Dr. William Hutchinson Jr MD Patient Reviews

• General Surgery Santa Monica, CA

• Good
  • Bad

February 18th, 2016
Wanted to do the wrong surgery, along with other problems
I specifically requested that my surgery not be performed at the surgical center Dr. Hutchinson co-owns because it has a TERRIBLE Y*lp reputation for its smarmy double-billing and overcharging practices. No matter how often I made the request to schedule my out-patient surgery at St Johns Hospital next door to his office (where he has privileges and told me it could be done there), his staff refused to schedule it there. Three business days prior to my scheduled surgery I still couldn't get so much as a ballpark estimate of my surgery center 10% co-pay and I didn't want to fall for the "pay $5000 on the day of surgery and go chase your refund" game that others have reported on Y*lp. I have never encountered the types of problems with scheduling and co-pay estimates at other surgical centers that are specifically not owned by Dr. Hutchinson. Who needs a money-grubber that is more focused on double-billing than on patient care? Between his failure to: return calls, review imaging prior to scheduling surgery, disclose his conflict of interest, lack of knowledge of my specific disease, provide timely pre-op instructions, etc. it is hard to decide what was the worst part of ever encountering this sub-par doctor and his cohorts. When I refused to use the Surgery Center of the Pacific, he dropped me as a patient. He did me a favor when he sent me his form letter (he must have a lot of dissatisfied patients to even feel the need to have a form letter terminating patient-physician relationships). I have verified that he wasn't going to perform the correct surgery. If he had actually spent more than five minutes with me and reviewed my medical records as he repeatedly promised to do, he would have known I needed a peripheral nerve surgery and not his antiquated one-size-fits-all hernia operation. A hernia was never a part of my pain equation. Multiple surgeons have reviewed my records and not one of them concurred with Hutchinson's "sports hernia" approach to resolving it. Other hernia surgeons recognized that I need a peripheral nerve surgeon and appropriately referred me instead of taking my money and doing the wrrong surgery. Thank you, Dr. Hutchinson, for your greed- it saved me from having your inappropriate surgery.

September 18th, 2015
outdated Procedure, arrogant and fee hungry
Doctor was abrupt and discounted the validity of a newer laparoscopic surgery for hernia repair, asking me rather tartly, "who's the doctor here?" Turns out his approach of a broad cut across the abdomen is much more invasive and painful. No other doctor recommended it for the simple issue I presented -- in fact doctor who performed surgery recommended strongly against it and said it was outdated for my problem. To make matters worse, he mailed bill for co-pay to a previous address and ended up having a collection agency threaten to destroy my credit over $70 after having already been paid $220 for a 15 min. visit.

August 23rd, 2010
Great Doctor With A Caring Heart You Can Trust
Dr. Hutchinson is a great surgeon. He is also a person and doctor of great honesty with a great bed side manner and one you can trust!! He has performed 2 of my surgeries some years ago and I am going back to see him again for his thoughts on a very rare problem I have that will require yet another surgery and to see if he will perticipate in this surgery.

June 28th, 2017