Dr. William Payne Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. William Payne?

Honest, ethical and an amazing doctor

Posted on October 10th, 2017

He is very blunt and to-the-point, no candy coated chit chat. I don't care about the touchy-feely stuff, he is the best spine surgeon in IL. I really love him, and am used to his manner. He is not rude, but he is forthright. First time I went, he talked to me for quite awhile about my spine issues, and actually said he wouldn't recommend surgery at that time. How many surgeons do that when he could easily have pushed it, and I would be worse not better after the operation. Now one of the parts of my condition(s) has worsened to a point that I need the surgery to live like a normal person. When I decided on it, I had gone to see him and had a fairly long talk about having that surgery and wouldn't let me say yea or nay on it at that visit. I was to go home and ruminate on it and call with my decision (yea). Who does that? He wants the patient to be sure of what they want to do. I am having my fusion and possibly more than the just putting the wonky, rogue vertebrate in its rightful place. I would not let any other spine surgeon touch me. I don't need a doctor to push his agenda on me, and Dr Payne doesn't. He is thought to be the best spine surgeon in IL. I think so.

Finally a Dr that cares!!!!

Posted on July 26th, 2017

After going through low back pain for over 1 1/2 years and pain so bad it took me out of work and took hold of my life and I had seen 2 neurosurgeons that couldn't figure out what was wrong with my back as well as 3 pain injections and discogram and every other test they could throw at me, I was sent to a ortho dr in Mt Carmel because neuro guys thought it might be my hips and ortho guy said it's not your hips and he injected hips with no success so he then referred me to Dr Payne which was like 3 1/2 hours from where I live but I was willing to go anywhere. After Dr Payne looked at my MRI and CT and X-rays and discogram he could see where my pain was coming from. Finally some good news. Dr Payne on my visits would spend twice as much time with me as any of the other countless number of Drs I had seen and never acted rushed or in a hurry and would let me ask every question and would never make me feel like they were dumb questions. Dr Payne actually made me feel like he cared and it was comforting. So he made a game plan and I had my back surgery little over 2 weeks ago and I'm already feeling better than I have in a long time. Dr Payne's bed side manners were outstanding and the staff at St Johns Hospital in Springfield were outstanding and I would never hesitate to go back.

Posted on January 30th, 2017

This was going to be my 3rd spinal surgery. My original doctor is no longer in Springfield. I was a bit apprehensive going to a new surgeon. Dr. Payne is wonderful. He took the time to explain everything to us. I would highly recommend him.

Posted on May 13th, 2016

Worst experience ever! Ruined my life with spine surgery

Posted on March 24th, 2015

He did not listen to me at all. Did not examine me at all. Told me I was getting old and should deal with the aches and pains.

Cervical Surgery

Posted on December 9th, 2013

Dr. Payne misdiagnosed me to begin with then it took a year for him to get me back in to get the right MRI done and we felt he only did that to shut us up when low and behold his whole neck is messed up having to go in for a cervical fusion and then a spinal decompression not happy with his cockyness , and rush to get patients out of the office being so confident he is right with nothing to say that he is

Amazing Dr. and Surgeon

Posted on October 12th, 2013

A week ago today Dr. Payne perfored an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion on C5-6. I am completely and utterly amazed at how easy and effective this procedure has been! I have joint problems and this was my 13th surgery and my 1st by Dr. Payne - it was by far the most manageable (regarding pain) and had the easiest and shortest recovery period. He is straight forward, professional, knowledgeable, and an artist! Definitely would recommend him!

Posted on July 25th, 2012

Super nice guy, very smart. Office staff was great! Couldn't be happier. My ability to walk was immediately better after surgery. What a talented surgeon

Posted on December 12th, 2011

Very prompt and listened to me. Outstanding!

Big mistake

Posted on September 28th, 2011

i was referred to Dr. Payne by my primary care doctor after being in a bad car accident. I was encouraged to see the nurse practitioner, who was kind but totally misdiagnosed my problems. She thought I had one compression fracture of the spine when in fact I had six. When I could no longer walk and contacted the office they were not the slightest bit concerned.Dr. Payne finally saw me in person then and he was abrupt and showed me little compassion despite the fact that I was in severe pain and terrified. His office staff were uncaring and the nurses I dealt with were horrible- verging on being rude. I finally went to another specialist but due to being treated incorrectly initially I now have permanent damage to my spine. I would never recommend this doctor or his staff to anyone.damage to my spine. I would never recommend this physician or his nurse practitioner to anyone.

Great