Psychiatrists

5565 Martin Luther King Jr St N
Suite 2
Saint Petersburg, FL 33703
Locations and availability (2)

2.0

Some ratings provided by CitySearch. DrScore. Yahoo.
Jun 10th, 2014

Bad doctor. Basically a legalized drug dealer who drops people after he gets them hooked. He needs to go.

|  Beware! If you need a good psychiatrist, look elsewhere  |  show details
by Patient on Aug 27th, 2013

Just awful. If you want to get better, consider finding a better doctor than this man. Uncaring, no bedside manner, an office that lets all calls go to voicemail. I didn't take the time to read his reviews before going to his office. Check the internet and see what others have said.

|  DISMISSED  |  show details
Aug 13th, 2013

I HAD VERTIGO AND WAS NOT ABLE TO GET TO MY APPOINTMENT. I CALLED AND INFORMED THE OFFICE OF MY SITUATION AND REQUESTED AN OVER THE PHONE APPOINTMENT AND WAS TOLD HE DOESN'T DO THAT. SO WHEN I CALLED TO RESCHEDULE, I WAS TOLD DR GRIFFITH NO LONGER WOULD SEE ME AND DISMISSED ME WITH ONLY 30 DAYS OF MEDS. WE ALL KNOW IT TAKES LONGER THEN THAT TO GET A NEW DOCTOR. I WAS DISMISSED WITH NO REGARDS TO MY HEALTH CARE.

|  Wow!! Take a step back  |  show details
by Karen R on Jul 6th, 2013

It's hard to believe you are talking about the BEST psychiatrist I have ever seen for myself or my son in over 30 years. Over the years and experience with an ex, I have learned the rules of the road. My (ex) husband was dropped from several doctors for missing appointments. This is standard procedure. If the doctor can't see you, he can't write your prescriptions and face it, most of the ones we need you are not suppose to stop taking abruptly. If you aren't serious about your health, than let Dr Griffith help someone else. If you’re a longtime patient and suddenly have an issue, then you need to talk to Dr Griffith about it. For those of you that don't think that the Dr takes enough time with you, maybe you should be in therapy. That is where you meet with someone for an hour and talk. Dr. Griffith is doing 15 minute med checks and for someone that see me 4 times a year for 15 minutes over the last 9 years you would be amazed at how much information has passed between the two of us. He has amazing recall, or takes great recordings or something. If I forget to mention something that has been going on from a previous visit he asks me about it. I have been under a unbelievable amount of stress in the last 9 years, but with the help of Dr Griffith I keep moving on. As far as the medication I take, Dr Griffith and I started with the medications that I was previously taking up north and we tweaked and reduced dosage, medications and tried other medications slowly over the first few years. With feedback from me and discussion between the two of us we decide what to do next. My medication keeps me functioning and I'm not a crazy woman about 3 out of 4 weeks a month now. I'm basically a hermit, but that is fine with me. I like reading, the internet, sports and the companionship of my dog. I can't hold down a job, it's an effort to make my doctor appointments, but I do give them a high priority. I may not be able to work, but I'm proud to say that I've never been Baker Acted, Suicidal or hospitalized for mental problems. I too had an experience with needing medication, leaving a message and not getting a call back. I was very upset and told the doctor about it. He apologized, told me if I ever had a problem again to call him. On the other side of the coin, another time the pharmacy said they didn't have my prescription, Dr Griffith was having surgery done on his leg, but his office assistant got a hold of him right after he got out of recovery and got my prescription for me. She went above and beyond and it was one of those rare times I really had a crisis. The phones are the pits!! The last time I left a message it took them 3 days to return my call. It was to schedule an appointment, and when they did return my call, I got a cancellation appointment and was able to see him that same week. So that time I can't complain worked out great. :-) Wait time - I've been early and he has seen me immediately, I've barely had time to fill out the forms and he is ready for me and the time before last I had to wait for over 45 minutes. On the average I would say about 10 minutes. I usually leave my home, go to my appointment and I'm back to the house in less than an hour. I have to say that worked for me. As far as his diet business, I don't know anything about it, other than sometimes the answering machine I get mentions it. If Dr Griffith is so in to that, I wished he signed me up, I've had a weight problem for most of my life. Just a couple more things, Dr Griffith is a highly intelligent man and very interesting to talk to on a variety of subjects. He has all ways treated me well, spoke respectful and answered my questions. I have seen his wife in the office a time or two and he did even take the time to introduce us. I find him to be very polite. BTW if someone wants medical care then they need to call and make the appointment. So many times in mental health a spouse will call for the other and that person maybe serious but not the other. I also appreciate Dr. Griffith's patient confidentiality. My (ex) husband went behind my back a few years ago and called the doctor’s office to tell him BS about me. Dr Griffith is my doctor, he let me know that he called, but he refused to talk to my (ex) husband. I appreciated him drawing the line in the sand. I treat people the way I want to be treated. If someone is having a bad day, I show some sympathy and if someone has something especially nice on, I mention it. Brighten someone's day; it only takes a smile and a minute.

