Family Physicians

221 E Caldwell Ave
Visalia, CA 93277
559-732-4726
Locations and availability (4)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Great doctor  |  show details
Mar 19th, 2012

Dr. Holvik, his dr.'s, nurse practioners, and his nurses are all wonderful. My entire family goes there, from my young child to my parents, all get excellent care. The office staff on the other hand are horrible, referrals and prescriptions are hard to get, you have to call the office one or more times after your appointment to make sure everything gets done. I would never switch dr.'s but I do wish his office staff was as good as the dr.'s.

|  show details
Jul 8th, 2011

I had some trauma-related issues due to a confrontation in May of 2011. Holviks office didnt reset the broken bone as necessary and just casted it (with a metal brace so monitoring X-Rays would be impossible) and let it ride. They would further tell me repeatedly it would take 48 hours to process X-rays, and it would turn out that they are on an electronic network -they could access the X-ray information instantly if desired.So I had three broken bones total. A week later I got long-awaited back surgery because it was clear that I was going to be laid up for six weeks anyway. I was explicit with Holviks office that I wanted to center my pain control with them because I didnt want to raise any red flags with multiple doctors.Ultimately I was given 60 percocets; ten days later I called for a refill and the on-duty nurse(?) sounded a little amused to tell me she wouldnt issue anymore, and invited me to make an appointment after an ADDITIONAL five days because the office was on Fourth of July holiday -there wasnt anyone there to dispute her ghoulishly-gleeful ruling. (This is why I am dinging the office in the "Courtesy and professionalism of office staff" category. I don't need a doctor if I'm not suffering. I CERTAINLY don't need to be mocked during the experience.)It is now four days short of two months, and due to pain I havent had more than two hours of consecutive sleep for the entire duration. Worse, my hand has healed deformed because it wasnt reset before the casting and may need to be rebroken/reset -the knuckle is in the wrong place, the pinky is twisted, blah blah. But the necessary referral to an orthopedic specialist amounted to another ten day wait with my bones healing wrong -plus it might only add an additional six WEEKS to my ability to return to work. Thus, after nine weeks of agony, I will be lucky to start the whole healing process over again ten days from now and be finished in late August.Holviks practice handles much of my vast family, and Ive never previously heard anything bad about it.-But I am sick of suffering.

|  Immediate care center, 215 E. Caldwell Ave, Visalia Ca  |  show details
Mar 7th, 2011

F.Y.I! Be aware if you have Healthnet and you choose Dr. Holvik as your Primary Care physician for the location on E. Caldwell, be ready to pay the urgent care copay of $75, and not your office visit copay. It turns out that Dr. Holvik is just the medical Director for Immediate care center at that location. And you will not see Dr. Holvik at that location. Dr. Holvik does not take HMO. So you will not be able to see him at the location on W. Willow.

|  Above and Beyond  |  show details
by Gloria on Aug 24th, 2010

I could write pages of how we feel about Dr. Holvik as a Dr.. He has treated my husband and myself for about 17 years. He is sharp, intellegent, professional and has a great bedside manner. He sees our adult children, their daughter, my parents in their last few months and we have referred our best friends to him and they are very happy with him. I recommend him highly! Over the years we have become friends. He's a good guy! I have to say he has seen my husband thru pneumonia(and found the cause), through an accident, through aches and pains of ageing, through job stress problems, the flu and viruses and so on. He took on my parents cases in their last days and gave me back my father for a while. He was so doped up in the convalescent hospital that he didn't talk. He took him off the meds, changed them and I was able to converse with my dad again. Unfortunately it was a little late for my dad to think clearly all the time but he knew who we were and we could communicate. I'll always be greatful for that. Dr. Holvik has seen me through a lot of stressful times over the years. I don't have a lot of medical problems but he has taken care of me or got me specialist who are able to follow through. He has alway been right with the diagnosis. I thank God I'm in pretty good health. We're Happy we have found a good doctor.

|  Very Caring and knowledgable  |  show details
Feb 5th, 2010

I have been a patient for over 10years and have always felt well cared for. The office staff knows me when I come in and asks about my children. The Dr. and NPs spend as much time as is needed and, I feel, care for the whole person, not just the physical side.We need more Dr.s like you!

|  The Best  |  show details
by Heather on Nov 11th, 2009

My family and I have been going to Dr. Holvik for about 8 years and we will continue going to him until he no longer practices medicine. About 6 years ago my husband starting having problems with his back. It got to the point where he was having issues walking. He went to see Dr. Holvik and he (Dr. Holvik) wanted an MRI. His nurse called for verication from our insurance and the deied the claim and staed that my husband needed physical therapy firstDr. Holvik got on the phone, asked to speak to a supervisor and informed them that if they waited my husband would never walk again. I only knw this because he was on the phone talking to them as we were leaving his office. Needless to say my husband had an MRI and found he had a disc blocking his spinal cannal and had surgery a day later. Had Dr. Holvik not fought for my husband, he would not be able to walk today.This is just once instance that Dr. Holvik has impressed me. Today I went in with my 6 year old daughter and Dr. Holvik was wonderful. He talked to her like she was the most important person in town, looked her over, and insured he answered all my questions. He is not quick to prescribe medications if they are not needed, but will in a heart when they are.Dr. Holvik and his back office staff are wonderful!