William Robert Stevens, MD
3133 East Camelback Road
Suite 245
Phoenix, AZ 85016
(602) 253-7000
Locations and availability (1)

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by michelle on Apr 17th, 2014

He is the most arrogant, rude, non-caring doctor I have ever seen! I have had 2 previous neck surgeries and the last one has failed 3 disc's collapsed.. I'm in a lot of pain!. he stated a revision wouldn't benefit me and did not offer med's, therapy or pain management he just wanted me out of his office.. also if you smoke or are previous smoker be prepared, he will treat you like you are a drug addict. TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!! I LEFT HIS OFFICE CRYING ;-(

|  Just what I needed/Lumbar Fusion  |  show details
by Olga De La Torre on Oct 9th, 2013

I researched my condition over and over as well as Dr. Reviews. I found this doctor on my own. I am a healthy 40 year old female that was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease ( multiple in the lumbar region). I had back pain for over 10 years, I did yoga, I exercised, I had the injections. In March 2013, I began to get tingling in my legs and eventually my right leg was loosing function, Not to mention the intense pressure pain in the lower back. I had one consult prior to Dr. Stevens. He was my second and my last, I knew I had found a doctor that recommended what I needed, not what I wanted to hear but what my body required for optimum results.I learned that everyone is different, I had surgery on 6-25-13, Anterior Posterior Multiple Spinal Fusion, I am 3 months post op and am a successful recovering patient. I would do it all over again, look no further!

|  Lower Back Surgery Results  |  show details
by Pat Palma on Oct 3rd, 2013

I had suffered with back issues for at least 7 years with the last 2 years almost unbearable due to continuous sciatica and also experienced severe nerve pain in both legs. I basically couldn't do anything...just walking, sitting and sleeping was a chore. Dr. Stevens performed a lumbar laminectomy/discectomy last October and I can say that I have my life back again and I am performing activities that I couldn't do for at least 2 years without pain. I would highly recommend Dr. Stevens for anyone how has any kind of spine disorder!! He takes the time to identify spine problems and communicates clearly. I am grateful that I chose Dr. Stevens for my back surgery!!!

|  Spinal fusion  |  show details
by Donna Amato on Sep 12th, 2013

I suffered 10 years with pain and injections. He's a true magician rough first few days (I don't remember) but feel great since.

|  2 Level Fusion-COULDN'T BE MORE PLEASED  |  show details
by David Chetkauskas on Aug 21st, 2013

As a 40 year old male, I was facing my 4th Laminectomy for a blown disk at L4/L5. It would have been my 2nd at that level and I expressed concerns about having to go through another Laminectomy when this one was fixed. I inquired about a fusion rather than a laminectomy and Dr. Stevens told me it would be "like having your mechanic change the engine when you brought your car in for an oil change". Fusions are very invasive and can be overkill. However, having had several issues in the lower spine in the past, Dr. Stevens told me he would order the hardware "just in case" and once he was operating make a game time decision as to whether or not to fuse. In recovery I asked my wife if it was bad enough to fuse and she said Dr. Stevens felt that the spine was unstable enough to fuse not only L4/L5, but also L5/S1. Initially, the procedure was done from the rear, a week later (scheduling conflicts on my part) the fusion was finished from the front. The 2nd surgery was on 2/14/13. Here I am on 8/21/13....and I couldn't be happier. I have gained my life back thanks to this man and his Hands from Heaven. I was diligent about my rehab and it was not easy at first. But small walks turned to longer walks and light lifting has now progressed to 35-40#. My 6 month follow up was today and I'm fusing well and healing remarkably well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dr. Stevens, his assistant Rebecca Rosemann, or his staff to ANYONE with back issues. In fact, I already have. The facility (OASIS hospital) was top notch and saw to it that not only I was comfortable, but everyone in my family as well, especially my wife. Dr. Stevens' judgement has proven to be spot on thus far and I couldn't be happier with the results. What a blessing it was to have found him.

|  Spine surgery  |  show details
by Frank Lentine on Aug 14th, 2013

From the first time I met Dr. Stevens I was at ease. I had a pinched nerve in my lower spine and later he found a pinched nerve in my neck. Four months prior to meeting Dr. Stevens I had gone to The Laser Spine Institute in Scottsdale. At the time I was unable to walk without a walker. I met with a doctor at the Arizona Pain Center. In the next 3 months I was very heavily medicated and had 3 epidural injections. There was no relief until I received the third injection. Finally, I went back to work with the use of the walker. I wanted to have surgery and heard about Dr. Stevens. I met with him with my recent MRI and x-rays. He ordered new and different MRI's, Cat Scan and x-rays. He told me to start exercising and stretching. To do what I could but do it. All the test came back and he said most doctors would operate. I felt a lot better with the exercising. I really cut back on the pain medicine. He checked me out and told me he is not operating but for me to keep exercising and come back in 4 weeks. I really feel good and I have been walking, riding a bike, swimming, even ATV riding up on the rim. Other doctors would have probably operated. For me, at 63 years old Dr. Stevens was a diamond in the rough. I can't thank him enough for his accurate diagnosis, listening to me, being straight forward and honest. Thank you for giving me my life back.

