Physiatrist (physical, rehabilitation), Pain Management Specialist
Video profile

3.0

Dr Lichtenfeld hurt me during an epidural and never even followed up, even after I contacted his office notifying them of the situation. Overall, a rude doctor who is clearly into himself. show details Dr Lichtenfeld hurt me during an epidural and never even followed up, even after I contacted his office notifying them of the situation. Overall, a rude doctor who is clearly into himself.
by Bob S. on Jul 31st, 2015

This was a horrible experience. His practice was recommended, but obviously not all the doctors are good doctors. I went to him with extreme lower back pain and he ordered an MRI. After the MRI he waited 48 hours to review it, even though I stated I was in the worst pain of my life. Then he suggested an epidural procedure. Within a few hours of the procedure, I had a horrible headache and I called his office to notify them. A nurse from his office advised me to lay down and take pain medication. I became sick to my stomach and felt like throwing up, blurred vision and now the worst headache of my life. After calling his office again and expecting to hear from Dr Lichtenfeld, his office advised me to go to the emergency room. I ended up going to Emory Johns Creek ER and they told me that I had a "Spinal Headache" as a result of the procedure performed by Dr Lichtenfeld. I expected to be visited by Dr Lichtenfeld in the hospital or at least to be contacted by him, considered I had notified his office of the severity of the situation. I told his office of the incident and that I had a spinal headache as a result of his procedure. A CAT Scan was performed and numerous other test to confirm there was no blood going to my brain. His office knew I went to the ER. He never visited me or contacted me via phone even though his office is right across the street. After charging me more than $1,200 for the procedure he rushed to perform the procedure and did it as an "outpatient" procedure in his office. He said he had done hundreds of these procedures and he can do them in his sleep. He was rushed during the procedure and acted like he needed to be somewhere else. He didn't even introduce himself to my wife that was sitting right next to me. The total bill for the ER was almost $4,500. Still, even after I recovered, I contacted his office to give them a summary of what happened and I expected them to pass this along to the doctor. Still, no attempt by him to reach out to me. I was no concern of his, even though I was recommended to his office. I then went back to person that recommended this practice and told her what happened. She was very surprised and said she would NEVER recommend them again. This was a horrible experience and I had to pay a lot of money for it. Its amazing this guy is still in business treating people like this. My advise, stay away from Dr Lichtenfeld and this practice all together.

Better Doctors Out There show details Better Doctors Out There
Jul 20th, 2015

Maybe he was having a bad day, but being so dismissive about someone's pain who clearly has a history of documented problems is very disappointing. I really think he needs to seek out another profession that makes him happy, because clearly dealing with patients is not his forte. He may be knowledgeable about back problems, but his lack of connection with the patient seems to overshadow his medical smarts. Look elsewhere for a doctor who actually cares!

Caring and compassionate show details Caring and compassionate
by Tanya pryhoda on Feb 9th, 2015

This doctor is understanding, knowledgeable, and thorough. He listens to me and explains how my body works and responds to my issues. I'm grateful to be under his care.

great doctor show details great doctor
by ron on Jan 22nd, 2014

he has been able to keep me moving for over 15 years I was able to work up and till 4 years AGO GREAT STAFF also

Arrogant show details Arrogant
Sep 19th, 2013

Arrogant, self serving, no bedside manner whatsoever. Didn't seem willing to try to find solution for adequate diagnosis & pain management plan. He asked if I was asking my psych for pain meds...what was that about???I felt I had to prompt him to try to diagnose by giving him genetic issues..Not a good pain management specialist. More concerned about # of patients he was to herd thru office. He acted like I was a pest.

Three visits, each longer than an hour show details Three visits, each longer than an hour
Dec 19th, 2011

I have visited Dr Lichtenfeld thrice. Everytime I had to wait for more than 90 minutes. Recently I needed an appointment at short notice and had to take that with his Nurse practitioner. When I visited him after 4 weeks for a follow-up appointment, I had to wait for more than 2 hours and then same nurse came and told me that she will took care of me as Dr Tichtenfeld is too busy :-( upon my insistence I did get to see Dr Lichtenfeld, but only for 5 minutes. Next time I will go to a doctor who has time to hear me properly.

Dec 7th, 2011

I read reviews about this MD on this site and was concerned. However, after my first visit, I have only a good impression of his care. He was thorough, explained what needed explaining, and treated me respectfully. I had a couple frustrating experiences getting appointments with pain specialists before this was scheduled and this was a wonderful contrast. I am happy to have him manage my pain. Already, there is a difference in my pain level and my appointment was two days ago.

Terrible show details Terrible
May 7th, 2011

Dr. Lichtensfeld. I was diagnosed with a split disk and referred to him for pain management. He walked into the the room and sat down on his laptop. Then he told me he had looked at my MRI and that it wasn't bad. I should take 10 days of anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxants and get active and running. Yes, that solved the problem. 1 year on, my herniated disk has gotten worse and I know why. I was not educated on what "not" to do with my condition. He didn't bother telling me. In fact I categorically remember asking him is there anything I shouldn't do and his answer was "no". Umm "hello". Herneated disk 101 says teach patient proper sitting technique, tell him not to bend and pick up things, etc etc. I know he is not supposed to teach me but he should have referred me somewhere. A simple 15 minute tutorial would have prevented my current condition "annular disk tear". Yes, I could/should have done my research bu when your doctor says "do anything"....Stay away. And in general stay away from Southern Orthopedics. They suck.

Feb 19th, 2011

I have been seeing Lichtenfeld for a year now and after the experience of other pain management doctors, I love him. He is a great doctor, I get back to see him quickly and he spends a great deal of time going over my progression. He actually seems to care and goes out of his way to get me out of pain. My only complaint is the women up front are very rude and impersonal. Plus it takes forever to get an appointment. I think he would be better if he fired all the up front ladies. But him and his PA are excellent.

Horrible doctor show details Horrible doctor
Jul 28th, 2010

Saw him for back pain. Waiting 90 minutes saw him for 5. He said I had muscle problem gave me two scripts. Left me in agony on the exam table unable to get up. Got second opinion and MRI showed herniated disc needing surgery. Incompetent arrogant and rude. Worst doctor have ever seen

Feb 1st, 2009

Very impersonal and poor bedside manner. Is more interested in typing your notes than he is making eye contact and actually talking with you about what's going on and acting like he gives a crap. I would not recommend him.