General Practitioners, Obstetrician & Gynecologist (OB/GYN)

310 N Wilmot, #305
Tucson, AZ 85711
(520) 745-6513
Locations and availability (1)

2.5

• Currently 2.8709677419355 of 4 stars
  • Currently 2.7586206896552 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Excellent gynecologist who cares about patients!  |  show details
by Ana Alonso on Apr 15th, 2013

Dr. Huempfner is a very dedicated gynecologist. She will go the extra mile to help resolve your problem or to fit you into her schedule if you need to be seen. Most doctors today do not take the extra time she takes with a patients who has a more time consuming problem. Sometimes, because she gives patients the time she should, her schedule can get backed up. But medical care should never be 15 minutes a pop or on an "assembly line" schedule. I am lucky to have such a fine doctor

|  Best doctor I've ever had!  |  show details
by Betsy W on Feb 4th, 2013

My husband is in the military and we move every couple years so it is always important to find a doctor you trust. I truly feel like it was my lucky day when I found Dr. Huempfner. She is skilled, kind and always takes her time to make sure she understands your concerns. I have seen her many times (10 ) In the last year and a half. She has helped me through pregnancy, miscarriage and the fear of breast cancer since my sister was diagnosed. It has been a trying time in many ways but her compassion and competency have helped me body and spirit. Please know if you choose Dr. Huempfner you will have her full attention to you when it is your turn. Her location is easy to find and there is plenty of parking. The staff is friendly and helpful.

|  Amazing  |  show details
Nov 29th, 2012

Wendy Huempfner is my doctor and I absolutely love her. First, I can always get in the same day when I am having an emergency. When she sees me in her office, she is never rushed. She is knowledgeable in her field. Always takes the time to provide me with proper explanations of any diagnosis or medication she is giving me. Her bedside manner is amazing as she really does know me. Its incredible in this day and age where patients are herded like cattle to have a doctor like her. I always feel safe and comfortable when I see her. I highly recommend her to anyone.

|  Caring Doctor with a Lot of Experience  |  show details
Nov 20th, 2012

Dr. Huempfner has been my doctor for well over ten years. It is true that when she was delivering babies the practice was sometimes a bit rushed. (She delivered my daughter, though, and I had the best pregnancy and delivery doctor experience of anyone I know.) Now, though, she spends as much time with you as you need, and is particularly in tune with the interaction between emotional health and physical health. She is usually running extremely late, but if you are willing to wait with good humor, you will get the same attention she gave those before you, and it will be worth it.

|  Compassionate and Supportive  |  show details
Nov 19th, 2012

Dr. Huempfner is always happy to see me. She treats me as an individual who is special. I am more than just a patient. She is a compassionate and supportive doctor who understands the fears and upsets women have with their bodies.I trust and have faith in her decisions concerning what needs to be done to keep me safe, healthy and alive.I have great respect for the experienced doctor she is.

|  Extremely Competent Doctor  |  show details
Nov 13th, 2012

Dr. Huempfner is extremely competent, very caring, and always on the lookout for problems and issues that might escape other doctors. I will be forever grateful for her recognition that my unborn child was in trouble (before I even knew it) and for the steps she took to ensure a safe delivery. In addition, she has been a very good gynecologist for me and my two daughters for many years.

|  Attentive and Personable  |  show details
Nov 6th, 2012

Dr. Huempfner was extremely attentive and personable towards me. She listened carefully about my health problem and my frustrations. After examining me she took time to explain the cause of my symptoms, recommended a course of action with follow up treatment. I found her to be friendly and engaging. She gave me a warm hug when we first met, then again on leaving. Very satisfied patient!

|  Serious, Yet Kind in My Experience  |  show details
Nov 1st, 2012

I have been a patient of hers for 15 years. I started seeing her when I was a very young woman. At that time, I was self-conscious and terrified of going to the gynecologist; she immediately put me at ease. Although she is quiet and serious by nature, she is genuine. If you are looking for a doctor to be superficial and bubbly, she is not for you. She will quietly sit with you and discuss your most intimate concerns if you ask her. This type of approach does cause her to run late. 10 years ago, I had a miscarriage. I will never forget how kind, understanding, and sensitive she and her staff were. At one point, Dr. Huempfner even held my hand and just let me cry. She didnt rush out, she didnt try to cheer me up, she was just there for me. Her quiet strength and support meant so much. Since then, I have been to other doctors for obstetrics (Dr. Huempfner doesnt do Obstetrics anymore), yet I have always returned to her practice after having my children. I have recommended her many times to my friends over the years. Her genuine, holistic, non-rushed approach is what keeps me coming back as a patient.

