn my file up. I guess they didn't think I would actually call to check my coverage and would just hand them money. Run while you can.

|  He sucks  |  show details
Dec 13th, 2010

"whiney" isn't a word, but "loser" is, loser. If you like pills you'll love Vernon Dorfman.

Nov 17th, 2010

Loads in too many patients into his schedule; keeps you waiting for 45 minutes. Tries to sell you on his religious views

|  Awesome  |  show details
Oct 5th, 2010

These other reviewers are whiney losers. I've been seeing him for 2 years, and never had a problem. He rocks.

|  Avoid  |  show details
by ex-patient on Feb 16th, 2010

No diagnosis, no questions, no empathy. Just drugs.

Oct 20th, 2009

Claims to be an addictions specialist yet gave a recovering drug addict VALIUM for sleep. Quick to hand out a prescription with zero to virtually no follow up.

Sep 11th, 2009

Doesnt help you address the problem but rather gives you a pill. In it for the money!

|  Misdiagnosis  |  show details
Jul 31st, 2009

This doctor only cares about billing insurance and wriiting prescriptions. No regard for a patient. Treats everyone with the same meds.