|  He has NO loyalty to his patients-though if you like cold and callus, he's the doc for you!  |  show details
May 2nd, 2013

I have been seeing him off and on for over ten, yes, ten years. My sister was his patient. He does no longer carries my insurance, but I wanted to stay with him, so I paid $80 per visit just for my 15 minutes and that oh so vital prescription. In december i missed an apt. I had a migraine, i hadnt received my reminder call, i apologized profusely. No charge for the missed appointment, simply rescheduled. On Monday I had to go to the ER. After I was released I called their office multiple times only to get a busy tone. I received a call 10 mins in to my apt time and I explained my situation. The woman I spoke with said no problem she could reschedule me to the following day. I called on Tuesday at my first free moment ( I cannot have my phone on me at work) and told them that I was very sorry, but I still wasn't feeling well, I wasn't sure about finances and could we reschedule to next week? Sure, fine no, no problem. Other than that I have been a good patient, rescheduling early, arriving early ( even though I always wait 30 mins or more). Today, Thursday, I received a voicemail asking for my pharmacy's phone number and informing that due to the above three incidences I was being dropped as patient. If you're looking for cold and callus, you've found the right doctor. Oh and if you have a fear of abandonment, then he's right up your alley!

Apr 18th, 2013

Terrible that a health care provider that I have been trying to get in touch with, for over a month, for my son in crisis, does not return even a phone call. Lovely message when you call but absolutely. no response. Nice way for a mental health provider to work right?

Sep 11th, 2012

This is the best psychiatrist I have ever visited, & I have seen several over a lifetime. He is caring, attentive, and knowledgable. Try him, you'll like him.

|  If you want to be Baker Acted, he's your man  |  show details
Jan 4th, 2012

He is condescending during appointments. Between appointments, he compulsively walks back and forth behind the receptionists' desks with a Bluetooth in his ear. He seems very impressed with himself. If you want to be Baker Acted on the basis of hearsay on his part, he's your man. He won't even bother calling you to ask what is happening before he summons the police to come get you and handcuff you behind your back. Then there you are in the paddywagon taken to God knows where. The "doctor" certainly doesn't care. Then when you get out in three days due to lack of serious illness on your part, if you dare go back to him and somehow annoy him by asking for more appointments than he deems necessary, you are dropped. Avoid this "doctor" like the plague.

|  Let's be realistic  |  show details
Sep 15th, 2011

Psychiatry in the age of managed care is a difficult proposition for patient and doctor alike. Dr. Griffith is knowledgable, professional and, I think, concerned about his patients. I've been to several psychiatrists over the years for anxiety and depression and my favorite is Dr. Griffith. He has one thing none of those other doctors had: a sense of humor. He doesn't spend a lot of time with you in a typical session, but I'm not sure any doctor does anymore. I come prepared to my sessions, so I've never needed more time, but I think if I did he would find a way. Griffith isn't a talk therapist, in my experience, but who wants one of those? I don't. He does offer a variety of suggestions beyond psych meds. I think he is a good doctor in a tough field of medicine.

|  Have to agree... he`s terrible.  |  show details
by indigosue at Citysearch on Jul 11th, 2011 on citysearch.com

