Doctors and Specialists

People with MS will see a variety of doctors and specialists, each focusing on a different body part or aspect of treatment. The following health care providers may make the care team:

  • Neurologist: A doctor who treats symptoms of MS that affect nerves, including shakes, numbness, muscle and limb weakness and thinking abilities.
  • Physiatrist: A doctor who specializes in rehabilitation therapy. This includes creating a treatment plan to help improve or prevent loss of day-to-day function.
  • Occupational therapist: Plans out strategies to help people with MS perform day-to-day and work-related tasks.
  • Nutritionist: Works with you on dietary needs, vitamins and meal plans.
  • Physical therapist: Creates exercise programs to help with balance, coordination and strength.
  • Speech pathologist: Helps people with MS deal with communication difficulties.
  • Psychologist: Provides therapy to help with mood issues, which may include depression and anxiety.
  • Psychiatrist: A doctor who can prescribe medication or other therapies to help with mental health issues.
  • Urologist: A doctor who treats urinary tract problems.
  • Nurse: Provides education on MS and helps coordinate care.
  • Social worker: Puts people with MS in touch with support groups, helps with insurance or disability forms and locates agencies that are needed for additional services.
  • Family physician or internist: Doctors who coordinate care and treat any problems that may be occurring alongside MS.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7