Dr. Willaim Schmidt MD Patient Reviews

• 1 comment

Showing 1 - 1 review

August 12th, 2010
Concerned Daughter of Patient
My dad has pancreatic cancer and we were referred to Dr Schmidt because of his expertise and knowledge in this field, which I do not doubt is extensive; however, he has a lot to learn in treating 'the whole patient'. I was not present for my dad's first appointment with Dr Schmidt, but I did attend the 2nd post-operative appointment and was very much looking forward to meeting him. I am sad to say that I was very disappointed - Dr Schmidt seemed like he was in a big hurry and the appointment seemed extremely rushed, looking back I am sorry that I did not address this issue during the appointment, but my mom and I were somewhat flabbergasted by his seemingly manic bedside manner. Five days after the appointment my dad taken a turn for the worse - he has a history of depression - and my mom and I both felt very strongly that he needed to meet with a counselor. We both placed several phone calls to his office expressing our concern and asking for a return phone call, neither of which happened until later the next day and only because I expressed extreme disappointment in Dr Schmidts ability to take his messages seriously. I did end up speaking with him again the conversation seemed very rushed - and ended with him promising to call me back by noon that day with some names of experienced counselors in our area. It is currently almost 24hours later and I have yet to hear from him. The family is currently looking for a new oncologist. When speaking with friends and family who have had to also face a terminal cancer diagnosis, their advice has always been to stay positive, make sure that all of my dads needs are addressed appropriately and timely; unfortunately, Dr. William Gert Schmidt, Jr. has a great deal of improving to do in this area; at least that was our experience.