Surgical Specialist
Video profile

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  One Amazing Doctor!  |  show details
by Mary Ellen W. on Sep 25th, 2014

Dr. Tobler is definitely worth waiting for! It takes a while to get in initially because he's so busy. And he's so busy because he's so good! He was very patient with me; monitored me every two months for over a year until I was ready for surgery and the MRI results indicated there was really no other option. I had stopped my walking and found it difficult to stand for more than a few minutes. Today, two weeks after surgery, I have no difficulty in either walking or standing. And I can drive. His hope is that, by six weeks after surgery, I should be able to walk three miles a day! This afternoon, the Occupational Therapist said that I was "(Literally) the only patient who has ever met every single one of her goals". Professionals who have looked at the incision have been amazed at how perfect it looks. This morning, when I went in for my two-week check up, I asked If I could give him a hug. He has given me the opportunity to resume an active lifestyle. Sometimes the wait in the waiting room is long, but then you realize that's because he gives the same undivided, caring attention to every patient he sees. I would (and already have) recommend him to anyone who asks. Thank you, Dr. Tobler!

|  I Can't Say THANK YOU Enough  |  show details
by Lisa Thamann on Aug 22nd, 2014

I haven't felt this good in 25 years. I was told to see a neurosurgeon if I was going to have back surgery. I have been putting it off for many years. I had an XLIF done May 21, 2014. 3 months later my sciatica and leg pain is gone. I am able to walk and exercise without pain. I feel great. Thank you Dr Tobler and staff for caring about me and helping me feel better.

|  Spinal Fusion of L4-L5 and L5-S1 Outpatient--EXCELLENT  |  show details
by Ellen G. on Jun 13th, 2014

For years and years I was in excruciating pain when I was lying flat. To rise out of bed, or lay flat on my yoga mat brought such intense pain I would almost pass out. As time progressed my left leg became completely numb and I would often trip. I am a teacher so I attributed my pain to stress. I finally had enough and went to a neurologist. After an MRI it was discovered I had very little or no cartilage between my L4, L5, and S1 vertebra, hence spondylolisthesis. A year before the spondylolisthesis discovery, I had an umbilical hernia repair with mesh. It was a severely painful surgery, fierce pain for 4 days, a 6 week recovery time. This was a big factor because, upon consulting with several back surgeons, these surgeons wanted to make an incision through my abdominal wall, remove my organs, repair and add hardware to my vertebra through the front, flip me over, make an incision through my back and add hardware. NO WAY!!!! I just accepted this as something I would live with. I thought with exercise I could strengthen my core to get through life and manage the pain with aleve. A lifelong friend and distinguished attorney, experienced the same diagnosis including umbilical hernia repair with mesh, spondylolisthesis L4-L5. He conducted meticulous research to obtain the best care and results for transforminal lumbar inter body fusion. This included highest success rate, neurologist rating, infection percentages of site facility and patient approval ratings, among other factors. This is where a miracle on earth happened. I was introduced to The Mayfield Clinic and Dr. William Tobler in Cincinnati, Ohio. Dr. Tobler changed my life. He performed minimally invasive spinal surgery. He performed transforminal lumbar inter body fusion of L4/L5 and L5/S1 as outpatient surgery. The surgery took place on March 3rd, 2014 at 4:00 p.m. As outpatient surgery. Surgery was successfully completed at 7:00 p.m. I was up walking laps around the surgery center by 9:00 p.m. I continued to get up and walk around every 3-4 hours or so all night. I left the Mayfield Clinic outpatient facility at 11:00 a.m. March 4th. The third day post op I walked a half mile, followed by first week -1 mile, 2nd week -2 miles... By 4 weeks I was walking four miles pain free. PAIN free from the minute I woke up from surgery. During my recovery I had some muscle tightness in my back, more of an ache when I was over active. I did take pain medication and muscle relaxants for 7 weeks decreasing the dosage over time. I was able to return to my job being completely active and engaged, as a teacher of exceptional needs students after 7 weeks. My job requires being on my feet, up and down stairs several times a day and traveling to various classrooms throughout the day. Of course, I did not lift more than 10 lbs., twist or bend on doctors orders. This was a difficult requirement and I tried my best to comply. My recommendation is simple and from the heart. Visit Dr. William Tobler at the Mayfield Clinic for a consultation. You may have to wait for a time before seeing Dr.Tobler but understand this....and it is a BIG and IMPORTANT reason you will wait... Dr. Tobler will let you talk and LISTEN to you. He will review your records and discuss in DETAIl your options. He will answer any and ALL questions and review your procedure in detail. This takes time. Dr. Tobler serves you, to listen, explain and heal!!! THANK YOU from my heart for my active, pain free life. Ellen

