Dr. Vina Patel Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Vina Patel?

7 Ratings with 1 Comment

March 6th, 2012

Missed diagnoses

My son turned 2 and started going to day care, almost immediately he started having health issues. It wasnt a surprise with all the germs of other children. He was constantly having a cough and a runny nose. I finally gave up on the nurses idea of Benadryl it wasnt doing anything and took him in. My sons doctor is actually Dr. Holloway, but they share a practice and its who ever is available. So after 5 visits to her and about a dozen ear infections, his speech was also not developing right. I started questioning her about him possibly having hearing issues. Hes my first child; I dont know where I should start with this issue. I asked her if his constant ear infections could be the cause of his speech issue, Oh no, I have lots of children who have had many more infections then him. She goes on to tell me to start with his schools speech program, which he was already involved in. This goes on for about 6 months, and about 6 more ear infections. Ive had it I go back in and thankfully I end up seeing a different doctor in the practice. She looks at him, looks at me, Do you have allergies? Yes, yes I do, well so does he, lets get him into see the allergy doctor. Another 2 months goes by and low and behold, he has allergies. Singular and a nasal spray later, and hes no longer coughing all the time and his nose isnt running all day. Mean while still not improving on his speech, end up seeing her again because of his 3 year check up. Ask her again if all the fluid from the ear infections could be causing his speech issue, again Oh, no, start with the school. So we do he works with the speech teacher, still no improvement. 4 year check up comes up, I call they want me to see Patel, I refuse, they make me wait 2 months, because that was as soon as they could get me into see Dr. Holloway. Appointment comes, I again express my concerns, I told him I refused to see Petal, and that his receptionist made me wait over 2 months to see him. He looks in his ears and confirms what I thought all along. He thinks he sees fluid behind his ears. We get into see the ENT and the look on his face when he checked my sons ears was awful. Dr. Patel had a year and about a dozen appointments to catch this, the first time I seen the other female doctor in the office she knew right way it was more then a cough. Because of Dr. Patel my son is behind on his speech and could have possibly had permanent damage. The lesson I learn was push for more answers, I thought she knew what she was doing, and she does after all have over 20 years of experience. I like the other doctors in this practice, but Patel, she doesnt look for all the signs that were right there in front of her face.

May 17th, 2016