|  Surgical experience  |  show details
by John J. Mitchell on Jun 21st, 2013

I was experiencing severe leg pain and weakness, my MRI showed a herniated disc. I was given an appointment right away and saw Rebecca Rosemann, she was very courteous and detailed with her explanation of the surgery. Dr. Stevens also came into the room and went over the surgery with me as well, he made sure that all my questions were addressed and that I fully understood my options and the surgery he was offering. The staff at his office are all very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. After my surgery, my leg pain is now completely gone. Dr. Stevens is a true professional and a great surgeon. I would highly recommend him to all my family and friends.

|  President/CEO AZ ON SITE CAFES LLC  |  show details
by Michael Bielicki, FMP on Jun 3rd, 2013

For the past 10 years I have suffered with great back pain and sciatica right nerve pain from an old injury incurred while I was in Vietnam in the Army. After 10 years, 12 epidurals and many, many narcotic drugs my pain doctor referred me to Dr. William Stevens this past April 2013. Today is June 03/2013 and I am happy to tell all that my pain is completely gone thanks to Dr. William Stevens who performed surgery on my back on April 16-2013. Within two days after surgery I was able to discontinue my pain pills and walking a half mile. Within two weeks I was able to walk a mile per day. I am now up to 2.5 miles per day. Dr. William Stevens is a somewhat quiet doctor who was very understanding and very honest in his discussion of my surgery needs. If there is an angel in my life I think I may have met him. I cannot thank Dr. Stevens enough for giving me back a full useful life at 62 years of age!!! God Bless Dr. Stevens for his dedication to making people with debilitating pain feel better. I highly recommend Dr. William Stevens!!!!!!!!! Thank You So Much!

by Maryalice Witzel on May 9th, 2013

The entire Staff and Dr. Stevens were courteous, kind, prompt and answered all of my questions. Dr. Stevens and his Staff were very assuring, gave time for questions and helpful in coordinating my care. I have recommeded Dr. Stevens to many of my colleagues at my work.

|  I would recommend this Doctor to my family and best friends.  |  show details
by Doug Henry on May 6th, 2013

I have been a patient of Dr. Stevens for 3 years. I would say that finding him was the best thing that has ever happened to me from a personal health perspective. I have suffered from complicated disk degeneration, Scoliosis, Spondylosis, and Stenosis with worsening conditions for 20 years. My neck and spine were a complete mess and I was miserable and disabled. My first surgery (2010) was a difficult and risk-related fusion of 6 Cervical vertebra. My second surgery (2012) was a more routine (in his case) fusion of 3 Lumbar vertebra. Both surgeries were very successful and uncomplicated. In both cases, Dr. Stevens provided a realistic assessment of the risk and rewards. My recovery has been nothing short of a miracle, and exceeded the potential gains proposed by Dr. Stevens. I have since returned to a normal lifestyle, work out at a fitness center regularly with strength and flexibility increasing every month, and can manage my pain with a minimal amount of medication. Dr. Stevens takes his practice seriously, treats myself and my wife with respect and dignity, and is a model for other doctors. If you need or are considering spinal surgeries, you would be wise to consider this doctor because of his knowledge and surgical skills. Dr. Stevens now operates out of OASIS hospital, which is a specialized orthopedic hospital. OASIS is a top-notch facility, far better in every way than other Phoenix-area hospitals.

|  Just amazing!!!  |  show details
by Eric J on Mar 6th, 2013

I thought this is my last hope. There was a cancelation I wasn't due in till 2/13/13 it was 2/6 thank god someone canceled so I could take there place. I knew I needed surgery when the epideralls didn't work. Dr. Stevens & his assistant preformed emergency surgery that same day only problem was what Dr Stevens seen on MRI's was different then what he'd seen (me) in front of him I had worsened past pain controllable with conventional meds. I'll I can say is Dr. Stevens his partner and staff are fabulous I would recommend them time and time again. You where caring from the time I first meet your staff in 2002 and returned 2013 just amazing and thank you again. From myself & family. Your the best, Eric M. Johnston

by Diana Walton on Jan 28th, 2013

I had spinal surgery on December 20th and I am doing extremely well for 5 weeks after surgery, thanks to Dr. Stevens. He is a great surgeon and his PA Rebecca is very nice and easy to speak with as well. His office is always clean and his staff is friendly and knowledgeable. I would recommend Dr. Stevens to anyone looking at having spinal surgery.