|  show details
May 23rd, 2014

Dr Tobler successfully achieves excellent surgical results with even extremely difficult cases. His surgical skill is matched by his kindness and compassion. I would recommend him without hesitation.

|  Dr. Tobler gave me my life back - twice  |  show details
by William B. on May 14th, 2014

I had a childhood fall that resulted in scoliosis from an uneven L5 compression fracture. In '96 Dr Tobler did an L4-5 discectomy / laminectomy that kept me active until '11, when the disc degeneration was bad enough that the vertabrae would displace when I was standing or walking for more than 2 minutes - resulting in immobilizing leg pain. I went back and Dr. Tobler was very thorough, doing all the diagnostics necessary and prescribed an L2-5 fusion. The surgery was long but successful, and I'm now healing. My minor topical numbness from the surgery is residing, but my legs are very strong and fully functional and my back does not hurt. I have been walking up to 6 miles a day and I try to be thankful for every pain free step that this Dr has given me. I should say I don't mind waiting to see him, because he's very likely being thorough and helping someone else get their life back. He's well known as a top flight surgeon in this region and consults frequently. I'll feel very lucky that he worked with me.

|  Exempary neurosurgeon  |  show details
by Stan F on May 7th, 2014

Bill Tobler is part of the Mayfield Clinic group at Christ Hospital. He personally was very patient friendly and professional, taking as much time as needed to understand symptons and give a diagnosis. I was very reticent to have spinal surgery; had heard too many horror stories. Dr Tobler and his PA, Jody, carefully explained the diagnosis, possible treatment plans and risks. I chose the laminectomy surgery, with an overnight stay. The pain and trembling were gone immediately after surgery, I could walk and stand normally, and now after six weeks am fully recovered. Terrific team at Mayfield, and Dr. Tobler in particular.

|  Great results  |  show details
by Kathy Wilson on Apr 8th, 2014

I'm definitely glad I chose Dr. Tobler to do my surgery. I had a fusion of L4-L5 at the outpatient spine surgery center six weeks ago. I was home recovering in my own bed by late afternoon on the day of surgery. I only required one week off from work. While I still have some tightness which is mostly from reduced activity, I've experienced relief from the pain and symptoms that prompted me to have the surgery. I'm ready and able to resume my normal activities and workouts. Because Dr. Tobler takes enough time with each patient to fully address your needs, you can expect to spend a fair amount of time in the waiting room for office visits, but it's worth it. Just bring a book! I would highly recommend him to anyone with back problems that need to be addressed. In fact, my sister is already scheduled for an appointment. The staff at Mayfield is friendly, caring and attentive, also.