Aug 24th, 2012

I can't imagine all the things are true about here belittling her staff. She herself was an RN and worked in a nursing home in long term care for many years. You would think that she would have compassion.

|  Great doctor in spite of the long wait  |  show details
May 20th, 2012

After reading these reviews I was nervous and skeptical about seeing Dr. Huempfner; however, I was pleasantly surprised at her pleasant bedside manner and her attentiveness to my needs. She spent at least a half hour with me discussing my health, answering questions and getting to know me. Definitely the longest any GYN doctor has spent with me during an appointment. This is perhaps e reason that the waiting time is kind of long compared to other doctors. With that said, I dont mind waitign a little longer during the appointment knowing that the doctor is going to be thorough. The way I see it, we pay so much for health insurance we might as well get our money's worth. Overall great experience, will definitely see her again.

Mar 3rd, 2012

Good Surgeon. The way she conducts herself in her interactions with her staff leaves a lot to be desired. She belittles her staff during her interactions with them. Even with a scheduled appointment wait times are 1 hour. Lot's of turnover in staff during my year as a patient of hers. Have since, changed Dr.

|  very thourough! she spent a lot of time!  |  show details
Oct 20th, 2011

I felt like I was her only patient and she really listened to my concerns. Love her!

|  Overall experince  |  show details
Jun 22nd, 2011

I was in for an appt this week. She has never ever ran on time . Then she proceded to belittle her front offoce staff right in front of me.2 Very very unprofessional. And while she did this at the front office. She shows no respect for the patient ovr her staff and never has the same staff wonder why she treats her staff with total disrespect. And who would want to come back to a cold hearted bitch?

|  Exceptional Doctor  |  show details
Feb 16th, 2011

The care given to me by Dr Huempfner has been absolutely exceptional. Her skills are far superior to that of many other Doctors and has led to complete resolution of a medical problem that I have been suffering with for many years. Dr Huemphner and her staff are, without a doubt, the most impressive medical professionals that I have ever dealt with. The caring, ethical conduct, and professionalism are evident from appointment scheduling to follow up care.

|  if u value ur health.....  |  show details
Oct 12th, 2010

DO NOT SEE THIS DR... i came in and sat in the office naked for over an hour, then when she came into the room she was vry rushed and kept coming in and out taking phone calls, i didnt get any of my questions answered and after my physcial exam i bled for 4 days, which has NEVER happened with my prior ob/gyn. a few months later i came back (foolish me) because i thought i was pregnant, she advised i was and then proceeded top ask how i wanted to take care of it and that she could referr me to an abortion clinic, i was appalled!! i wanted this baby! she then proceeded to give me a very concerned and stern look and tell me that at my age it was probaly best to wait.. IM ALMOSR 23 YEARS OLD!! who is she to say when i can have a child. i left... when i asked for her to referr me to a different ob/gyn, she called me acting very concerned and asked if i was unhappy with her care, i said yes and i want all my records transfered immediately, im not 4 months pregnant, and has my new dr gotten any of my records? NO... ive gone into the office several times and called, the receptionist is very pleasant, however i get the same response, the dr must review the chart and sign off before anything is released... ive seen her max 3 times, there isnt that much, ive even had my own dr call and request them, nothing! she is neglegent, rude, abrupt, not only to her patients but to her office staff as well. at times u cane hear her yelling ay her RN/MA, when in my opinion they are the only reason people return. as for that she cannot keep office staff, everytime i walk in there is a different person answering phones or rooming me. very unprofessional.

by past and very brief patient on May 27th, 2010

I had gone in for a routine pap and when I went back for my follow-up I was brought into a room where the nurse came in and started talking about what to do with my diagnosis. The doctor hadn't even come in to tell me I had anything wrong with me!!! I was blown away and scared because the nurse acted as is I was supposed to know what she was talking about! I told her I didn't know and she double checked my file and excused herself saying she would be right back. She came in and continued to explain what it was I was diagnosed with and failed to give me any information, just handed me packets. When asking the doctor she acted as if my concerns were an inconvenience for her. Very unprofessional in my opinion.

Nov 4th, 2009

I had a routine exam with Dr. Huemphner that I had scheduled a month in advance. Before the nurse left the waiting room, she asked me to undress and the doctor would be in to see me in a couple of minutes. Thirty minutes later, the nurse peeked in and asked if I was okay and let me know that the doctor would be in shortly. Another thirty minutes later, when I was just deciding that it was time to get dressed again and leave, Dr. Huempfner rushed in with no explanation or apology for my having to wait in the room for a full hour. The appointment was very, very rushed, but to her credit, she did give me advice on one of the concerns that I brought up. To me, the long waiting time and and the rushed visit with no explanation were unacceptable, and I will likely not be returning to Dr. Huemphner's practice.

by Mom on Oct 16th, 2009

The first time I took my daughter upon speaking with the Dr. after the exam she stated "I don't have time for this". I thought I would give her another chance so I took my daughter back 4 mos. later. My daughter waited an hour in the exam room. Upon meeting with the Dr. after her exam the Dr. was condescending to me and my daughter. I could go on, but I will not. I also, feel her staff is not professional and perhaps it is the trickle down effect from the Dr. herself.I do feel she is a good Dr. but am hesitant about returning.