|  Excellent Surgeon  |  show details
by Debby B. on Jan 24th, 2013

I met with numerous surgeons and delayed lumbar spinal fusion surgery for 2 years because of concern about potentially poor outcomes, but when I met Dr Stevens, I knew I had found a surgeon I could trust. The outcome was exactly as he had predicted. I recovered quickly without any problems, and a year later, am doing great!

|  Best Surgeon for spinal surgery  |  show details
by Diana Taggart on Jan 23rd, 2013

If you have to have spinal surgery this is the doctor to have. Hospital experience was the best, doctor was the best, his staff and everyone at the hospital (Oasis) were the best!

|  Great success  |  show details
by Viviane P on Jan 17th, 2013

When I realized that I would need spinal surgery ... well, I was nervous. But now that the surgery is done and I am back on my feet, I know that I chose the right surgeon. My back, hip and leg feel great. It is important to me to make informed decisions when it comes to my health. Dr. Stevens helped me do that without condescention and without exagerating the expected outcome. He gave me the facts in a way that made sense. I am glad I chose to have a surgery which has made me much happier and that I chose Dr. Stevens. I alkso want to mention that his office staff is friendly and helpful.

|  Giving me my life back  |  show details
Nov 24th, 2012

Dr Stevens is amazing. I'm 32 and I have a spinal deformity that has caused me a lot of pain and 5 surgeries to correct the structural deformities to regain function. Dr Stevens has been my orthopedic doctor for 13 years. His bedside manner is sincere, caring and real. He takes the time to listen but is also realistic about the outcome. He was always there for any post surgical issues. I would definitely recommend him to anyone that has back pain and wants a HONEST evaluation.

|  BEST SURGEON IN ARIZONA  |  show details
Aug 6th, 2012

I HAD A VERY COMPLICATED, HIGH RISK SITUATION SINCE I HAD A TUMOR ON MY SPINAL CORD. THE FIRST DOCTOR THAT WAS RECOMMENDED TO ME AS ONE OF THE BEST, MOST HIGHLY REGARDED SURGEONS IN AZ REVIEWED MY CASE AND THOUGHT IT WAS TOO RISKY AND WOULDNT EVEN SEE ME. DR STEVENS NOT ONLY WENT IN AND DID MY SURGERY, BUT SAVED MY LIFE. I WOULD HAVE BEEN PARALYZED AND HE WENT IN AND TOOK AS MUCH AS MY TUMOR OUT ON MY CORD AS HE COULD AND I CAN STILL WALK!!!! SOME OF THESE REVIEWS SAY DR STEVENS IS ARROGANT, BUT HE IS CONFIDENT. HE IS AN EXCELLENT SURGEON WHO I HAVE 100% TRUST IN. MY SURGERY WAS VERY RISKY AND HE WAS THE ONE WHO MADE THE DECISION AND HAD THE COURAGE TO GO IN AND DECIDED TO TAKE IT OUT. HE IS STRAIGHT AND TO THE POINT AND HE DOES CARE FOR HIS PATIENTS. I WANNA GO IN TO A DRS OFFICE AND GET DOWN TO BUSINESS, WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN, HOW YOURE GOIN TO DO IT, WHEN WE ARE GOING TO DO IT, ETC. I DONT NEED TO CHIT CHAT ABOUT NONSENSE. I DONT GET WHAT ELSE PEOPLE WANT? I WOULD WITHOUT A DOUBT HIGHLY RECOMMEND DR STEVENS TO ANYONE! HE IS THE BEST SURGEON IN AZ! AND, HIS OFFICE STAFF IS AMAZING AS WELL!

|  Dr Stevens is great!  |  show details
Jun 30th, 2012

Dr Stevens, his assistant, and his staff are great in every respect! The operation to fix my scoliosis was successful, and done in a hospital, OASIS, which is a specialized orthopedic hospital. We had to travel from Tucson to see him on the recommendation of an orthopedic surgeon in Tucson. We do not hesitate to recommend him to anyone with any orthopedic problem.

|  Don Boop  |  show details
Jun 25th, 2012

Dr. Stevens was very professional however he actually cares about my opinion and health. He explained the operation an what to expect. I have recomended him to friends and co-workers and will continue to do so. I am happy that the pain in my left side has gone away since the surery.

