Surgical Specialist, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

Some ratings provided by DrScore. Doctor.com.
Apr 10th, 2014

Our family member had an emergency situation and Dr. Ballard fitted her into his schedule right away. We saw immediately that he was a kind, compassionate physician who really did care about his patients. We've known several people who have used him and all had wonderful things to say about him, so we knew we were in good hands. He was wonderful during the surgery, prayed with us at her bedside and was just very uplifting to be around. I would recommend him enthusiastically to anyone needing help. Thank you Dr. Ballard !!!!

|  Excellent surgeon  |  show details
Jan 25th, 2014

I can not say enough good things about this doctor, he is an excellent, caring surgeon who did a great job on my bilateral knee replacement. On the day of surgery, I was already prepped in pre-surgery and scheduled next when the anesthesiologist said he would not put me to sleep because of a false report from a cardiologist that I had refused permission to do a chemical stress test the day before. Dr Ballard came to the room and explained that nothing could be done because of liability issues arising from this false report. Rather than walking away and being uncaring at this point, although he was extremely busy, Dr Ballard went out of his way, taking time to talk to hospital staff and other doctors to have a stress test done that morning at the hospital and assuring us he would stay as long as it takes to complete the knee surgery that day. To echo another reviewer, "if this man is not the best knee surgeon in the world, I feel he is certainly the best in the United States." He is in high demand and it may take a while to get an appointment with him. but I am a walking testimony that it is worth the wait for the best.

|  Highly Pleased  |  show details
Dec 15th, 2013

Dr Ballard performed a double knee replacement surgery on me and I can not say enough good things about this doctor and his staff. They are busy but extremely good at what they do. If you are in need of knee replacement, my advice is to get to his office as fast as you can.

by cheryl moore on Oct 10th, 2013

Dr ballard found my trouble or bad hip about 12 years ago and i am so glad and happy. I went to one dr and he just didn't do a thing and talk to me for 10 seconds then charged me and my insurance. almost gave up on doctors and healthcare, but i got in to see dr ballard and he was caring and concern and fixed my problems..i have had many things done to me but of all of them, i would choosed to do the hip procedure over.. The pain finally went away and haven't had a problem yet. thank you

|  Highly recommend  |  show details
by Vicki W on May 16th, 2013

Dr Ballard came highly recommended to me from my sister who is a physical therapist and had worked with his patients post op and said how well they all had done! From my first initial visit I was totally at ease with him and felt I was in the best of hands. Before my surgery Dr Ballard asked if he could pray for me which meant the world to me and helped my nervousness! My surgery couldn't have gone more smoothly and within 6 weeks was totally pain free and now 3 months post op can't tell I recently had a total knee replacement! After many years of living with excruciating pain daily I only wished I had contacted him sooner! I would HIGHLY recommend Dr Ballard and would pick him again in the future if needed!

by Patricia T on May 2nd, 2013

Dr. Ballard is very skilled and professional. He makes you feel like he cares about your problem and explains what he can do to help you. Then he fixes the problem.

|  no way  |  show details
Oct 5th, 2012

we have major problems with this doctor. he NEVER has spnt enough time...always rushing around...he always apologizes when u call him out on a mistake..he does SO many surgeries, he doesnt care about the individual.. DONT TRUST THIS MAN! we are on our third surgery to fix his mistake..

Aug 16th, 2012

Dr. Ballard is a great doctor and he cares for his patients.In my opinion he is the best orthopedic surgeon in Chattanooga, Tn. He makes you feel comfortable when you visit his office. However, I don't like his PA ( P.A Bowman) he shows lack respect to Dr. Ballard Patients. He appears to be bias.I don't like Dr. Ballard's secretary because she's very rude and disrespectful.I love Nurse Peggy she is a sweet lady.

|  Excellent Compassionate Doctor  |  show details
Jul 25th, 2012

Dr. Ballard is a very rare kind of Dr. He prays with each patient with their permission. This is so important to our family and we have the highest respect for him.

|  K. Neill  |  show details
by Anonymous on Jul 17th, 2012 on doctorsdig.com

WONDERFUL doctor...very nice to patients and caring..KNOWS what he is doing

Read Full Review at doctorsdig.com
May 9th, 2011

I use to agree with most that Dr Ballard was a great, caring doctor. I think he has gotten too big & too busy. My knees were replaced in 2005. In 2009 I started having pain in both. He said the bursa was inflamed in both and gave me shots. I started having problems in both again. Lots of pain and difficulty walking. I waited for 2 months for an appt (would have been 3 but I called every day for cancellations). When I got there the receptionist said he was running behind an hour but he was catching up fast. I waited for 2 hours. It took me 2 months waiting for the appt, 1 hr drive to get there, 2 hours waiting for him and he gives me 8 minutes of his time. The nurse had already x-rayed me. He didn't even give me time to tell him what was going on or examine me. He looked at the x-ray and said it looked fine and told me to wear braces when I was active. I even told him about the shots 2 years ago but he didn't even offer to give them to me. He made me feel he did not have time for me. Needless to say I will never go back to him or recommend him to anyone. I was so disappointed in him. I have since found another doctor that had a bone scan done. To make a longer story short, I have to have both of my knees replaced. They are loose, they have lifted on one side of both knees, and my knee cap on one knee is crooked. The 'stem' that goes into the bottom bone is crooked in both knees. I would like to tell Dr Ballard not to rush with surgery just so he can keep up with his schedule. That's putting it nicely. Thanks for letting me vent.

|  One of a kind!  |  show details
Dec 2nd, 2010

Truly the best there is! His daughter was a good friend of mine for a long time and when I got a serious soccer injury I knew he was the only one for me. He treated me like his own and even prayed with me before surgery. I read previous reviews and all are true except the negative woman who only worries about her wallet. dr. ballard is the man.

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
Oct 4th, 2010

Dr. Ballard operated on my left hip August 17, 2010. I am a 52 year old female. I am doing great. Today is Oct. 4, 2010.Wonderful docotor. He will be doing my right hip May 26, 2011.Karen Jackson

|  Excellent doctor  |  show details
by Sue Thompson on Aug 16th, 2010

Excellent doctor and wonderful man! Yes, sometimes it takes a while to get an appointment. He is good so he is busy. Beware the doctor when you can walk right in off the street and get an appointment! If your knees hurt, Dr. Ballard can fix them! Do exactly what he says and you will be as good as new.

|  Too busy pushing patients through  |  show details
Feb 26th, 2010

He did a total knee replacement for my mother (age 72) and discharged her from the hospital after only 2 nights. Medicare requires a 3 night stay to get inpatient rehab, which she needed desperately. They transferred her to an inpatient facility (which was not covered by Medicare because of the 2 night stay), so we now have a huge bill from that, and that facility did not provide appropriate PT because it wasn't covered by Medicare (again because of the 2 night stay in the hospital). Since then she has only had home PT about 5 times over 2-1/2 weeks. Followup visit was useless. He did not check range of motion, pain level, etc. All he did was look at x-rays and discharged her to follow up as needed.

|  most caring doctor  |  show details
by Kaylene Lee on Aug 20th, 2009

Dr Ballard is the most caring compassionate doctor I have ever been to.His love of his job and his skill show thru with all his work. i would recomment him to anyone that needs to see an ortho doctor.

Apr 28th, 2009

Dr. Ballard is quite possibly the most talented, compassionate, caring doctor that has ever treated me. He did both of my total knee replacements with excellent recoveries. I would REFUSE to go to anyone else in the Chattanooga area. Dr. Ballard is the absolute best!