This guy is pretty bad. It`s all true, you can never get a human and he just seems interested in giving you only 1 month of drugs at a time so you need to keep coming back. When I finally got several months worth and they ran out... his office declined to refill on a holiday weekend. When I did get in touch with him I heard \"oh, we ignore faxes from pharmacies\" and DID call in a refill. But the next business day, his office called me and told me to find another doctor. I guess if you call him ONCE on his personal time to call in a refill to keep you from dying, you are too much trouble to be a patient Seriously SKIP THIS DOC!!

|  Have to agree... he`s terrible.  |  show details
by indigosue at Citysearch on Jul 11th, 2011 on citysearch.com

This guy is pretty bad. It`s all true, you can never get a human and he just seems interested in giving you only 1 month of drugs at a time so you need to keep coming back. When I finally got several months worth and they ran out... his office declined to refill on a holiday weekend. When I did get in touch with him I heard \"\"oh, we ignore faxes from pharmacies\"\" and DID call in a refill. But the next business day, his office called me and told me to find another doctor. I guess if you call him ONCE on his personal time to call in a refill to keep you from dying, you are too much trouble to be a patient Seriously SKIP THIS DOC!!

|  Wonderful Doctor  |  show details
Jun 23rd, 2011

I have been to many health providers for my Dr Griffith has been the only Dr. to adress the issue properly.

|  So Sad... Too much $$ can make you lazy... Find someone else  |  show details
by DunnellonMomma at Citysearch on Oct 15th, 2010 on citysearch.com

was a patient of Dr. G for over 6 years. SIX LONG YEARS. Dr. G helped me through thick and thin. When he moved to his new office, things changed... It seems he became too big or busy for his patients. One time I called with an emergency and got the recording and then called his cell phone. The recording states to call his cell phone in the event of an emergency... What does he consider an emergency compared to a patient in immediate distress!!!! I mean, what is the line I was having major side effects to a drug that caused me to fall asleep at the wheel and get into a car accident. He hung up on me stating before he hung up, CALL THE OFFICE. When I call the office, I get voice mails and NOT real people. This has been going on since his new office. Sometimes I get a call service office. There is so much non-personal contact in the office. Do not get me wrong, He is a good Dr. but it just makes me sad that things changed. During the 6 years, I rescheduled 5 appointments. When I took the new medication that was really horrible, I was forgetting things, depressive, sleeping, and completely not myself, but I was afraid to just go off of it. I trusted Dr. Griffith and would have done anything he said. I missed an appointment by accident and I did not remember talking to anyone about an appointment. I did not get a phone call reminder or phone call to check on me. Instead, I was told the Dr was terminating care with me because I missed so many appointments. So Many I could count on 2 fingers the appointments I missed. Not only that, my he did not take my insurance so I was lieterally paying out of pocket 77.00 to see him for the 15-20 min. I was LOYAL to him. A long history. I TRUSTED him. Yet, I was thrown away like a piece of garbage. I am in shock. I was am really disappointed. I hope he reads this. He will know who this is and I want others to know what happened. This is my story in every detail. -LS

|  Bumbling idiots in a beautiful office $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  |  show details
by rwmj123 at Citysearch on Aug 25th, 2010 on citysearch.com

This man is the most egotistical doctor I have ever seen. He is well-educated, as all of the other reviews say, but anyone who has had the pleasure of sitting in his office waiting for his royal majesty to allow you the privilege of his presence, usually after at least 30 to 60 minutes of waiting, is sorely disappointed in his minute or two of time that he allows you with him. He is arrogant and condescending usually with a flippant attitude. He is more interested in his weight-loss business, I believe, because I am sure it makes him more money. I don`t believe any of these positive reviews come from real people but only from him or his allies or family that would put something in writing to his benefit. I guess with all the medicines he puts you on, though, that some people might be so high on the benzodiazepines, mood stabilizers, antidepressants, et cetera, that one of them might have inadvertently written something in his favor. Steer clear of this doctor. Beautiful office decorated by his wife, but it`s not worth it. He had me on several different medications for six years only for me to find out from another psychiatrist that he had misdiagnosed me. His replacement literally banged his head against the wall when he found out the meds that this so-called doctor had put me on because they were so entirely off-base with what I really needed. I am so happy that I am no longer having dealings with dear, dr. g. And his staff over the years has been one joke after another, bumbling idiots.

