Dr. Ximena Matamala MD Patient Reviews

3.6

• Good
  • Bad

June 2nd, 2015
Dr.Matamala is an excellent doctor.She is patient and kind.It is all about her patient...she makes sure you understand everything she did at your visit and follows up promptly. There are not many doctors like her.

January 24th, 2015
dr matamala is wonderful
dr matamala has been the best obgyn ive had in years. shes sweet, informative, patient, kind, empathetic - a wonderful bedside manner. she goes extra steps to give the best family planning information - explaining the importance of folic acid and pre-natal vitamins for months before even attempting to conceive, staying healthy, keeping to my exercise routines, setting me up with a pcp to discuss booster immunizations and optional pre-pregnancy genetic testing. i am a patient so wracked with nerves, i dont always ask the questions, but dr matamala always makes sure to ask and answer them for me. she can sense if i am emotional with nerves on any testing or procedures, and i feel 1000% comfortable in her hands. i look forward to the day i can give birth with dr matamala in my corner also - regarding the staff at beth israel - they were just awful and most likely the reason for such bad ratings here. she has since moved offices and the ease of appointments now is a amazing

November 25th, 2014
Ridiculous wait time
Dr. Matamala is a fine and nice doctor. Although she doesnt spend much time in the room, she's always very pleasant and informative. However, the time you have to wait to see her is unacceptable. Each time I've had an appointment with her, no matter what time of day the appointment was, I've ended up waiting at least 30-45 minutes to see her, after arriving on time. On my last visit, after waiting 45 minutes, I was told that she was running very behind and there was still 1 appointment in front of mine. I proceeded to leave and will not be returning. Dr. Matamala lost a patient today and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had this same experience.

January 20th, 2014
Long wait
The waiting is very long even know you get there on time.... But if you reach late they refuse your services....

January 2nd, 2014
Photographer
The doctor refused to see my wife for her appointment even though we have new insurance and they refused to call and verify the information. They insisted that we needed our card which have not been received yet in the mail. this is an outrage. First all appointments were suspended because the doctor was not sure of insurance in the new year because of the new Obama care program. Now they say they need the card. A they needed to do was call the company to verify the insurance which any doctors office would do.

May 24th, 2013
Don't expect any pre-pregnancy care
I am trying to conceive and I thought it would be a good idea to see a obgyn and ask her about pre-pregnancy care. Dr. Matamala spent very little time with me, said that only after a year trying to conceive she would run tests (any tests), and for my surprise she didn't recommend any pre-natal vitamins or folic acid. She said that I should only return when I am 8 weeks pregnant. I still can't believe she didn't ask me to take any vitamins, didn't ask if I had my immunizations, didn't ask for any test (STDs, vitamin D, etc). I am not going back there again.

November 13th, 2012
nice and professional
I have a hard time connecting with people but Dr. Matamala made it much easier for me, she is very professional, friendly and pleasant to talk to. Also, the wait time is under 10 min which is a bonus :)

April 5th, 2012
After having a colposcopy in Nov 2011, I was asked to schedule an appointment for 2-3 weeks later. I couldn't get an appointment until 6 weeks later & then the doctor's office called to cancel 1 week before the appointment & didn't have another appointment until 3 weeks after the first one. I was so fed up following prior instances of trying to schedule appointments at this office that I told the person who called me that I didn't want another appointment because I was going to find a new doctor & Dr Matamala should call me if there was anything serious regarding my results. I never heard from her (many colposcopies reveal results that are not serioues) so I thought it would be fine to wait until May (the earliest my new doctor could see me) for a follow-up visit regarding my results. Only when I received my medical chart months later did I learn that I have HGSIL and need a LEEP to remove precancerous cervical cells. I'm not sure how much the doctor is to blame vs. the staff, but there should be better tracking to ensure patients receive test results that reveal a precursor to cervical cancer. I take some responsibility for the situation - no one should care about my health more than I do, so I should have done more to actually get back these results - but this is irresponsible patient care.

August 29th, 2010
Dr. Matamala is amazing
Dr. Ximena Matamala was my OB/GYN during my pregnancy, and also performed the delivery of my baby girl. I can't say enough good about her. She cares, she's knowledgeable, she's helpful, she's friendly, and she's a star. What more could you want from your doctor?I don't give recommendations out freely, and I can tell you I recommend her whole-heartedly.The administrative staff at her office at 10 Union Square unfortunately do not get the same rave reviews though. They're pretty abrasive, unhelpful, and cold. Don't pay much attention to them -- you'll be happy once you meet the clinical staff, especially Dr. Matamala.

July 20th, 2010
Finding a new OBGYN
My previous OBGYN went into private practice so I found Dr. Matamala. I saw her for a little over a year, to treat a rash and irritation in the area down there. I thought she was nice enough during our first visit, and in the second and third visits we agreed on treatment for the rash. After 6 months of the rash still being there and the irritation starting to inhibit my sex life, I started to get worried and had serious doubts about Dr. Matamala's treatment plan. In addition to that, I work really long hours during the week and EVERY SINGLE appointment I had with her required at least a 45 min. wait!! One time I had to wait 1 1/2 hours!! That is unacceptable when you're required to make the appointment at least 2 months in advance. And then the doctor would spend literally 5-10 minutes with me max. I didnt feel like she was really trying to treat my problem at all. Finally Dr. Matamala took a biopsy of my labia to determine the cause of my irritation. When the results came back she said I had the early onset of an uncurable longterm skin problem that flares up every now and then. She said using a steroidal cream would help inflammation go down within 2 weeks and had to be used every time it flared up again. 3 months later the problem was still there. I told her it didn't seem to be going away, in fact the steroidal cream was making it worse, and I suggested I might have something else. She looked at me sternly and said, "we know you have this problem because the lab results say you do." I needed a second opinion. After a year of seeing this doctor my problem had not been resolved. I saw my previous doctor and she took a look at the lab report f/ Dr. Matamala's biopsy. My doctor immediately pointed out that the results specifically stated it was inconclusive and could be an issue attributed to a myriad of medical problems. The only thing it ruled out was cancerous cells. So I did another biopsy with my old doctor and it came out conclusive that it was NOT the skin condition Dr. Matamala stated it was.What a waste of money and time going to Dr. Matamala!!! She is clearly inexperienced and doesn't seem to really care about getting down to the root of the problem. I would prefer to see a doctor that really knows how to analyze a lab report and makes the effort to resolve the problem Im seeing her for, rather than shuffle patients out the door so she can get the next one in.

September 17th, 2008
Great Doctor
She is gentle, caring and very professional. She delivered my huge baby (10.2 lbs.) with no problems and in the fastest way possible. I love her and continue to go to her for my annuals.

April 4th, 2017