inactive

2.8

• Good
  • Bad

November 23rd, 2013
good luck getting past the MA
I was referred to Dr. Chen by a hospitalist at Tuality because of an abnormal MRI. I have no issues with the doctor. After looking at my MRI, he suggested a lumbar puncture to find an explanation for the abnormalities, I went for the procedure on a Monday. I was told to follow up with my doctor if the headache afterward persisted for more than 48 hrs. I called his office at 8:30 and 1 on Wednesday hoping for relief from the worst headache I could imagine. I got his assistant's voice mail and left messages. When I tried again at about 2, she told me she was too busy to call me back, the doctor had been in the office and was gone for the day without being told I had called and I was just to lay down flat. I tried to tell her I was coughing when I tried to lay flat (discharge orders said to avoid coughing). Finally she mentioned something about a doctor on call. An hour later, I had not heard back so tried to call again only to get the voice mail again. I did an end run to anyone I thought might actually answer a phone. The MA said she had left a note for the doctor on call but she had not seen it yet at that time. The message I got from the "doctor on call" was there was nothing they could do for me. She did offer a script for oxycodone which I happened to have so I refused the new meds but took what I had at the suggested dose of 2 tablets every 4 hrs through the night and was sill not able to sleep from the pain. I tried to call back at 8:30 Thursday morning to let them know I was still in pain as the "doctor" on call suggested but that call was not returned and I ended up in the ER for the pain. I had met Dr. Chen when my MIL had a nerve study done. With both appointments, I had no issues with the doctor.

March 18th, 2013
Ms
My mom recently had a stroke while in the hospital for other reasons and Dr. Chen was called in as her doctor. My sisters and mother thoroughly enjoyed this man. We found a sense of humor and a very helpful, straightforward way of explaining her condition. I would definetly refer others to him in spite of some of the other unpleasant reviews.

March 17th, 2013
A doctor I trust.
He always smile and has a sense of humor. Very friendly but tell it like it is. I get straight answers. For there months I had this back pain and no one can give me a diagnosis. He did and I was pain free within a week. The staff in his clinic always make my visit enjoyable.

February 18th, 2012
Run for the hills, do NOT see this Dr.
He really was the WORST Doctor I've EVER met: cold, uncaring, dismissive, completely unable to diagnose my problem and instead laughed at me and said I was clouding the issue with all my symptoms...????? What an AH!Now I know why I could get in to see him easily, when every other neurologist in Greater Portland couldn't fit me in for weeks!!! Stay FAR, FAR away.

June 23rd, 2011
AVOID AT ALL COSTS
Dr Chen was cold, uncaring and had absolutely no bed side manner. Anytime a patient is referred to a specialist, it is a scary experience, this man was a complete A hole, rude, treated me with cold, stupidity and arrogance, he is a dr not God, and to make someone cry because he is so detatched from humanity is unsetteling for a dr who deals with special needs and the elderly. No wonder he was an easy dr to be seen by, the good drs had waiting lists. If this man would have treated my children the way he treated me, I would report him to the board.. I still might. If you love your family or yourself avoid this dr at all costs!

December 15th, 2010
A surprise find
I was recommended to see another doctor but I have to wait 3-4 weeks to see him. I decided to take a chance on Dr. Chen since he is available in 10 days. It turned out to be an excellent decision. He was down-to-earth friendly, answered questions in details and very knowledgeable. I feel very comfortable to stay with him and will not hesitate to refer my friends to him.

November 23rd, 2010
incorrect diagnosis, inability to communicate with patients.

April 27th, 2009
I found Dr. Chen to be cold and uncaring. Instead of discussing my disease he prefered to comment on my weight... numerous times.

October 15th, 2010