|  Terrible doctor!!  |  show details
May 4th, 2010

"Doctor" Griffith hardly took the time to address any of my concerns before he ran off to see another patient. I was charged such an exorbitant amount of money to see a crock of a psychiatrist as well. Your money would be much better spent going to another provider. This one doesn't appear to know much, and I'd rather not pay for his spoiled daughter's partying at SMU. No thank you.

|  walter griffith - un caring crook  |  show details
by wyskiel at Citysearch on Apr 6th, 2010 on citysearch.com

I cnnot agree with Oct 15 comment mre - Dr Griffith too than 1 minute. The 2nd time, after the office visit that i already paid 35.00 for, he told me he receivd 6 pages from Aetna and would have to charge me 80.00 to fill them out as they were extremely \"\"detailed and long\"\" - I ltr found out from an Aetna supervisor tht the fax he was sent wre two frms sme as before w the exception of a cover letter. This past Monday, my husband finally came in with me this is after 4 yrs of seeing him not getting any better, with him just adding on mre and mre medications He attacked my husband wnting to knw why he was thre and my husband infrmed that he ws thre to tell him exactly how bad i ws as apparently he was not getting it. DunnelonMomma go on the internet and keep googling under medical malpractice or medical complaints - you will find a healthcare practitioner complaint form- this form goes to the Florida Deparment of Health , Consumer Services Unit, 4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin C-75, Tallahassee, Fl 32399-3275 - when my husband was there he tried to push me off saying I needed a forensic phyc to get \"\"me back in the world to cope\"\" - as I expected, on the 21st, after filling out paperwork, told me to get another phyc because he ws not there to fill out paperwork but to \"\"help\"\" people. He then told his sec that he could not bill this as an office visit as he filled out paperwork - well, he could not fill it out unless I was in his office answering questions, to me that constitutes an office visit and my cr card said based on info of quest asked and answerd obvious I was in office and they will remove the 80.00 fee, wait for his responce and then I will send them supporting documents.

Read Full Review at citysearch.com
 |  referred to me as great doctor Sin to lie  |  show details
by wyskiel on Apr 6th, 2010 on citysearch.com

This dr was recommended to me about 2 yrs ago from my primary dr who had only seen him speak - I have PSTD, Depression, Bipolar, Anxiety, Stress and Migraines - due to Bipolar ended up in about 70,000 debt - my theraist believes i should be on disability, my husband believes i should be on disability, my friends think i should be on disability - i have not had one job withing last 6 years that i have not immediatley gone on fmla after one yr based on stress - primary dr signs off as Griffith will not - I am on Relpax for migraines, buspar for anxiety, wellbutin sr for depression, lamictal for bipolar, and 4mg a xanax for panic attacts and I also have PTSDand keep in mind i am driving with this - several accidents yet this man claims he will not support me in any type of ssi or disability claim - my primary dr told me a substitute should have been given to me for all these medications as after being on them for over 10 years, it is like eating chocolate - even if i am not having a panic attack, i have to take at least one xanax a day to keep my hands from shaking - primary dr told me it would take him a little over two yrs to safely withdraw me - I am actively seeking someone who accepts my insurance and listens to what i am saying - after telling me he would not support me in any disability, then told his secretary he wanted to see me in one mnth versus 3 - why He does not listen to me and apparantly cannot see or hear that i am on the brink of a nervous breakdown - I cannot switch desks at work without having a panic attack and he thinks this is normal I have only ever worked in call centers which is one of the most stressful jobs there is, am 53 with no money or energy to try to learn something else - recently swiched jobs and could not even get thru training.........if you truely want help and need someone to listen to you and cares enuf to help you get on with your life, be it on disabiility or not, do NOT go to this man - ironically, if you look up the top categories that are approved for disability, they are migraines, post traumatic stress disorder, bipolar, depression and axniety - I have all of them yet he claims i am not a candidate for disability - there must be ssomething in this for him - like maybe if you are on disability, you won`t be seeing him as much and he will lose out on some money.......

by Ed Thompson on Oct 5th, 2009 on citysearch.com

Nice Beard...That is all...If you need real medical help go to someone else...

|  Dr. Griffith Genius \"\"NOT\"\"  |  show details
by Ed Thompson at Citysearch on Oct 5th, 2009 on citysearch.com

