Initially, a diagnosis of bipolar disorder will likely start with your family doctor or general practitioner. You may then be referred to a psychiatrist —a medical doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating mental health conditions. During the journey of bipolar treatment, you may come into contact with some of the following providers as well:

Social Worker or Counselor: Provide support, education, and guidance to people with bipolar disorder and their families. This mental health professional often works with the psychiatrist to track progress.

Psychiatrists with ECT Fellowship:Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)—formerly known as “shock therapy,”—may be recommended if medication and/or psychotherapy does not work.

Holistic Practitioner:A specialist who views the body as a whole, considering physical, mental and spiritual components. Holistic practitioners may recommend herbs and nutritional supplements to control bipolar symptoms along with meditation, diet and exercise programs.

Endocrinologists:Bipolar disorder is often associated with thyroid gland problems. So you may be referred to an endocrinologist, an internist who concentrates on disorders affecting the endocrine system.