Jun 15th, 2012

Technically skilled. Right to the point. Uses Oasis Hospital which is strictly ortho, limiting staph issues.

|  THE GIFT FROM A HIGHER POWER  |  show details
May 31st, 2012

Dr William Stevens gave a complete and accurate diagnoses of my back situation. I told him that I wanted my life back from pain, and lack of movement. He did not sugarcoat my situation and informed me he would do his best to help me regain at least 60-75% of my original lifestyle, with surgery, and he delivered. He maybe a gift from heaven!

|  Best neurosurgeon I've ever met with.  |  show details
May 12th, 2012

Dr William Stevens is one of the best neurosurgeons I've ever met and choosing him for surgery was the best thing to do for my spinal problem.I highly recommend him. Other surgeons said to wait until I couldn't walk anymore. I now have a chance for a normal life because of his skill and expertise.

|  Thanks for helping me walk again  |  show details
Mar 9th, 2012

Went to several doctors for opinions on my back problem. Dr. Stevens was in no rush to do surgery but when I could no longer walk and wound up in the hospital because of servere pain, he said now is the time. Was released from hospital next morning and the pain was gone. I had no problems walking. No problems ever since the surgery in 2009. Just want to thanks him for a good well done.

|  A Compassionate, Helpful Surgeon  |  show details
Feb 9th, 2012

Dr. Stevens is the epitome of caring doctors. He takes the time to listen to your concerns and to explain your diagnosis. If you have questions after your appointment, you can always call and he will have someone get back to you with an answer. His bedside manner truly sets him apart from other surgeons. He truly does want to help every one of his patients. The waiting time in the office is long, but it's reasonable considering everything that he does. He's reviewing tests, x-rays, and files in order to determine the best treatment. He comes into your appointment well-informed. Most doctors ask you the same questions that you just answered on paperwork in the waiting room. As a surgeon, he is exceptional. He will answer all of your questions and inform you of everything you need to know. His office staff that schedules surgeries are very helpful. They take care of everything. They also make an effort to choose assistants that accept your insurance. If you have any concerns or questions after your surgery, you can always call and ask them for help. Dr. Stevens is by far one of the most empathetic, sincere doctors I've encountered. His dedication to helping patients is evident in his calm demeanor. Additionally, he shows his sincerity through voluntary surgeries on children with spinal disorders. Dr. Stevens cares about the whole patient, mind, body, and spirit, and makes sure that each patient receives the best care possible.

|  An Amazing Gift  |  show details
Jan 13th, 2012

I have had five (5) spinal surgeries over the years. The last two (2) were done in Phoenix, by Dr. William Stevens. In my experience as a patient I have never had a surgeon like Dr. Stevens. What an amazing man and an even more amazing Doctor. He diagnosed my problem, planned out a procedure, and literally gave me a new life, with his expertise. I have lived in severe pain for over 25 years, and after my surgeries by Dr. Stevens, my pain seems to be all but gone. I am still healing up from the surgeries themselves, but after many years in pain, I can tell the difference. Most all the pain I have now, will soon go away, as I heal. My long term pain, I believe will soon be gone, for the most part. Dr. Stevens, thank you for your God given ability, and your amazing compassion.

|  Dr. Stevens gave me my life back!!  |  show details
Aug 30th, 2011

Three years ago I could only stand for 5 minutes and was unable to walk more than a few feet without having to sit down. This was a terrible situation -- I had both skied and played golf competitively for years.I tried everything: chiropractic medicine, a summer of physical therapy, 6 weeks of spinal epidural shots. I then started seeing a variety of spine experts for their opinions and chose Dr. Stevens for the surgery I obviously needed. I had adult degenerative scoliosis with a 45 degree curve. After 5 hours of surgery, I had two long rods on either side of my spine, 16 screws to help 8 vertebrae fuse, and a bolt in my pelvis. That was 11 months ago, and I just returned from a 2 week trip to Russia where I walked miles morning and afternoon -- mostly pain free!I have my life back thanks to Dr. Stevens. I can't say how grateful I am to him -- now I'm a young 70 year old!

|  Dr. "Gifted"  |  show details
by Greatful Patient on Mar 24th, 2011

Dr. Stevens was accurate with his diagnosis and prompt in arranging my surgery. The surgery was extensive but my back issues were relieved. My pain management was was in place and my recovery went well without much real pain. I thought Dr. Stevens was very approachable , confident and friendly. He changed my life for the best. If you look at my xrays you can see the pride in his work....all the rods, pins and screws were precious! A piece of art. Finally...I have to say I went to eight doctors in Michigan, Indiana and Illinois and all of them felt either I had no issues or surgery would not benefit me.