Nice Beard...That is all...If you need real medical help go to someone else...

|  Caring? About money, maybe!  |  show details
by Wiser Patient on Jul 30th, 2009

I was with Dr. Griffith for 11 years. I have ADD and in April 2009, I missed an appointment. When I called in May to reschedule, I was told I had been terminated for noncompliance. Wow! I have not been afforded a chance to talk with him, which I requested, so I found another doctor. Caring....about money, maybe

Jul 1st, 2009

He is wonderful, he truly cares about his patients and spends a good amount of time with the client before he makes an accurate diagnosis. He was always asking me what was new and how things were going to show he really cared.

|  Hold onto your hats, Kids!  |  show details
by jnmama at Citysearch on Jun 4th, 2009 on citysearch.com

I guarantee that the people in the office are better than when I started with him 11 years for anxiety, depression and adult ADD. I`m 59, by the way Every time I went in, there was someone new at the desk. I thought he was great back then, too. My husband always thought he was a slick quack. A few months ago, I went to him about being put in a new job, that was the worst possible job for my anxiety and ADD. His answer to that was a new antidepressant...Pristiq, a cousin of Effexor. Since not taking Effexor caused strange neurological symptoms, I put off starting the Pistiq and missed my appt. one month after I was to start Pristiq. When I called this past Monday for another appt, I was told he had terminated. I am also trying to gather medical evidence that this new job is not the right working environment for my symptoms under the Am with Disab Act , but now I have no one. I have called other shrinks in St. Pete, but no one takes BCBS PPO ins. anymore. He did have to pay a fine to my BCBS ins. this year because his wife submitted a form concerning my treatment, to my ins. company too late. I`m sure that ticked him off....HONESTY, I do not think he realizes who I am. But even if he would take me back, I would tell him where to stick his obvious arrogance. All of us helped him buy that yellow Hummer and pay for his daughter to go to college at SMU. My best wishes to all of you, but watch you backs!

by jnmama on Jun 4th, 2009 on citysearch.com

I guarantee that the people in the office are better than when I started with him 11 years for anxiety, depression and adult ADD. (I'm 59, by the way) Every time I went in, there was someone new at the desk. I thought he was great back then, too. My hu

|  Great doctor!  |  show details
by stephn at Citysearch on Mar 5th, 2009 on citysearch.com

I saw Dr. Griffith for several years, up until just recently when he stopped accepting my insurance. He was always very helpful and personable, and I always felt comfortable talking with him. It`s obvious that he`s brilliant, but I never felt like he was talking down to me or being condescending. In fact, I always felt like I was being allowed to participate in my own treatment and that my input was valued. I would strongly recommend him as a psychiatrist.

by stephn on Mar 5th, 2009 on citysearch.com

I saw Dr. Griffith for several years, up until just recently when he stopped accepting my insurance. He was always very helpful and personable, and I always felt comfortable talking with him. It's obvious that he's brilliant, but I never felt like he was

Jun 26th, 2008 on yahoo.com

Dropped me as a patient for missing an appointment. Office staff never avalible to take calls. Would not make sure I had refills of my medication avalible after dropping me. Would not talk to me personally about why I was dropped.

Read Full Review at yahoo.com
 |  Best doctor ANYWHERE, without exception!  |  show details
by Bessey at Citysearch on Feb 22nd, 2008 on citysearch.com

Dr. Griffith is, without exception, the best Dr. I have ever been to - anywhere!! He is very professional, compassionate and caring. He either has a remarkable memory or reviews personal notes before calling and inquires about the entire family, by name, every time I talk with him. He himself calls to follow-up to our conversations. As with any doctor`s office, I may have to wait a few minutes for an appointment but I know that`s because he`s giving someone else all the time that heshe needs, just as he does for me at every visit. I have never been rushed at an appointment. Other reviews have expressed dissatisfaction with his office staff. Did you ever mention that to him I had a problem one time with an office member and Dr. Griffith called me that day for the details, apologized and said it would be taken care of immediately - and it was. Please don`t express any negatives about this truly wonderful Dr. If you have a problem, bring it to his attention and it will be corrected. Give him every consideration you expect of him and you will not be disappointed. There is none better!

