Psychiatrist

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

1.5

|  show details
Aug 6th, 2012

total Quack, More concerened about payment than helping. misdiagnosed my daughter. Emphasis on return business than truly helping diagnose and resolve.

|  Finally a dr. thats not a shrink!  |  show details
Mar 24th, 2012

He is the only dr that ever helped me. Every other dr just tried to medicate my emotions. I have been seeing psychiatrists and psychologists since I was 8 years because my parents got divorced and opted to make me take ritalin. When I turned 17 bipolar started to develop and I was 5150 status (72 hr psychiatric mental ward) over 10 times from 19-22. I hated my life and couldn't stay out of the hospital. I was introduced to Callahan by my parents, at 22 but wasn't ready for treatment. When I left my parents home and decided I needed to become an independent adult I stopped talking to them, and contacted Callahan because another psychiatrist I went to said "why don't you go see him he's one of the best.".When you have a Dr whose goal is to get you

|  Arrogant  |  show details
Feb 15th, 2012

I did my best with multiple visits. Like the other reviewers say- rude and arrogant. Belittles you in a very condescending manner. Save your money and try anyone else.

|  Dreadful  |  show details
Sep 22nd, 2011

Simply appalling. A superb and seasoned psychiatrist I had been seeing in New York City mentioned Callahans name to me when I moved from New York to Orange County presumably obtained by him via an informal network of gay psychiatrists with which my prior psychiatrist may have been associated. He later told me that he had no personal knowledge of Callahan. I had one consultation with Callahan some time ago and told him I was dealing with professional difficulties and conflicting feelings re. sexual orientation. Callahans demeanor from the get-go was obnoxious and offensive with the initial and loaded query: what problems bring you here today (not issues not difficulties not concerns not troubles words that a therapist would ordinarily use). I mentioned my professional and sexual concerns and Callahan adopted a bizarre and judgmental pose that he clung to for the remainder of the 45 minutes of wasted time and money on my part. Any personal foible and weakness I mentioned Callahan seized upon and distorted into grotesque pathologies (your condition is like a cancer) repeatedly harping upon how he had no time for patients interested in an analytical psychotherapeutic approach. Psychiatrists who practice in this vein engage in malpractice claimed Callahan. When I gave Callahan an insurance companys claim form he told me he was indicating on it a diagnosis of general anxiety (I felt no anxiety whatever during the consultation, and showed no symptoms of it) but that there could be more; and that he didnt know what happened to me that I came to be this way. This may sound incredible coming from a therapist during an initial consultation, but it is entirely true. A couple of other observations to round out this patients resounding vote of no-confidence: (1) Callahan has hung on his office wall his high school diploma (seriously!). Whatever cachet Callahan must ascribe to the place doesnt appear to have done him much good given his increasingly down-market university, med school, and residency credentials: Tufts and UC Irvine; (2) In his printed promotional materials Callahan used a trite phrase like feel more to which he has added a trademark claim (the little ): laughable from a legal perspective, but revelatory as to Callahans bumbling and overreaching personality; (3) Callahans office is located in what appears to be a mostly unoccupied building for mid-tier businesses in a miasma of overdevelopment in Orange County where nobody wants to be. Waiting room, shared with one or two other therapists, was borderline dirty, and had an abandoned air. I suspect taxpayers are paying Callahan a pension for his time in the military. Perhaps that explains his indifference to cultivating a solid base of patients, and his empty waiting room in Orange County.

|  show details
Jul 17th, 2010

This doctor claims a tough love approach and promises rapid results. He claims an extremely high success rate in helping his patients. However, he is extremely arrogant and his tough love is mean and cruel. He thinks he knows absolutely everything. After many visits I have yet to see any compassion, only rudeness. He intentionally belittle his patients. I suspect that if he does have a high rate of success it's because many patients never come back or are "fired" by him. In fact, he's quite proud of how he "fires" patients if they don't follow every order (he's ex-military and acts like the sterotype). Maybe those who put up with his abuse get better but putting up with his abuse would be quite a feat.