Questions to Ask
From your initial diagnosis throughout your treatment and care, you will likely have questions about your osteoporosis. Review this checklist of common questions to help determine what you need to know, or print it out to bring with you to your doctor visit.
Question About My Diagnosis
- How often do I need to take a bone density test? Are they accurate?
- What does the T score mean?
- Should I have a blood test for this condition?
- Can I cure the condition? Can I keep it from getting worse?
- What caused it?
Questions About My Treatment
- Can I treat my condition with exercise? If so, how much exercise?
- Would hormone therapy improve my condition?
- What are the side effects of medication?
- Can I take the medication with the drugs that I am currently taking? Are there any contraindications?
Questions About My Lifestyle & Family
- Is osteoporosis genetic?
- What medications put me at higher risk for osteoporosis?
- What foods should I avoid?
- What vitamins should I take?
- Are there lifestyle changes that would improve my bone health?
- How can I prevent my bones from breaking?
Many patients don’t like to speak up or ask too many questions, but the more you know, the easier it will be to understand and manage your condition.