Dr. William Melcher MD Patient Reviews

• Rheumatology Portland, OR

April 22nd, 2015
Rheumatologist Visit
My first appointment with Dr. Melcher didn't go horrible. He diagnosed me with osteoarthritis and gout from xrays and blood tests. I was prescribed with prednisone even though the Dr. Melcher didn't think it would work since his diagnosis was osteoarthritis. I am very pleased with how well the prednisone worked. I was given refills for prednisone for a year without any real guidance on how to take them. I was told to stop taking them if I feel like I am taking too much. Given that the prescription worked well and the doctor didn't think it would, it might be worth a second look at the diagnosis. My second visit went horrible. I brought in information I received from my general doctor and another doctor from the same HMO. Both were thinking I may have something else. When I handed the papers to Dr. Melcher, he glanced at them, folded the paper, and gave it back to me. He then asked how well prednisone went and that was the end of my appointment. Dr. Melcher is rude and doesn't care about his patients.

August 1st, 2013
Everything We Could Want in a Doctor
Dr Melcher may not be the life of the party, but we don't see him for a party; we see him for his expertise regarding RA. He listens well, seems concerned and empathetic, is very knowledgeable, and is willing to accept alternative treatments if that's what we want to try. He listened to my wife and I for more than 20 minutes without interrupting unless we asked a question or for his opinion. Dr Melcher is everything we want in a doctor ... except a son-in-law who will give us medical advice for free.

July 5th, 2011
This doctor is horrible. He denied my diagnosis when I have been treated by 2 other rheumatologists over a period of 5 years. He refused to order any x-rays or tests, even though my most recent ones are old. He ignored my questions and he was incredibly rude. He snapped at me and told me to get a different doctor when I asked about my care plan. I would never go back to this doctor. This might be the worst experiences I have ever had at a physician's office. Unprofessional and uncaring.