Overall Review

August 14th, 2016
Spinal Cord Tumor
I have never met a Dr. as patient & understanding as Dr. Gokaslan. I never feel rushed at my appointments & he helps me feel at ease when I have so many questions. I am very grateful I was referred to him to have my spinal cord tumor surgery. He has an excellent bedside manner also. He took a lot of time with my mother & I showing us my MRI of my tumor & explaining everything to us. He really listened to all of my concerns & really made me feel as comfortable as possible with having to have had such a dangerous surgery. I had also requested to see the tumor once it was removed and he took a picture of it with his phone and sent it to me so I could see what was invading my spine! He's an absolutely amazing Dr. & surgeon. His staff is also very helpful and friendly.

July 9th, 2016
Highest Recommendation
Dr. Ziya Gokaslan, who is now with the Rhode Island Hospital where he is Chief of Neurosurgery and Chair of Neurosurgery at the Brown University Medical School, recently performed spinal surgery on me to correct a serious cervical spinal stenosis problem I had. It included fusing 5 vertebrae, and a laminectomy. His work was outstanding, the result was everything I could have hoped for, and his courtesy and "bedside manner" were excellent. Before the operation he reviewed the problem, illustrated with MRIs, with my wife and me, explained what he would do and why, and answered all of our questions. My symptoms at the time included difficulty walking, including significant loss of balance, and loss of sensation in my fingers, both caused by pressure of degenerated vertebrae against my spinal cord. Within three weeks after the surgery I experienced a remarkable improvement on these, and after 6 weeks I had recovered to about 95% of my previous ability - an exceptionally good result where nerve damage was involved. In due course the recovery should be total. He has also provided excellent followup care. Unlike many doctors, he gave me his direct phone number and email and encouraged me to ask him any question any time. I have done that both before and after the surgery. His response has been prompt and very helpful. Finally, he has a very pleasant and relaxed manner, which as a patient facing some very critical survey, and requiring a careful recovery, I found very reassuring. He combines to a rare degree outstanding surgical expertise and a helpful and pleasant manner manner. I could not recommend any doctor more highly. --

October 23rd, 2015
Forever Grateful
Dr. Gokaslan is not only one of the best surgeons in his field, his bedside manner is unsurpassed. He saved my daughter's life in 2014. He is extremely knowledgeable which put us at ease. His kindness and gentle manner made a difficult situation easier. One would be hard pressed to find a more brilliant surgeon. He was able to remove my daughter's cervical tumor in entirety as well as leave a clean and concise scar. The difference in her pre and post-surgery is like night and day. Her most major neurological deficits resolved right after surgery. I am totally indebted to this man. God blessed us with this immensely skilled and wonderful physician.

July 19th, 2015
Fantastic doctor. Very compassionate. World renown expert in his field.

August 20th, 2012
Saveing a life when no one else could
Dr. Gokaslan Saved my life about 10 years ago,I had a severe staph infection that went undiagnosed for months. By the time I ended up at the Hopkins emergency ward,The infection had already gone into my spine,Ostyomylitis, and Dr. Gokaslan,being out of the country,flew in and after numerous consultations with the infectiuos disease Doctor, decided to find an antibiotic that would not be resistant. It was a very hard decision as the infection was creeping up my spine at an increasingly rate,towards my brain. The Hickman and antibiotics worked and I am still here to talk about it. I have had ten spinal surgeries and am now facing being paralyzed,and,guess what,I am doing my very,very,very best to have Dr. Gokaslan see me again. Unfortunately,He does not take in many patients,usually reffering You to an associate. This is my life and I do not want anyone working on me but Dr. Gokaslan himself. I am praying every minute of the day that He will see me. Also,because Your body never rids Yourself of staph,and,now am facing either paralyzed without surgery,or,surgery that after removeing the pedicle screws and a 90% chance of staph reaccurance and the surgery is not a definite yes for me being paralyzed anyway. I need Dr. Gokaslan in the worst way and if not,I will end up paralyzed,which would end my life. He is the Worl'ds best and I will never see anyone else again. Thank You and Bless YOU Dr. G.

November 30th, 2011
Know your in good hands
A great diagnostician, helps from the heart and wastes no time in getting things done. I wish he wasnt so far but hes worth the drive to MD. Thanks Dr. G. BZ

January 7th, 2011
The World's Best Spinal & Spinal Cancer Surgeon
Hands down, Dr. Ziya Gokaslan is the world's best spinal and spinal cancer surgeon. Countless people, including myself, have been given terminal diagnosis from other experts and noted medical institutions, only to have Dr. Gokaslan and his team, including Dr. Wolinsky, save our lives. That team, will go, and do, what others will not, or cannot. If you want the best...look no further.

November 16th, 2010
Saved my Life!
I went to MD Anderson in Houston, TX so I could have Dr. Gokaslan remove a tumor in my vertabra. He was the only doctor doing this procedure at the time. He is a wonderful doctor, who explains things throughly and gives you all the time you need. It is a miracle that I am here today and I thank him everyday!