Dr. Walter Grear Hurt, MD
Orthopaedic Surgeon
Video profile

Chef/Licensed Health Insurance agent. show details Chef/Licensed Health Insurance agent.
by Catherine Gray (Kate) on Mar 10th, 2015

I suffered knee, On -The- Job injury April, 2014. As a result, I had an acute ACL tear, medial and lateral sprains, and complex tears to menisci. As a participant/patient in Workers Compensation, my employer sent me to Concentra first. I was given an x-ray and told "nothing is broken" before my rehab started. It was extremely painful, and I felt I was doing more harm than good, and I had to ask for an MRI, and lost all faith in what would be their choice of surgeons. I searched for an orthopedic surgeon of my own choosing. I am so glad that research, as well as the suggestion of my PCP, led me to Dr. Hurt!! He was a Godsend. Dr. Hurt is a LISTENER, he carefully weighed the options..that fit me. On my first visit, he expressed some concern over the effectiveness of reconstructive surgery and the likelihood of full rehabilitation, since I was 63 years of age. He took everything into account and set the surgery date ASAP. I found the facility he used very accommodating, and prompt. I was diligent with my therapy program and am happy to report that I was released with no restrictions October, 2014. Other than kneeling for any length of time, skiing, and motions that plant and pivot, I can happily report the surgery was a success. I have only the highest regard for the staff at All-Star Orthopaedics, Jackie, Maria, Liz and Christi who coordinated appointments so efficiently that my longest wait was 10 minutes! And the total wait time for ALL my appointments was less than that of ONE at Concentra. Thank-You, Thank-You, Thank-You!!! Sincerely, Catherine Gray, Farmers Branch, TX. March 10, 2015

Mar 24th, 2014

Doctor does not listen to your medical concern. Once he had made up his mind the diagnosis, he does not take the time to listen to you. Went to another orthopedic practice and condition is now resolved.

Apr 8th, 2013

I am very happy with my experiences with Dr. Hurt. I suffered major trauma to my knee and Dr. Hurt did extensive reconstructive surgery. I am far from 100% and will likely need a replacement sooner than later. Dr. Hurt was very up front and straightforward with my prognosis from the very first visit....even though it was bad.... something that I truly appreciated. We made all decisions together -- he strongly cosidered my needs, but guided the decision process. Very caring doctor; took plenty of time to explain everything and to make me as comfortable as possible. Highly recommended! Staff does their job just fine, but can be a little "cold".

Good doctor but be careful of his billing show details Good doctor but be careful of his billing
Mar 28th, 2013

I liked this doctor but when I saw what he was charging my insurance company for his services I decided not to return. His first office visit was $1100.00. All I had done was an xray and he talked to me .My insurance company did not pay that much, but i thought charging that was way over the top.

Great Doctor and caring individual show details Great Doctor and caring individual
Sep 12th, 2011

I was referred to Dr. W. Grear Hurt from the emergency room after a painful kneecap dislocation. From the minute I met him he seemed so interested in what I had to say about my symptoms and previous problems with my knee. After x-rays and an MRI, he certainly wasn't eager to rush into surgery he actually made me take a month to consider the surgery with my family while doing PT to rehab the injury. After 5 weeks, I decided to go forward with my Proximal and Distal Extensor Mechanism Realignment of my left knee. (A mouthful I know) I was in the hospital for a week and he was there constantly with concern for my pain and recovery. He has a special bedside manner where you feel like you become friends with him and know that he genuinely cares for your well being. Post surgery he was very positive which gave me the drive to work hard to rehab. I'm not going to lie, this was major surgery and I am still healing 4 1/2 months later. that being said, I couldn't have made it through without his help. He did an awesome job with the actual surgery I am now walking normal with minimal pain and a STRAIGHT leg!!! No assistance needed and can do most low impact activities. His excitement regarding my progress was so funny! He would be high-fiving both my husband and I and practically jumping out of his chair from sheer excitement because I could bend my leg a certain way! I would definitely recommend him to anyone that is need of an orthopaedic surgeon, He is a really great man who loves his job.

Very knowledgable & professional! show details Very knowledgable & professional!
by Grimes on Jan 11th, 2011

I was having stabbing pain in my shoulder that kept getting worse. I called Dr. Hurt's office and was able to get an appointment right away (same day). I was very appreciative for that since it was the second practice I had called since the first one couldn't see me for a week. Dr. Hurt took one look at the x-ray and was able to tell me what was wrong and where to go from there. He listened to my questions & answered them thoroughly. He was very knowledgeable and seemed to genuinely care with his friendly and courteous demeanor. The wait time was also minimal and I appreciated that as well.

Jun 30th, 2010

I have been extremely athletic since childhood so it stands to reason I have some joint issues... Having said that I have seen several ortho's and Dr Hurt is the best!