by Bessey on Feb 22nd, 2008 on citysearch.com

Read Full Review at citysearch.com
 |  Wonderful Doctor -- Horrible Staff -- Horrible Answering Service  |  show details
by spjams at Citysearch on Nov 30th, 2007 on citysearch.com

by spjams on Nov 30th, 2007 on citysearch.com

I have seen Dr. Griffith for about 4 year, and he is fantastic. He is brilliant, truly cares about his patients, asks all the right questions and patiently addresses the myriad of questions with which I bombard him periodically. That being said, Dr. G

|  Professional yet to Clinical  |  show details
by citigirl1978 at Citysearch on Oct 26th, 2007 on citysearch.com

I saw Dr. Griffith for about 2 years, during that time I appreciated the professionalism of his office staff. However, they are incredibly hard to get a hold of and in my case did not return my phone calls until days after they were made. The office itself is very nice, has a professional atmosphere and is quite relaxing. Dr. Griffith is professional and well educated. However, in my case I got a feeling that I was being talked down to when I was in session. Also, I felt that when I expressed a concern about the treatment plan or the medications that I was on, the responses that I received made me feel as if I was being treated more as a clinical case than a client. Dont misunderstand me Dr. Griffith is a very well educated medical professional, it is just that in my case, I felt that I was more of a number or clinical case then an actual person with a problem. I eventually left Dr. Griffiths office when my insurance changed, while his style of treatment might be considered helpful by some, I would not return to his office again based on what I wrote above. If you are like me and like a psychiatrist who is a little more personal and does not treat you as a clinical case, then I would suggest shopping around some more.

by citigirl1978 on Oct 26th, 2007 on citysearch.com

? I saw Dr. Griffith for about 2 years, during that time I appreciated the professionalism of his office staff. However, they are incredibly hard to get a hold of and (in my case) did not return my phone calls until days after they were made. The of

by compstpete on Oct 11th, 2007 on citysearch.com

Called to see Dr Griffiths and was informed that his first availability is a month and a half away. When the person answering the phone found out I was calling to make an appointment for my Husband, she said he'd have to call back and make the appointmen

Read Full Review at citysearch.com
 |  Not easy to get in to see  |  show details
by compstpete at Citysearch on Oct 11th, 2007 on citysearch.com

Called to see Dr Griffiths and was informed that his first availability is a month and a half away. When the person answering the phone found out I was calling to make an appointment for my Husband, she said he`d have to call back and make the appointment himself. When I asked why - she said office policy. I said I`d find someone else, Thank you.

by chamil1825 on Aug 24th, 2006 on citysearch.com

The only Dr who has ever been able to help with certian issues. very thorough, kind and remembers many little things about you as a patient

|  Great Man  |  show details
by chamil1825 at Citysearch on Aug 24th, 2006 on citysearch.com

by limonello on Jun 7th, 2006 on citysearch.com

I have seen Walter Griffith, MD for over 6 years now, for medication and for therapy. He is the most knowledgeable, and the best diagnostician I have ever seen. He is warm, available, generous, and all in all, a great doctor! He has helped me tremendou

|  Excellent psychiatric and mental health care  |  show details
by limonello at Citysearch on Jun 7th, 2006 on citysearch.com

|  neglect  |  show details
by breannajo at Citysearch on Apr 1st, 2006 on citysearch.com

dr. neglected to return a call or schedule office visit with acute problem related to medication because in his own words I was did not get along with office staff, I was demanding when I did not agree with diagnosis, resistant because I was doing well and unable to get written prescriptions for ongoing medications

by breannajo on Apr 1st, 2006 on citysearch.com

by mindybz on Feb 23rd, 2006 on citysearch.com

I've seen Dr. Griffith for 9 years now. He has helped me in ways that NO OTHER PSYCHIATRIST has. He actually spends time with me, rather than other psychiatrists who walk in, review your meds, write scripts and are out the door in 5 minutes.

|  Dr Griffith is the BEST psychiatrist  |  show details
by mindybz at Citysearch on Feb 23rd, 2006 on citysearch.com

I`ve seen Dr. Griffith for 9 years now. He has helped me in ways that NO OTHER PSYCHIATRIST has. He actually spends time with me, rather than other psychiatrists who walk in, review your meds, write scripts and are out the door in 5 minutes.