Otolaryngologist (ear, nose, throat), Plastic Surgery Specialist, Surgical Specialist
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Great experience  |  show details
Nov 3rd, 2014

I recently underwent a lower face and neck lift. The results are excellent. I told him on the first appointment less is best and he doesn't overdo. Most people don;t know that I've had anything done but just say " gee you look good" or did you lose weight. He is straightforward with his explanation and is not really warm and fuzzy which is fine. He is an excellent surgeon with up-to-date techniques which is exactly what I was looking for.

Apr 21st, 2014

I am about 6 weeks post nose surgery for a deviated septum and nasal fracture and am so far please with the results. I broke my nose a few years back and it was crooked and stuffed, and even before that I have never breathed very well through it. Always been a mouth breather. I finally decided to see a specialist about it. I was very skeptical of having surgery because its never fun but the staff made me feel confident in that decision and after trying some other things I was sure it was the best option too. Surgery went well, bruising and pressure was intense, and my nose is still a little numb/tingly but I can breath better way better and my nose is straighter. I'm also very pleased with my profile which wasn't even something that really bothered me before my surgery.

|  A Thankful and Happy Patient!  |  show details
Feb 7th, 2014

When I came to see Dr. Portuese after an unfortunate accident (a collision with my golden retriever), my nose was on the left side of my face. I suffered a nasal fracture and deviated septum. However, even before the accident I disliked my nose and the resulting profile it created. I had (past tense) a large bump on the bridge of my nose that has been a constant source of insecurity for me. Thanks to Dr. Portuese, his staff, and my canine friend, I am in love with my new nose. After the accident, a dear friend of mine told me about the best Facial Plastic Surgeon in Seattle. From the moment I stepped into the office, I felt comfortable and cared for. His staff is accommodating, friendly, and helpful. Some of his staff has worked for him for 20 years and still smiling. (Having a long-term staff and keeping them happy speaks volumes about his character) Dr. Portuese took his time to explain to me what was needed. He is kind, professional, patient, and knowledgeable. He spoke of the procedure with confidence and he assured me that I could do it. He also talked to me about the outcome, risks and benefits. He spoke of a little rhinoplasty. Now this was music to my ears…. Goodbye little bump? During the pre op appointment, the nurse spent nearly an hour with me answering my questions and talking about what to expect before and after as far as anesthesia and pain control. She explained to me that the surgery is done in a surgical center next to the office and attached to the hospital. Both familiar and comforting. On surgery day, everyone was so sweet to me and I am sure could tell how nervous I was. The office manager told me to dream of beaches while I took my little nap. Dr. Portuese came in and spoke with my husband and I. The surgical nurse held my hand while the anesthesiologist talked me to sleep. Believe me when I tell you that the anti-nausea medication worked. I was never sick. The pain medication (I stayed on top of it) worked. I was NEVER in pain. The drippy nose was annoying, but to be expected. Initial bruising coincided with the NFC championship game so I just wore the 12th man stickers proudly over the bruises. I am about 3 weeks post surgery. No bruising left. I feel great! I can breathe better than ever. But most importantly…... MY NOSE IS BEAUTIFUL! Is that even possible? Never thought I would say that about my nose! Dr. Portuese repaired the fracture and septum. He added cartilage to one side and the bump? GONE. He took that horrible lump off of the bridge of my nose…. I can and do love my profile now. I have never loved my profile. In fact, I have always avoided letting people see me from the side as much as possible. He truly is amazing and my experience was much better than I would have hoped for. I am so thankful for the result, for Dr. Portuese, and his staff. (And of course, I still love my dog. He did me a favor! Thanks Jack!!)

|  Very happy with the outcome!  |  show details
by Debora L on Sep 8th, 2013

Dr Portuese was very profecional, he took the time to listen and explain to me the process of my rhinoplasty and what he was going to do, I left his ofice confident that he could do a good job. My surgery went well the healing prosses was quick and almost painless and most important I love the outcome! I feel like a new person I'm no longer selfconsious about my nose, i now have a natural and beautiful looking nose I would highly recomend doctor portuise!

|  Perfect outcomes  |  show details
by Looking younger and very happy about it on May 10th, 2013

I have had two separate procedures done by Dr. Portuese. Both experiences were everything I could ask for. The staff was very knowledgeable and accommodating. Dr. Portuese was honest and very skilled. My neck and lower face lift turned out perfect. The follow up care was attentive and I was always informed. I have recommended Dr. P to other friends who have had the same experiences. It is so important that once be able to trust their physician and their staff. Dr. Portuese and his staff filled that need for me.

|  Going elsewhere  |  show details
Mar 27th, 2013

I was in the office for two hours for a rhinoplasty consultation. One and half of it was sitting in the waiting area. The office staff had difficulty creating an after picture and admitted it was not a good representation. I was not willing to wait any longer for her to continue trying. The doctor referred to his office staff as 'the girls.' I've decided to go elsewhere.