|  Dr. glanced at file and snorted....  |  show details
Mar 23rd, 2011

Dr.Stevens glanced at file and snorted.Then with a flick of his wrist he flipped it onto the desk.Made a blowing sound with his lips then finaly truned to greet me."I can tell you smoke." he stated by way of a greeting.I am not a person to take this kind treatment from a 'professional' "In fact Dr. for I take it you are the Dr. and not the janitor, I do not smoke. My friend Diane who gave me a ride today does." Well, the rest of the appointment went straight down hill fron there. It seem that at 6'1'' and 200 lbs I am too heavy for him to opperaton ....HMMMMM...if I here a MALE and 6'1'' and 200 lbs I wonder.......thats right, I am a FEMALE. It is my opinion that this Dr. is an $&%&&@&#*$&#&$&!*@(@#&%&@(@(&*@&#(@(#&!!!!!

|  patient  |  show details
Mar 13th, 2011

i would highly recomend this surgeon to any and all! he is a very talented sugeon and i feel he has saved me from future problems and the extreme pain i was in!!

|  9 Years later  |  show details
Dec 31st, 2010

I am shocked and saddened to read anything negative about Dr. Stevens. He did a 12-level corrective spinal fusion on me 9 years ago...I have virtually traveled the world and continued working since. When I thought I might have to have another surgery in the past year, he advised me with no emotion. I appreciated that...I have enough emotion and needed his caring and expertise. He also supported me in wanting to wait and see and I am glad I did...I still have only had that one huge surgery 9 years ago. Dr. Stevens was amazing...not only was he the BEST, he took care of me all the way through my hospitalization, making sure that I got everything I needed. If you need the best, he is it....hands down....

|  Cancelled Vacation  |  show details
Aug 5th, 2010

Dr. Stevens took care of a serious emergency neck problem I have several years ago. What I did no know at the time was that he cancelled a vacation with less than 2 days notice to take care of me. I did not know that until much later when a friend/caregiver told me that she heard his staff talking about it. He never mentioned it to me. I am so grateful!

|  POOR BEDSIDE MANNER  |  show details
Jul 18th, 2010

ALL HE DID MOST OF MY VISIT WAS TYPE ON HIS COMPUTER AND THEN HAND ME A PRINT OUT WITH VERY LITTLE EXPLANATION. WEEKS LATER I FOUND OUT THAT HE CHARGED THE INSURANCE FOR "TOBACCO COUNSELLING". AT THE TIME HE SAID I SHOULD NOT SMOKE AND I SAID I KNOW BUT WILL NOT STOP. THAT TOOK ABOUT TWENTY SECONDS AND HE CHARGED THE INSURANCE FOR ABOUT TWENTY MINUTES. WHEN I CALLED THE OFFICE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE BOGUS CHARGE, HE CALL ME BACK AND THREATENED ME. PLEASE CHECK HIS INSURANCE CLAIMS. WILL NEVER GO BACK TO THIS GUY.

Doctor's Response

I am sorry that this patient was unwilling to consider the very real benefits of quitting tobacco, and undertand the very real increased risks of surgery if the nature that he required in smokers. I am saddened to see so many patients with post-operative complications that result directly from smoking after spinal surgery. I did call him back - to explain that I DID complete smoking counseling when he threatened to report me to Medicare for billing his office visit, but he was unfortunately too angry and perhaps in too much pain to have a conversation.

by Dawn Callahan on Jul 12th, 2010

Dr Stevens is an excellent surgeon, whom I feel completely confident. I am most impressed with his knowledge and candor of identifying my existing problem and approaching it in the most conservative way possible. He and his staff provide detailed information and are always willing to go above and beyond for my care.

Jun 15th, 2010

Poor bedside manner. Made me feel as though I was wasting his time.

Doctor's Response

I am sorry that this was this patients experience, and wish that this complaint contained enough information for me to understand better why I gave this impression. NO PATIENT is a waste of my time, but I am - like all people - sometimes stressed or distracted.

|  Dr.William Stevens  |  show details
May 11th, 2010

pompous,unfriendly,discriminating, self righteous ,judgmental

|  Great Surgeon and human being.  |  show details
by Kelly Roskosh on Aug 21st, 2009

I have been a patient of Dr. Stevens since 5/01. He did a very complex surgery on my back for adult scoliosis and degenerative disc disease. Dr. Stevens has always spent as much time as I needed to make sure all my questions were answered and concerns addressed. He is not only a gifted surgeon but a kind, compassionate and caring man. He is truly one in a million!