Neurological Surgeon
106 Highland Way
Ste 204
Madison, MS 39110
601-373-4170
Locations and availability (2)

3.0

|  Mrs. Bailey  |  show details
by June Bailey on May 23rd, 2014

Again, Dr. Capel was very informative about my condition, explains things in detail and makes sure you understand how to take your med's etc. Dr. Capel is such a nice person along with being extremely qualified if his field of medicine.

|  Great Service  |  show details
by Erma Hawkins on Feb 3rd, 2014

Today was my first visit to Dr. Capel, he and his staff are the best. Everyone was professional and friendly. Dr. Capel spent a great amount of time with me and my daughter explaining why I was having a great deal of back pain. His staff, Chase, Julie and Shannon are the best. During my time at the office I felt as I was the only patient they was caring for because all the focus and time that was put into my visit. Thanks for the great service I received today.

|  AWESOME!!!  |  show details
by Irene Esco on Feb 3rd, 2014

There are no words that I can say that would truly express the way I feel about Dr. Capel and his wonderful Staff. From my initial visit to my follow ups, the staff has greeted me with genuine care and concern for my situation. Dr. Capel has gone out of his way to keep me and my husband informed of everything he was doing, from my pre-op to my post-op. God has truly blessed him. I thank God for him and his staff and I would recommend him to anyone that is needing and AWESOME, surgeon. Much Thanks to All of You.

|  very kind and caring  |  show details
by scott williams on May 13th, 2013

ive only seen dr. capel one time but it was a very good visit. ive seen 3 other neurosurgeons in the past 4 years and none of them could figure what my issues were. one misdiagnosed me and tried to perform a risky and completely irrelevant surgery. I had about a 30-45 minute wait in the waiting room but compared to other specialist doctors ive seen that is lightning speed. the receptionist and nurse were extremely kind and understanding . dr capel was very nice aside from doing the si joint test but it is supposed to hurt like crazy, that's why you are there. I've been dealing with my issues on and everyday basis 24/7 for almost 5 years . i'm am extremely happy that I finally found a doctor that wants to fix the problem instead of keep me on pain meds. cant wait to see dr. capel again and get these rods put in my pelvis,

|  show details
by Prentice Long on Feb 22nd, 2013

After about 7 years of severe back and hip pain I went to DR CAPEL and and he did some test and said I was a candidate for repair. He inserted three pins in my hip, lower back and made the repair. When i awoke from the sugery the pain was gone. I had a very slight soreness from the incision and other than that no pain and still none today. Thank you very much DR CAPEL for repairing my back. I am 67 years old and I do and would continue to recommend DR CAPEL.

|  finally  |  show details
Oct 12th, 2012

Let me start by saying Dr Capel has help me tremendously.When I first came to him I had a miserable experiance with another back surgeon. I did everything I was asked to do and the prior dr had no success and to be honest was very rude. Dr Capel has made my pain no only managable but has almost entirely solved my severe issue. He is not only a great dr but a wonderful example of what a dr should strive to be.

|  My name Latecia Gregory  |  show details
Jun 5th, 2012

Dr. Capel , by meeting him the first time, I felt as if I new him more then a day. A Godly doctor vary rare to find. He listens and explains everything being able to explain. And he will lead you in the right direction what a blessing. Ready for change ! Go see Dr. Capel.

|  Great Doctor and Friend  |  show details
May 23rd, 2012

There is nothing bad to say about Dr. Capel. He is a great friend and mentor and doesn't stop at just being a doctor - he is a man of faith and works through Him to motivate his patients to a higher standard of healing. He prays before every surgery and I heard him say once that he can feel God guide his hands throughout surgeries. The waiting time varies on the condition of each patient but what is a couple of hours compared to the 15 years of training he went through to fix you - this is spinal surgery people!

|  Wonderful  |  show details
Nov 17th, 2011

Dr. Capel has done four surgeries on my husband. This man was an answer to many, many prayers. He has given Scott a quality of life that we thought was gone forever. He takes as much time as he needs to make sure that every question we have is answered in a way that we understand. Never makes us feel like anything we ask is stupid or trivial. He actually cares about my husband his pain. I would recommend Dr. Capel to anyone.

|  Waitedf 3 hours then 4 hours! Ridiculous  |  show details
Dec 28th, 2010

This guy doesn't care about his patients and on all my appointments, I waited in the waiting room 3 hours, then 4 hours consistently. He is the only guy in town who will take Medicare and Medicaid patients, so he has patient who will put up with this, but qaulity patients will not. I'm done! Since this rating side only goes up to an hour for a wait time, I feel compelled to at least warn new patients what they are in for; the average wait time is 3 hours, but you might be there all day. He told me back patients are not an emergency. Obviously, this guy has never had pain himself, because when you are in acute pain, it is an emergency. He doesnt' care what a patient goes through; only in it for the money!