Jun 30th, 2012

I have thought about having eyelid surgery since I was a teenager because of my heavy uncomfortable eyelids. Another doctor mentioned he had the same surgery with Dr. Portuese and highly recommended his work. I am thrilled with the results - natural but refreshed. I have been back to his office for Botox and microderm and am always impressed by everyone in the office. Highly recommended - I will be back!

|  Lower face lift and upper eyelid surgery  |  show details
Jun 12th, 2012

Dr Portuese was recommended to me by another physician for his skill in this area. In our first meeting, he carefully explained what he did and realistically told me what to expect (I would not come out looking like a teenage model). I sincerely appreciated that and indeed, the outcome way surpassed my expectations. I am absolutely overjoyed. I must also add that his staff is very special. It's rare to see a staff appear to be so fond of their doctor as his is. And they are genuinely fond of each other. They all treated me very special on every visit. I never had to wait at all- not even 5 minutes- and they all treated me like an individual and very important case. I highly recommend this doctor and his staff.

|  Not such a caring doctor after the surgery (and he has your money)  |  show details
Mar 31st, 2012

A couple of years ago I visited multiple doctors about getting the nose surgery I had be waiting and saving for my whole adult life. I chose Dr. P, I'm still kicking myself for that decision, after meeting with him several times to ensure that he understood my desired look and making sure that it was attainable and I wouldn't be let down or waste the money just to be back at the same spot as when I was 18. He told me that he understood what I wanted, blah blah blah. Morning of the surgery when I saw him I made sure that he had the picture to take in to surgery and he was kind of short with me but of course I was about to have a needle put in my arm and it was the first surgery of the morning and i was tired and scared. Oh, he had said in my office meetings that he would work on my nose until I was happy and that I wouldn't be charged. so fast forward......my nose is healing and it's not looking too different. 6 months still not much difference except for it's now crooked and caved in at the bridge of the nose on one side. also at the bridge of the nose it is really bumpy to the touch and if you look at it. I have thin skin so you can see the unfiled or choppy job he did. he also cut the tendon or whatever that connects the nose to the lip because when i smiled my nose pulled down but we had never discussed that and it seems that after the surgery the nostril area is actual not symmetrical anymore. with cave in at the top and a slight pull to the side and the nostrils are off.......in profile pictures I look like I have two different noses. one isn't so bad but the other looks like i am in need of reconstructive surgery because of the dent. he told me that well, you have to look to see the crookedness so it's not really a major problem. Well, in pictures it is sooo noticeable and of course when i look at myself everyday of course I can see it (and feel it). he went on to tell me that there is only so much that can be done, of course that is why i let him know my expectations and to make sure what I wanted was doable with what I have conservatively speaking. He told me that I would have to pay again for the anesthesia and I said that he told me that I wouldn't have to pay if there were any revisions. wellllll, they didn't agree to do it for free was his response. he said that he could redo it with a local. could you imagine having your nose worked on while you were awake??? ugh. anyway, i had babies and BF which has taken many years so i never went back but still have the crazy thought to go back and ask for my money. When i look at before and after the before was much better. the nose was just a little broader on the sides. now it;s caved, crooked/bumpy and lopsided. just a reminder of 5K flushed down the toilet and another reason to be weary of little men in little white jackets who smile nicely and "look" like they are there to do their job and help you. The doctor seems to make the patient feel like WE are the one's asking for TOO much. if he would have said that my nose could only be a smudge narrower and no length could be taken off, do you think i would have agreed to hand my money over to him? NO WAY. shame on you doctor. not miracles but honesty and commitment to your patient.

Mark as Helpful  | 13 people found this helpful Report Abuse
 |  Walk away.Look for doctor with ethics and skill.  |  show details
Nov 30th, 2011

Dr. Portuese has two faces.One seemingly caring,attentive and trustworthy in consultations.The other face is the one of reality...disingenuous,and utmost unethical in refusing to admit to error or intentionally not performing surgically all the areas of rhinoplasty discussed(ie not referencing my printed directions of guidance and desired final profile photo agreed upon between us in the preop appointment-to which he insists both accompanied him into surgery).In fact,I had to reiterate twice the correct profile photo for him to reference just moments before walking into surgery,and, apparently from the rhinoplasty outcome,this dr still incorrectly referenced the very first consult photo that merely addressed the top of bridge.I voiced suspicions post-op that he did not perform surgically all of what I paid him to do,but his assurances were that my nose was indeed deprojected per final photo,nosetip elevated,bridge scooped so profile no longer straight-down,bridge bone straightened,cartilage removed from septum to bring symmetry to frontal nasal bumps,and air passage would perform better after what he had done.None of these aforementioned requested and expected desires are visually apparent one year after surgery,my breathing is far worse where I feel stuffy,and his story has changed regarding cartilage removal from septum.The only visual difference in my appearance is a shallow scraping to a small portion of the top of bridge leaving a noticeable and highly undesirable demarcation.This doctor performed the bare minimum in surgery, blaming all of the lack of expected outcomes on this being an unpredictable revision surgery whereas the more likely truthful explanation for not one desire being met is that he mistakenly or intentionally followed the wrong profile photo and dismissed my peronal printed instructions for guidance altogether.Hindsight encourages me to warn others who view this doctor's impressive credentials,read unbelievable positive reviews, and are taken in by doctor and staff at consults to walk away and look for a doctor with ethics and skill so you have no regrets.

Mark as Helpful  | 12 people found this helpful Report Abuse
 |  Beyond my expectations  |  show details
Jun 15th, 2011

I was referred to Dr. Portuese for eyelid surgery. I found the Doctor and his entire staff to be welcoming, friendly, knowlegable and professional. Each person I dealt with made me feel confident that I had chosen the right Doctor and the outcome of my surgery was beyond my expectations. I would recommend Dr. Portuese, and his staff, to anyone.

Jun 10th, 2011

Dr Portuese did a phenomenal job on my nose. I am so happy with the outcome. He transformed my nose to conform naturally to my face and now its perfectly straight. I cannot express the professionalism, care and respect I was given from him and his staff right from my initial consultation to post-surgery care. I highly recommend Dr Portuese for rhinoplasty surgery!

|  Left with a bad taste in my mouth  |  show details
Jun 7th, 2011

This man was beyond rude, condescending, and just not helpful in any way, nor did he show a shred of compassion or empathy. I found him rather cruel.