inactive

William L Matzner MD Patient Reviews

3.8

February 18th, 2013
This doctor pointed us towards tests we needed...
I saw Dr. Matzner at the recommendation of a friend who believed he had helped her achieve a healthy birth after multiple pregnancy losses. When he gave me his long list of expensive tests I decided to take them to my RE (in whose care I'd lost two naturally conceived pregnancies) and asked him which tests had merit. He told me that APA, ANA, and NK Count should be run, drew my blood and sent it off to West Coast Labs (an independent lab) for testing. When I came up positive for APA with elevated NK count he said that while we couldn't know they caused my losses, it was possible that they had and that if I conceived again I should inject lovenox, a blood thinner, daily while pregnant to treat the APA. To suppress the elevated NK count, he said I should take low dose prednisone, a steroid, orally, once a day during the first trimester only. So with my DE IVF achieved pregnancy (age 44 after two prior attempts had to be cancelled prior to retrieval due to problems outside of anyone's control) I did both and had a relatively easy, blissful pregnancy during which I ate right, exercised moderately, and gained only the expected amount of weight. Then two days before the medically necessary scheduled C section (2 weeks before term) my OB told me to cease lovenox and two days later I nearly died. HELLP Syndrome (an extreme form of eclampsia) ruptured my liver and gave me a stroke that put me in a six week long coma. Ultimately I needed brain surgery, a tracheotomy, $11,000 in blood transfusions, respiratory, physical, and cognitive therapies (18 months of Cognitive therapies) to bring me back to normal functioning.) While most women who use lovenox do not suffer strokes after stopping it, I am convinced that lovenox kept my baby girl and me healthy as long as we were and enabled her to survive. Many HELLP syndrome moms and babes don't survive. I remain grateful to Dr. Matzner (who I believe is now retired) for pointing me towards the tests we needed to run before I could carry my daughter.

July 26th, 2011
Go somewhere else.
Poorest assessment I have ever seen. Rounds on large numbers of elderly and debilitated patients without even trying to establish a true patient-doctor relationship. In the best interest of your family and other loved ones. Find someone else. He was randomly "assigned" to care for my mother by another questionable practitioner.