Dr. William Grace MD Patient Reviews

• Medical Oncology New York, NY

3.6

July 24th, 2016
He saved my life- 36 years later !

July 31st, 2015
Dr. William Grace assured me and my family that he would care for my mother, as he would for his own mother. My mother did not survive his care and with many lingering questions, and attempts to reach him or Lenox Hill Hospital administrators, I have no other choice but to pursue a NYS Department of Health investigation. Dr. Grace has refused to answer questions related to my mother's rapidly deteriorating condition. Chemotherapeutic meds went missing on the hospital floor which made her miss critical days of treatment. His lack of medical and moral ethics and indifference to patient's and family suffering during my mother's final months of struggle are proof that he was the absolute worst choice.

July 14th, 2015
❤️
He saved my dad's life. I'm so grateful for his expertise. Dr grace us a doctor that looks for solutions and generally finds them.

December 27th, 2014
He may be the right doctor for you, but proceed with caution
My family member did not have a good outcome following treatment with Dr. Grace. With cancer treatment, of course, this is often the case, even with the best medical care. What my family and I fault Dr. Grace for is for falling short of honesty and professionalism. He is indeed charming, as one reviewer pointed out -- but he failed (at least in our case) to tell us the truth of our father's condition and instead continued to urge very aggressive treatment without reservation or caveats. Finally, he abandoned his patient when the situation became dire. After the surgery following chemo, the surgeon and nurses told us that was really going on, but by that point, it was too late to make a decision for quality of life. The organ tissues were completely destroyed by the chemo and so surgery to remove the cancerous tissue could not proceed. And despite our family having calmly asked Dr. Grace along the way whether the aggressive treatments were the best option, he insisted that they would be successful and used his charm to shut the conversations down, smiling and reassuring us. How we would have appreciated him saying something like, "This is extremely aggressive treatment, your father is in a very compromised condition, and you as a family need to decide whether you are comfortable with this course of treatment. You do have the option of preserving quality of life for the time he has left. We can never guarantee outcomes." Instead, he gave glib reassurances to our father, and continued cheerleading for more and more aggressive treatments. At the end, the hospital staff was unable to reach him over several days when we had crucial decisions to make -- he simply would not respond to phone calls to his staff, and he was not on vacation. He did not call to check on, or visit, our father after the aborted surgery. A resident made a small error which lead to a quick decline and far more suffering than was necessary -- for our father and for the family. It was obvious the staff had seen this behavior before and were used to telling patients that they were indeed placing calls to Dr. Grace but that he wouldn't call back. There was no reason for him to be afraid to tell us things weren't working out. Obviously, we knew that was possible. He just did not want to be there to face the disappointment of the person he had treated as an experiment and the family to whom he had said "oh, we're gonna cure him!". A doctor cannot make such reassurances as he did while selling a set of extremely aggressive treatments. And he cannot ignore his patients when it comes time to let the patient know that things are not going well. Obviously, the patient and family know that outcomes are not guaranteed. They are owed the dignity of being told that despite all the best efforts, the treatment compromised the patient and will hasten a bad outcome. And the oncologist certainly cannot ignore phone calls from the floor when his patient is post surgery and dying. People in far less lofty professions would be fired for such behavior. On a related point, patients deserve to know upfront that they do have options for less aggressive treatments, even if those treatments would be handled by someone other than Dr. Grace. By marketing his techniques to patients desperate for a cure, he is depriving some of a few more months of life they might choose to have with less invasive treatment. It is irresponsible to not at least give patients that caveat. Get several opinions for your treatment, or that of a loved one. If you choose to work with Dr. Grace on more invasive treatments than other doctors might have suggested for you, be prepared that you may not get an accurate set of the pros and cons of a particular treatment from Dr. Grace and that if things don't go well, Dr. Grace may deprive you of answers when you need them, by staying away from the hospital and staff. He may indeed be the right doctor with the right strategy for you. He will be pleasant and friendly when you deal with him. But I would suggest getting several other opinions before you commit to treatment with him. I have since had another family go through cancer treatment and eventually die, but with a different oncologist. That doctor managed our expectations up front, suggested pain management, more gentle treatment and a focus on quality of life. As a result, we had a few good years of cherishing happy moments with this relative, and a few more years for the small children to grow and be able to have some memories of him. What a difference.

March 21st, 2012
THANK GOODNESS FOR DR. GRACE!!
Words cannot express how grateful I am for finding Dr. Grace. Last May I came to him with Stage IV breast cancer, which had spread to my hip, lymph nodes, and most likely lungs. I was laying on the couch wheezing after trying many holistic treatments. Luckily my friend referred me to him, as I knew I need to finally do something agressive.In one procedure at Lenox Hill, I had my port installed and had a regional profusion to the left breast. The size of my tumor (which had largely replaced my left breast) shrank down within several weeks. It was amazing! I also had a biopsy done in order to determine which chemo drugs were most effective for my cancer (the Weisenthal approach). I then had chemotherapy every 2 weeks. I had some nausea and fatigue, and I did lose my hair, but those were my main complaints, and had pretty good energy throughout. 8 months later I'm happy to say I'm in a complete clinical remission! Dr. Grace is caring, has a great attitude, is cutting-edge (he just has tools other oncologists don't), and always very responsive whenever I had questions or concerns. I highly recommend Dr. Grace!!