|  Felicia  |  show details
Oct 1st, 2009

Have been a patient of hers for a few years and have not had a bad experience yet. Recently called on a Friday for a non emergent issue and got an appointment set up for Monday afternoon. I have waited 1/2 hour on occasion for her to come into the room but it is because of her amazing bedside manners. If a patient has a concern or has additional questions regarding a diagnosis this doctor will take the time to answer questions and provide additional information if needed. Her staff is always good about poking their head into the room to let me know if she is still in with another patient. I appreciate her taking the extra time with me and her other patients to make sure we understand what is going on with our bodies, so waiting a few minutes for her to see me next is insignificant when compared to the time and attention she provides when she is with you. The first time she examined me and with any new non routine exams she has to perform she will explain step by step what she is doing, what she will do next, and what I may feel during the exam. She has never dismissed a concern of mine. She has gone as far as checking additional labs, changing a medication regimen, or having another doctor come in and examine me to make sure my concerns are acknowledged and investigated thoroughly. I feel respected as a patient when I am in her office and would definitely recommend this doctor to others.

|  Very abrasive doctor  |  show details
by Stephanie on Oct 9th, 2008

She delivered one of my children and failed to show up for the delivery of the next one, which suited my just fine, as I got a much better experience on the second one. A couple of months after the birth, I went to her, complaining of an itchy lump on my genitals. She treated me as if I was a little perverse to ask her to check it out and missed diagnosing what I discovered a year or two later was a wart (from the papiloma virus that I still believe I picked up from unsanitary hospital practices at the delivery). Aside from that, I found Huemphner to be one of the coldest doctors I've ever dealt with. Very little empathy for patient concerns. And to top it off, her waiting room is a disaster. It's not unusual to sit in her waiting room for hours without even being told why or how long you might be expected to wait. I've never been so glad to leave a doctor's practice in my life.

|  Curt, arrogant and wrong  |  show details
by Peg on Aug 24th, 2008

Dr. Huempfner was very curt and arrogant. I was willing to ignore these personal traits, thinking that she may still be a good doctor. I had three visits with her and she arrived an hour and a half late for all three of them. She was an alarmist, causing me great anxiety over a condition that turns out to be pretty normal. I strongly recommend against seeing her.

|  Unprofessional  |  show details
May 17th, 2008

This is an unprofessional place to go as far as a doctor's office is concerned. They only seem interested getting you into the office to take your money, but when you try to contact them about needing to be refunded becase you overpaid. Forget it!! The insurance explanation showed we were covered by half of the total charge of our two visits. That means we should have been refunded by the doctor's office after my call to the insurance company. So, with several calls to this office, the receptionist continues to say I'm just a messenger and explains they will call you to let you know about how the refund will be handled. Apparently, "they" means the doctor. Never encountered this situation before! A doctor calling you to let you know how you will be refunded, that will not happen in my lifetime. That is what a receptionist is for, but that is what we were told. Not only did we show proof that we overpaid it was faxed to them as well but still no call after several days of waiting, even though I was told by a third party billing associate they would call. Frustrating! It seems no one is taking the responsibility for this issue. So, we decide to make a visit in person. As we drove up to the front office, we saw the doctor outside talking with a patient. My wife approached the doctor to see if this situation could be resolved, since it was obvious they were not doing it over the phone. The doctor basically blew my wife off and explains she did not have time to answer my wife's question since she had another patient waiting inside. Understandable, so we decided to wait in the office until the doctor had time to visit with us about this issue. Did not happen! Sometime later, the receptionist decides to come let us know that a check will be cut to us in two weeks. The problem is we are moving out of state in two weeks and may never see this refund. We should have never had to go down there in the first place, but since we did they could have just as easily have refunded us on the spot. Very unprofessional and would not recommend her at all. My advice, stay away!

|  Wasted 4 days in pain  |  show details
Apr 24th, 2008

I called on a Monday to schedule an appointment as a new patient. I was experiencing pelvic pain and needed to be seen as soon as possible. The receptionist took down all my information and said they'd call me back to schedule. They didn't call, so I called on Tuesday. They said Dr. Huempfner needed to review her phone messages and I should receive a call by Wednesday morning. By Thursday morning they still hadn't called so I called and asked frankly if I needed to find another doctor. They assured me that the doctor had review her messages and I would be contacted to schedule an appointment that afternoon. They called me on Thursday only to say that Dr. Huempfner wasn't accepting new patients! I was so frustrated that I had spent nearly 5 days waiting for them to call me only to find that they wouldn't see me. Meanwhile I could have been looking for another doctor. I am outraged at the office's apparent lack of communication and unprofessionalism. I would not reccomend her.