Doctor's Response

I am truly sorry you waited that long. There is no excuse for this. Some days we get hit with very complicated cases that require more time than expected or we get paged out of the room by area hospital emergency rooms when we are on call. Most of the time when we run behind it is because I am getting calls from physicians with emergencies. I am sorry! I can assure you what I do is not for the money. Often I work for free and never get paid. When was the last time you worked for free? Most patients don't wait more than an hour.

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
by Corey on Dec 23rd, 2010

Dr. Capel performed my back surgery and was great from the begining to the end.

|  Larry Craft's Review  |  show details
by Larry Craft on Dec 3rd, 2010

Dr. Capel is a very knowledgeable doctor. His care is shown in everything he says or does. He is not only my Doctor, he is my Brother in Christ and I love his little Angel - Brighten Faith!

|  Once surgery is over you are done!  |  show details
Dec 1st, 2010

He is so full of himself and when he does cause someone more pain after surgery he makes sure by all the tests he can do he did his job right but what he does not tell his patients is that Neuropathy is a side affect of an operation of this kind and never promise a quality of life 80% pain free. What he should tell his patients is you are taking a 50- 50 chance on this working out and more times then not fusions end up worse off. Never promise someone something you can not deliver. Get over yourself and really truly care about others not just your fame! Thanks for ruining my life!

Doctor's Response

I don't know who this patient is but would love to sit down with her and try to help understand better her disease and the treatment. I understand it is frustrating to hurt after surgery, it is expected. I spend a lot of time with my patients before surgery so that their expectations are realistic. I have never met face to face with one of my many patients that have said that they are worse off after surgery than before! Low back pain is a universial condition, all of our surgery is pain reductive not pain eliminating. I am sorry you don't feel good about your result. I do think a full understanding of the disease and realistic expectations of what the healthcare system can do, even now would help you! These are communications we had before surgery but require much repitition due to the complexities. I am sorry if we did not communicate things to your satisfaction and understanding!

|  Improved patient  |  show details
Nov 3rd, 2010

I want to say thanks to Dr. Capel and his staff. Between the Lord and him, I am almost 100% since surgery April 29, 2009. I can walk, sit, and lay down without pain. He is excellent and I would recommend him to anyone with back pain.

|  disgusted  |  show details
Oct 12th, 2010

The two visits I had with him were horrible. The first visit I waited almost two hours to see him and when I finally saw him he was the rudest Dr. I have every seen, I never saw him smile and he seemed to have no concern about me and what I was going thru, he thru some pain pills at me and I quess he figured that would be good enough. My second visit I injured myself really bad at work trying to lift somethings because I am a soldier and my job is physical sometimes. I was hurt so bad that later that night I was hurting so bad I could not move, I could not get out of my bed and I could not feel my legs. I called an ambulance to take me to the hospital. The next day I called him to let him know what was going on, what happened and how I was feeling, he was so rude to me saying things like he was at a football game and unless I didnt have loss of bladder or bowel control it is not an emergency. I hung up on him and he called me back and told me to come in monday, this was a saturday, so I laid in bed for two days and then went monday morning. So needless to say the visit monday was just as bad, at this point it hurts really bad to move and if i have to sneeze or cough, I was in tears. Forget about laughing I could really not do much but walk slowly short distances. So I get in his office and he is still being an a#*hole. I tell him i cant feel my legs and he takes that needle and pokes me all over my legs, so hard it draws blood not that it matter because i could not feel it but he was doing to say i was lieing. he kept saying you mean to say you cant feel that. I say, "no sir, I realize i should because I'm bleeding, but no I can not feel it. So after that He says well I guess I we have to order another Lumbar MRI. After he gives me three shots in my upper back that he is extremely rough with, that doesn't help me at all. I am in the military and he just wants to pawn me off to pain management, I have a year to fix whats wrong with me and recover, or they send me to a medical review board and decide wether or not I am retainable. I have ten years of service and I plan on retiring from the united states army, I love my job and I love my country. I dont need to cover up the pain and disguise whats wrong with me I need to health and recover. He seemed to have no interest in that. He even talked about me to his assistance right in front of me, saying to him, can you believe she called me on a saturday why I was in the middle of a football game, I thought he was joking, so I laughed a little and said I was sorry and I looked at him and he didnt laugh or even smile, I was so embarrassed and hurt, I just took the shot and got out of there and he thru some more pain medicine at me, so if you are looking for pain medicine and not fixing your problem, he is your DR. I don't know if his attitude was because I have Tricare insurance, because he also stated that Tricare was hard to deal with. Whatever the reason he had for his behavior, was not a good enough reason in my book. Not being able to get out of bed or feel my legs is pretty routine for him, but for me it a pretty big emergency and he made me feel like an idiot. I went to him because a friend recommended him and she said she could not believe how he acted, maybe he had something going on at home, I'm also a paramedic and I know even if I have issues going on at home I have to leave that stuff at home If I take that stuff to work and take it out on my patients, then I would be out of a job.

Doctor's Response

This patient is known doctor shopper for pain meds and also recently arrested.