September 28th, 2011
A terrible experience
Dr. Grace was extremely persuasive when he told us that he believed he could cure my daughter's stage IV breast cancer if she had chemo assays performed by a lab he highly recommends and then an intense course of chemo based on the assays. Against the advice of her medical team at NYU Langone Cancer Center, she decided to have the assays done and receive chemotherapy treatments from Dr. Grace. She had to pay several thousand dollars for the assays out of pocket since insurance doesn't cover them. Dr. Grace also advocates a one-time procedure called a regional chemo breast infusion, given either before or after a long course of regular intravenous chemo treatments. My daughter decided to start out with the procedure and made an appointment with a surgeon at Lenox Hill Hospital to whom Dr. Grace had taught the procedure. It involves sending chemo through an artery in the groin, up through the aorta and directly into the two arteries on either side of the breast. She had an adverse reaction to this blast of chemicals into her breast by the next day -- a large painful inflammation on her chest, pain in her shoulder, numbness coming and going in her arm, and a loss of range of motion of the arm. We went in to see Dr. Grace just before he left on a two-week vacation and he thought it was an allergic reaction and suggested cold packs and pain killers. The symptoms got worse. My daughter went back to NYU where they did a blood test and found that her white cell count was dangerously low (400). They gave her a shot of Nulasta. They were worried that the chest inflammation might be an extravasation, where the chemo leaks into the surrounding tissue. She had also developed a new angry-looking hard red lump on her chest. We spoke to the doctor who was "covering" for Dr. Grace, but he didn't know anything about the procedure or its side effects. The surgeon was very concerned but didn't know what to do about the side effects either. He had only performed the procedure once before. We spent days seeing specialists, trying to find out how serious it might be. She was sent to a plastic surgeon who sent her to a neurologist who did an MRI and said she had scar tissue on her side, under her arm and shoulder and needed physical therapy or the impairment could be permanent. He said the hard, painful area of her chest might take years to go away. All her hair fell out over one weekend. Dr. Grace's staff said they were leaving messages for him but couldn't reach him. We didn't hear from him at all during the weeks he was away -- or when he returned. I finally called and made anappointment and we both went in. He said she should have had blood tests once a week. We pointed out that he had never mentioned that or made arrangements for them. My daughter told him she'd felt abandoned. He apologized profusely, he's really a charming, likable man, and said he will always, always return phone calls. My daughter asked if he would speak to an oncologist she sometimes consults with at NYU that she had an appointment with the next morning. He said he absolutely would and gave us his cell phone number. The next day when we saw her, the doctor said she had called and emailed Dr Grace four or five times but he hadn't gotten back to her. We haven't heard from him or seen him again. Dr. Grace's lack of crucial follow-up after such a radical procedure was shocking and devastating to my daughter. She had trusted him and put herself into his hands. We read all these glowing reviews and wonder how it can be the same man.I wrote about this experience in more detail on the Caring Bridge website.

June 2nd, 2011
You will never find another like Dr. Grace!!
My Fathers other Oncologists gave my Dad two months or less to live. We were introduced to Dr. Grace. He not only took total control of my Dad's well being, he sent my Fathers aggressive Cancer into remission. He is the most caring Doctor that I have ever met. If you are reading this, you should thank the lord above you stumbled onto him. My Dad so far is doing well, its been almost 2 years, and as Dr. Grace says "My lips to Gods ears" he will be around for a very long time. There is no finer Doctor, as you will soon find out. He's doing God's work on earth!

April 30th, 2011
An incredible doctor and an amazing human being
Dr. Grace has been my doctor for 25 years and I'm only alive today because of him. After four bouts of cancer, I have been cancer-free for over 10 years. He's the only doctor I know who can make you feel you're his only patient, regardless of how many patients are waiting to see him. He genuinely cares about curing every one who comes to him and there is no greater diagnostician. He is a very rare human being.

December 19th, 2010
The most wonderful and caring doctor in the world
Dr. Grace is a caring, compassionate, uplifting, cutting edge doctor. He believes in treating the whole person, not just get rid of the cancer. He gives you hope and helps you through the rough times of chemo. He does not give up and his success rate is very high.

October 27th, 2010
If you stumbled across Dr. Grace, consider yourself blessed. This is a Doctor who will not only work hard to cure you, his bedside manner is matched by no other. I have never met another Doctor like him. He loves what he does, and it shows!

July 23rd, 2010
Diana C. Sucich, Ph.D.
I want to add that his skills are outstanding and on the cutting edge in terms of resolving this illness. Dr. Sucich

July 23rd, 2010
Mrs. Barbara A. Berenger
I became a patient of Dr. Grace because I had breast cancer and because he was more progressive and innovative than the other oncologists I saw. He doesn't pigeonhole a patient due to their diagnosis. He relies on smart drugs and his vast experience. He made chemo as painless as possible and did all he could to relieve the numerous side effects. He's the best, in my book!