Radiologists
845 Century Medical Dr
Ste A
Titusville, FL 32796
321-269-7878
Locations and availability (3)

• Currently 3.3768115942029 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  medicare judgment  |  show details
May 20th, 2014

A Brevard County doctor who operated two cancer centers was ordered to pay the government nearly $90 million for Medicare fraud, court documents show. Dr. Wasfi Makar, a radiation oncologist who owned American Cancer Treatment Centers in Titsusville and Rockledge, was sued on the government's behalf under the False Claims Act by whistleblower Joseph McBride. McBride worked as a radiation therapy technologist at the Rockledge center. The final judgment was ordered May 14 by the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida in Tampa. Makar has 30 days to appeal. Chad Alvaro, Makar's Orlando attorney, said the doctor did not commit fraud and intends to present evidence to the court and move for a new trail within 28 days of the judgment date. "Failing that, he will appeal," Alvaro said. McBride filed the suit in 2012 alleging that Makar and the centers billed Medicare for procedures that were never performed or improperly performed from 2009 to 2012, court records show. He also said other radiation therapists were instructed to bill Medicare for procedures requiring an imaging instrument the cancer centers didn't have. "I was alarmed by what I saw happening at ACTC," McBride said in a statement released by his attorney, Barbara Perez of Aronovitz Law in Miami. "The health of patients was being endangered by the failure to properly administer required radiation services, and I simply couldn't stand by and allow it to continue. I am very pleased with the outcome my attorneys were able to achieve and that justice prevailed."

|  Prostate Cancer  |  show details
Jun 29th, 2012

I have been following up with Dr. Makar for 5 years now for my prostate cancer, he has been absolutely great since my radiation treatment. HIs staff also is very courteous and professional. He spends ample time during my visits making sure that I am well aware about my medical care. I choose Dr. Makar due to his 30 years of radiation expertise. Thank you!

|  show details
Jun 22nd, 2012

Be careful with this practice. This doctor is known to prescribe too many radiation treatments (or treat when it is not indicated) as he has a financial interest in the practice. Get a second opinion first.

|  Professional  |  show details
May 27th, 2012

I had a great experience with Dr. Makar and his staff. Easy to schedule my appointments and follow up visits were thorough. Great doctor!

|  Get a second opinion elsewhere before starting therapy with him  |  show details
May 16th, 2012

He often will prescribe as many treatments as possible to bill additional revenue. Be warned

|  Get your second opinion with Dr. Makar for your Cancer  |  show details
Dec 18th, 2011

I had my second Opinion with Dr. Makar and stayed with him.

|  Thank you Dr. Makar............I have regained my life back  |  show details
Nov 16th, 2011

I went to local cancer center and I was told that my lung cancer was advanced to be treated for cure without any proof of spread.Yes, I am a heavy smoker.No body tried to help me stop. After seeing Dr. Makar for second opinion....I stopped without any withdrawel as I have full support from his wonderful staff...They are truly the best.

|  Top notch in the field of Cancer.  |  show details
Oct 22nd, 2011

He is an awesome cancer doctor.

|  Dr. Makar is a God send  |  show details
Sep 5th, 2011

Dr. Makar is treatment me for my breast cancer and I don't have any insurance or money. He is truely a god send.

|  He is amazing Cancer Doctor  |  show details
Aug 21st, 2011

I love Dr. Makar. He saved my life from 3 different cancers. 1. Prostate 14 years ago, 2.lung cancer 7 years ago and recently 2 1/2 years ago. Now, I am living proof.

|  Breast cancer survivor  |  show details
Aug 9th, 2011

My cancer journey was a personal and profound experience for me. I felt that Dr. Makar was very caring during the treatment process and that his staff was professional and friendly. I still follow up with Dr. Makar to this day, 5 years after my battle with breast cancer. Surviving this disease takes strength and I felt that the staff at American Cancer Treatment Center provided me with added support. Thank you!

|  Misleading and vague in addressing patient's condition  |  show details
Jul 29th, 2011

He is very eager to prescribe radiation without reviewing alternatives or weighing the positive vs negative outcomes w/ his patients. His over-eagerness in using radiation probably stems from the fact that he owns the radiation treatment facility, so he's making a nice profit along the way. Unfortunately it feels like it's at the patient's expense in more ways than one. Does not have frank, up front approach to telling the patient the reality of the situation; answers questions about prognosis more like a politician. I would definitely recommend a second opinion if this is your doctor and would also recommend an actual oncologist who can present a broader range of options in treatment, and not just radiation, radiation and more radiation.

|  He is the expert of experts.  |  show details
Jul 25th, 2011

I had metastatic breast cancer to lung and I am free of cancer for almost 8 years. Thank you Dr. Makar and God bless you.

|  He is the Cancer Professor in my book  |  show details
Jul 20th, 2011

Look at his experience. Second to none. You will know once you meet with him.

|  Great Doc  |  show details
May 22nd, 2011

Very good person to deal with. He listens to my problems.

|  Warning: Stay away from this doctor  |  show details
May 18th, 2011

I went for the treatment of prostate cancer and now after his radiation treatment I am having too many complications. I think he treated a wrong site or gave me a wrong treatment.

|  show details