Dr. Wade Barker MD Patient Reviews

February 20th, 2017
Didn't clean wound before closing me up after bowel obstruction surgery, also placed an ostomy bag right under my breast, i had to have a 2nd surgery from a dr. Who takes dr. Barkers BOTCHED surgeries. I was in ICU for 6 weeks, had to have wouND reopened and vacuumed closed, using my leg for a skin graft. Also in bariatrick surgery clipped my intestine and my bowels were leaking into my body. Had to have emergency surgery. Dr has an aloof, rude personality once procedure completed, as if it's the patients fault for his almost life ending errors.

October 13th, 2016
Gastric bypass 2007
Absolutely wonderful outcome without ever so much as one single problem! Followed my instructions and dropped 115 pds. Now, over 9 years later I have a normal life and have kept off over 100 pds all this time.....never dropped below 100# loss. Dr Barker is a God among surgeons as far as I am concerned!

August 9th, 2016
Botched
Dr. Wade hastily repaired the screw up of his partner, Dr. Hodges. My husband had multiple organ failure and nearly died.

March 26th, 2016
Very good results
I haven't been to Dr. Barker's office in many years; I had my gastric bypass in 2008. I still take all my supplements and have my lab drawn by my endocrinologist. But I do want to say that my results were excellent. I was provided good pain control, and the only problems that I had were the normal GI discomforts that are to be expected. The preop preparations were great; there were two people whose sole job was to get the insurance companies satisfied (and it's different for every comany!) and to make sure you are ready for the surgery. Yes, the office waits were long, but they did have the most comfortable large chairs and couches I've ever seen in a doctor's office. I also didn't see Dr Barker very much after the surgery, but he had an internist who did a great job with post-op care, and if I needed to see Dr. Barker, I was able to. The experience with the office staff was sometimes rushed, but most of the staff was helpful and courteous. These minor problems were the reason I only gave a 4. I was completely satisfied with my surgery at that time.

February 12th, 2016
Two Surgeries-why?
I had Gastric bypass surgery in 2011 and only lost 60 lbs. I felt like I couldn't even lose weight with surgery. Everyone I knew had lost at least 100 lbs with Gastric Bypass. After surgery, I still weighed 250 lbs. and wore a size 20. For two years I felt like a failure. Finally, I made another appointment to get a revision in 2013. I was told I needed and would have a DS which is a more aggressive surgery. Dr. Barker was going to do the surgery, because he did the first. At the last minute I found out that my insurance wouldn't pay for Barker to do my surgery, so Dr. Hodges did it. I was SO sick after this surgery. I thought it was because they made this surgery more aggressive for me to lose weight. When I went back for my follow-up, I found out that I didn't have a DS that Dr. Hodges only made the limb 150 which is what it should have been the first time. I ordered a copy of my medical records. I found out that Dr. Barker had only made my limb 90 when most surgeries are usually 150. I know sometimes, people who do not need to lose a lot of weight can get results from a shorter limb. However, I weighed 315 lbs. before my first surgery... I was obese enough to need the 150 limb. Why did he do that and why wasn't I told? Was it because my insurance company paid 100% and he knew he could get them to pay a for a second surgery? Basically I had two surgeries from them and neither time got what I was told I would get. I am glad Dr. Hodges just did the 150 limb because now I have lost 145 lbs. and anything than more would have been too much! I am having trouble keeping up with my protein and I have had some nutritional issues. I received a letter in mail today that Hodges and Brewer are breaking away from Barker and opening the "New You" clinic. I was okay with Dr. Hodges but only meet her for 5 minutes and haven't seen her since. My advice is to always get your surgery report and read it. Also, find an office that you feel like a human and not just the next cow in line.

February 10th, 2016
Not a good doctor. Left her to die
My wife had a revision from Gastric Bipass to a DS. She had issues with the surgery from the beginning. We spent 150 days in the hospital months after surgery. She had a stricture and Dr. Barker never helped her recover from that. Dr. Barker even pulled the tube without us even knowing. Once she hadn't been able to eat for months, we finally found help from another doctor. Dr. Kennedy immediately saw her and admitted her to the hospital. We had just visited Dr. Barker office the day before seeing Dr. Kennedy and Dr. Barker refused to do anything. We were even scheduled for a procedure with Dr. Barker that was canceled for some reason. My wife died 2 weeks ago. She was in perfect health before having surgery. She lived her last year's of life dealing with pain and complications. Our 4 boys will grow up without their mother.

December 27th, 2015
Awesome Family Atmoshpere!
I lost 149 pounds in 9 months after having gastric bypass performed by Dr.Brian Brewster of the Barker Bariatric Center in Dallas, TX. The staff and doctors are awesome. They actually care about their patients and are there to answer any of my questions even after surgery. If I have any concerns or not feeling right, then they are there for me. They make you feel like one of the family. I would highly recommend them if your considering weight loss surgery.

November 2nd, 2015
Great Life Changer
I had my bypass with Dr. Baker in 2007. First, he has great bedside manner and my bypass was very successful. I can't speak enough about the staff; they were always so courteous and helpful to me.

February 1st, 2015
After taking money he won't have anything to do with you.
Doctor's Response

Hi there, Our sincere apologies. Maybe this explanation will help any miscommunication? Depending on insurance requirements, we have many pre-surgery protocols to ensure the best outcome for our patients. We also follow-up with surgery patients for one-year after their operation; beyond pre and post-surgery follow-up care, we have monthly support groups, evening events and newsletters to connect patients together. Our office culture is to continually improve the journey to weight-loss well beyond Barker Bariatric Center. We would be happy to discuss your specific concern in private, please feel free to give our office a call anytime - 888-663-3722. Thank you for your feedback, Barker Bariatric Team

June 20th, 2013
Gastric Sleeve
Dr. Barker is the BEST bariatric surgeon around. I am nearly 3 years out and have maintained my weight loss. I followed the rules and have had absolutely no complications and FABULOUS results. Dr. Thompson is awesome and he does your follow ups. He is extremely caring and knowledgeable. I AM VERY HAPPY THAT I CHOSE DR. BARKER TO DO MY SURGERY. Yes you sometimes have to wait because they give each patient their individual attention needed. You will get that same care when you are called in. I was extremely impressed with Dr. Barker on my very first visit.
Doctor's Response

Thank you Rhonda. It's always nice to get a sincere thank you. Not as common as you might think. WB

April 5th, 2013
Brother lost too early !
39 yr old man,healthy, died just 3 weeks after his surgery. Complications resulting from DR. Barkers so called surgery. Be Aware of this place. My sister now is alone and 4 kids to raise. Hopefully justice will get served....

August 24th, 2012
My Regrets
I had my surgery in 2010 ( Gatric Bypass )and have had issues after issues! If I had to do it all over again I would stay fat atleast I would have my gallbladder and no ulcers