Dr. William Funk Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. William Funk?

August 10th, 2016

Wow, after being a patient there for years (since I was born) they told me I could no longer be seen. I hadn't been seen for a couple years (2012) as I had been in Florida but the rest of my family has continued to go there. I used to know everyone on staff and everyone used to be very friendly and accommodating. Not any longer!!!! I had been having gastro-intestinal issues for some time and while I was up visiting (which I do once a year) I wanted the one person that not only knows my history, but knows my family history with these issues. My 5 yo daughter (who had also been seen before there back in 2012) was also having an issue so I was hoping to knock out 2 birds with one stone. When I called I told I was no longer a patient and they wouldn't be able to see me or my daughter as they weren't accepting new patients. Then after I explained our history they said they have no records of my daughter ever being there and of me being there since 2009. The. They went on to say that the law states that if you haven't been seen in 5 years then you are no longer a patient (not sure if that's true but it sounds like they were reaching for any excuse they could) then they said it was because of insurance issues which I put to rest immediately by saying I would pay out of pocket but apparently that is a problem as well. There was no consideration and when I asked to talked to the doctor they said he was busy with patients and couldn't be bothered. When I asked to leave a message they said they would "leave a note". Dr. Funk if you are reading this please re-evaluate your staff. I hope you have not become as hard and unfriendly as your staff. Because the way it sounded it doesn't matter about the family or people anymore, it's all about the patient and how to make money. So sad.

December 3rd, 2015

Dr. Funk has an exceptional manner, truly looks out for the long term health of his patients and helps you to set achievable goals for a healthy lifestyle.

November 12th, 2015

Incredible problem solver

after 6 months being treated by wound care doctors my brother took over my care. In 4 months the ankle wound healed. No expensive creams-just Vaseline and oxidized olive oil. he is the Greatest!

October 26th, 2015

Dr. Funk can never retire!

March 8th, 2015

Best of the Best

I'm sorry to read of some bad experiences with Dr. Funk and/or his staff. Let me tell you why I think he is the absolute best Family Practice doctor in Delaware. #1 He is an excellent diagnostician. This should be the primary reason you see a physician, not for your waiting room experience, the staff behind the counter or even a bad one-on-one. Every person has an off day. If you do have a bad encounter, be assertive and let him know. It would, however, take multiple bad experiences to make me consider changing doctors. #2 His bedside manner is down-to-earth, proactive and often very funny. Remember, humor is often the best medicine. #3 He maintains an antonymous practice. Meaning that, although he is affiliated with a medical system (Christiana Care), he manages his patients through the system. The system does not manage him. We were patients for 22 years until moving half way across the country three years ago. Dr. Funk helped navigate my husband through 18 years of dealing with Multiple Sclerosis including four hip replacement surgeries and many, many hospitalizations. We have not found a medical practice that comes even remotely close to the care and dedication we experienced with Dr. Funk. Our children and now grandchildren are still patients. If you become a patient in his practice, consider yourself lucky.

December 22nd, 2014

Always practical and keeps it simple. A great family doctor.

July 28th, 2014

Only One Like Him!

I have been a patient for over 35years. Dr Funk delivered first born back before medical malpractice insurance became so out outrageous forcing family Drs. to give up doing what they loved. He has been am awesome doctor for my entire family of eight kids,parents,sisters and brother and there families. He is always reachable no matter what time and his bedside manner and follow up care are beyond excellent! This doctor KNOWS HIS MEDICINE AND EACH AND EVERY PATIENT! So comforting in a world of robotic medicine where doctors are controlled by big overhead companies and making money is all they care about. Great to have a doctor who truly cares about his patients and is on top of his hame with his medicine lnowledge!

March 14th, 2014

The office staff service so terrible

Dr Funk is straight and to the point. Excellent experience. The office staff service is unbelievably poor and verge on being rude. Either poorly managed, too understaffed… or both. Telephone communication is very challenging!

July 11th, 2013

I will first start off by saying I have been a patient of Dr Funk for the last 35 years and my children have been going to him since birth. I have never had an issue with Dr Funk, however, his office staff is terrible. My daughter who is 20 yrs old made an appt because of an awful earache. She works 2 jobs and is a full time student so it was difficult for her to find time between her schedule. SHe arrived at the appt and the receptionist behind the window was saying, "Where is this girl? People think they can just come and go as they please around here!!" - Not knowing my daughter was standing right there waiting to check in. SHe was 10 mins late due to traffic and she called the office prior to her appt to let them know of the traffic issue and she would be 10 mins late. Then the office staff told my daughter she owed $35.00 from a previous bill. My daughter said, "I'm sorry, I did not know any of that, and I have my $15.00 copay". Well, the staff told her she could not be seen until she paid the $35.00. My daughter was so upset, she just left. I am appalled that they would turn treatment away due to $35.00!!! All they had to do was to call me I would have gave payment over the phone!! The part that really upsets me is that I have been a patient for 35 yrs and now I am switching doctors for my entire family!! I'm planning on writing a letter to Dr Funk so he knows how his staff is treating people. I never cared for the staff for the last 10 years or so but that did not turn me away to search for another doctor, but now that is what it turned into.

July 4th, 2013

Used to be good, not anymore

I have been a patient for many years, however, in the past couple a years, things just seem to be off, with him. Sometimes the visit is good and sometimes, he just does not seem to listen to my concerns. The last visit was so bad that I am considering changing to a new Dr. He prescribed a type of drug for me, even after I told him that I previously had a bad reaction to this type of drug. With so many different drugs from which to chose, I just didn't see the need for the risk, but he would hear none of it.

July 4th, 2013

attitude towards patient

Dr. Funk is my mother's doctor. She is an elderly woman, and both my sister and myself feel that he does not truly listen to her concerns and take her seriously. He often dismisses her concerns, believing that she is just a fussy little old lady. I am a registered nurse, and her concerns are real. She is not a hypochondriac, and does not make these things up. I would like to say that "we are getting older, don't you know," is terribly insensitive and dismissive.

August 8th, 2012

Good doctor if you're a male.

I have been a patient of Dr. Funks for about 30 years. Fortunately, in all that time Ive probably seen him about five times. Ive always liked his Sherlock Holmes style of trying to figure out the cause of a problem.I have never had an issue until now. I recently went for a visit and had to wait over 45 minutes just to be seen. No apology was offered from Dr. Funk when he finally entered the exam room. I was there for a simple follow-up, but had informed the nurse who had taken my information that I had a new problem I would like to discuss with the doctor. The follow-up part of my appointment was over quickly and we moved to the new problem. I made the mistake of telling him that I went somewhere else for care and received a prescription from this other provider. Wrong thing to say! I was pretty much scolded for doing this and he said you were scheduled for a follow-up, but I cant charge you more for this new problem because Im not allowed to do that, but now I have to take more time to figure out the problem! Hmm didnt I just sit there 45 minutes waiting for you to get into the exam room? Of course, I didnt say that because I was floored that I was being reprimanded! Also, it didnt occur to me at the time, but I had tried to schedule an appointment with him about this problem when I was there previously for an appointment for my son, but his staff told me he was already booked up. That is the reason I went to another provider. I shared all this with my husband when I got home. He was really shocked because he had never had any issues in all the time he has seen him. A few weeks prior, I had a conversation with my sister-in-law who was a former patient of Dr. Funks. I asked her why she didnt go to him anymore. She said she didnt like how he spoke to her that he talked down to her and seemed to try to make her feel bad about herself. At the time of the conservation, I had not experienced this, but now after my recent incident, I feel as though his issue may be with female patients. This event has really soured me on Dr. Funk and I may have to consider looking for another primary.