|  Outstanding Surgeon  |  show details
by John B on Feb 17th, 2014

I’m 52 years old and I had L4-L5 disc problems for 25 years. In August of 2012, the disc severally rupture, which required emergency surgery on a Sat. night Sun. morning. Fortunately for me, Dr William Tobler was the oncall surgeon at Cincinnati Medical Center. Surgery was Sunday morning and I was home Sunday evening. Dr Tobler and Cincinnati Medical Center did an outstanding job, that Monday my back felt great, the best in years. Dr Tobler said my rupture was so severe that he could not repair it completely and that it would probably rupture again in the next 6 months to a year. He was right, it ruptured 6 months later. In March of 2013 Dr Tobler fused, L4-L5, L5-S1, put in 2 titanium rods and 6 titanium bolts. The next couple of months were not easy but after therapy with Karen Scholl, LPT and going to the gym, I felt great, no pain and no restrictions. I’m back to backpacking and will be back on the ski slopes next winter. The last six months have been amazing, I’m 99% pain free and it owe all to, Dr William Tobler of the Mayfield Clinic, Karen Scholl LPT, Center for Physical Therapy and working out at the gym. Thank you Dr Tobler, Mayfield Clinic, Karen Scholl and Cincinnati Medical Center, for giving my life back, you all do amazing work.

|  Excellent Outcome  |  show details
by Cathy H on Oct 2nd, 2013

I am so glad I got my life back! I was miserable and in pain all day.I tried every option for about 1 year with little relief.I am a surgical assistant and was afraid my career was over.Dr.Tobler was not only able to correct my spine defect with a double fusion,I am back to work full time,and no pain! THANK YOU :)

|  spine surgery  |  show details
by joe T on Apr 26th, 2013

He has amazing skills and is able to take care of problems that other doctors refused. I understand that he has innovated some minimally invasive procedures. I was told by an orthopedic spine surgeon that I was too fat for a spinal fusion. Dr Tobler effortlessly repaired the problem, and restored my life with minimally invasive surgery

|  Worst experience of my life.  |  show details
Sep 25th, 2012

The staff is painfully uncaring and rude. They never followed up to see how I was after a major back surgery. It took a month to get my MRI. The surgeon was so bad and you have to go through about 4 people to get to him. He didn't have much compassion. He considers a 1% improvement a success. Concidering I'm unable to walk 12 weeks later I'd say it was a failure. The office staff is a nightmare. When you call with a problem it is rarely returned and when it is you almost wish you hadn't because you don't even get treated like a human being. You are herded through like cattle. I was never given any plans or direction for the future. I'm 100x worse after my surgery and they don't care. I have to have another surgery to correct the mistakes made and you can bet it will not be at Mayfield

|  NOT one of the best in Cincinnati  |  show details
Oct 7th, 2011

Horrible bedside manner;doesn't really care about his patients,especially if you have a complication after surgery.He runs a surgical "factory" and negligently couldn't tell me the truth about what had really happened after fusion surgery (My wound internally dehissed).I am now going to Cleveland Clinic where Doctors really care about the mess he left me in.

|  Review for Dr. Tobler  |  show details
by Charlene Manuel on Apr 22nd, 2011

Dr. Tobler listens and does not force the patient to make rash decisions. In fact for more serious surgeries, he suggests you go home and tihink about it. He does not suggest unnecessary surgeries and gives you choices. Although I had complications, I do not regret for one moment using him as my neurologist. I have had two surgeries with Dr. Tobler and as far as i am concerned, he is my neurologist as long as I need one.

|  MY back problems  |  show details
by William (Bill) Asbury on Jul 17th, 2010

I have dealt with back problems for several years, had two surgery's before 1999. At that time I was suffering a great deal. Num feet and leg pain all the time.Around 2000 I met Dr. Tobler and had no ideal how lucky I was. Dr Tobler did fusion on my back in 2000 and it changed my life. Dr.Tobler is a wonderful doctor and neurosurgeon! A Good Man! I will always be grateful to Dr Tobler and Dr. Berger who assisted Dr. Tobler. I would recomend Dr. Tobler to anyone if getting there health back is what they are looking for!!!!

|  paralyzed  |  show details
Dec 10th, 2008

I don't know why God did this to you, was all he said when after walking into surgery, I came out paralyzed.

|  saved me from paralysis  |  show details
by frank on Aug 25th, 2008

he was great ,operated on a saturday to save the nerve that controlled my foot and leg, came in to see me on sunday, and the surgery was a success he operated on three vertabrae i am not perfect, but doing well and in the recovery process