Dr. William Gillanders Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. William Gillanders?

Great surgeon for hemi-thyroidectomy

Posted on September 8th, 2011

I was referred to Dr. Gillanders for a consult for possible removal of my enlarged thyroid. He clearly laid out advantages and disadvantages of having the surgery, of taking the whole thyroid versus only the half that was enlarged, what the process would be like, what to expect, etc. He even drew diagrams and wrote a pros and cons list to emphasize his points, which made it very easy to follow and absorb the large amount of information in a short period of time. He was receptive to my reservations and listened to my concerns. He is clearly very intelligent and experienced, as he was chief resident at the Washington University School of Medicine, which is one of the top medical programs in the nation. His personality was not "peppy" at the initial visit, but I was more concerned with having my questions answered and having an experienced surgeon perform my operation. On the day of my surgery he was reassuring, and the anesthesiologist also had wonderful things to say about Dr. Gillanders. He called me after-hours with my pathology results and presented the mostly-good news (there was a small area of cancer, but they got it all out and I need no further treatment, wahoo!) to me in an optimistic way and made sure that I understood everything and that saw the results in a positive light. My incision is very small, especially considering that I had a 4 cm goiter. Everyone says it looks great, and compared to the pictures I've seen online, I'm thrilled with the results. I was in very good hands with Dr. Gillanders and definitely recommend him as a surgeon.

Posted on October 15th, 2010

There are few physicians who impress me. Dr. Gillanders is one. He took time to familiarize himself with my history and not only discovered I did not have breast cancer but diagnosed an illness I was not aware I had. My confidence in him is such that I have already highly recommended him to a number of friends and family members.

Posted on September 29th, 2010

Dr. Gillanders is my idea of what every Doctor should be. He takes the time to explain and answer my questions and takes a real interest in his patients. He removed a thyroid lobe for me and I can honestly say I never had one moments pain. He gets an excellent rating from me.

Posted on April 17th, 2009

I recommend avoiding this surgeon. I suffered a very painful and disfiguring injury when he performed surgery on me. He told me he did not know what caused it. I was very unhappy with the quality of his care.

Posted on November 24th, 2008

Dr. Gillanders is a very knowledgeable and confident doctor. My experience was excellent and I would refer him to all.

Posted on October 24th, 2017