Doctors and Specialists
The two main types of doctors that perform a hysterectomy are:
- Gynecologists: Specialize in the female reproductive tract, both medically and surgically.
- General Surgeons: Perform surgery for the treatment of problems in body parts or organs.
Depending on the reason for the hysterectomy, additional specialists may be needed, including:
- Urologist: A doctor who specializes in the medical and surgical treatment of the urinary tract.
- Gynecological oncologist: A doctor who treats gynecological cancers, and has more extensive surgical training.
- Psychologist: A healthcare specialist who provides therapy and counseling in order to devise techniques for controlling stress or mood problems.
- Psychiatrist: A medical doctor who focuses on health and disorders of the mind and mood. This doctor may prescribe medications in addition to psychotherapy.
- Nurse practitioner: A nurse who focuses on prevention, wellness and education of patients about conditions and treatment choices.
- Nutritionist: A professional who formulates diet plans for both the healthy and compromised individual, as well as recommending vitamins and supplements to promote good health.