The Team - Asthma

The Team
Patient Guide: Asthma

As your asthma is diagnosed, treated and managed, you may encounter the following doctors and specialists who can work in tandem as your asthma team.

Allergist - A pediatrician or internist who has taken additional training to qualify as a specialist in allergy and immunology. An allergist specializes in allergies, asthma, and allergic asthma.

Pulmonologist - A specialist in respiratory diseases. Some pulmonologists may get additional board certification in critical-care medicine.

Pulmonary Rehabilitation Therapist - While not a physician, this nurse or respiratory therapist is trained in pulmonary rehabilitation techniques and can help educate on how to manage asthma and its symptoms.

General family doctors or pediatricians with internal medicine training can also be important specialists part of your asthma team.