The Team - Bipolar Disorder

The Team
Patient Guide: Bipolar Disorder

Doctors Who Treat Bipolar Disorder

Initially, a diagnosis of bipolar disorder will likely to start with family doctor or a general practitioner. And then you may be referred to a psychiatrist — a medical doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating mental health conditions. During the journey of bipolar treatment, you may come across the following team of doctors.

Social Worker or Counselor - Besides medication, social worker or counselor through various therapies provide support, education, and guidance to people with bipolar disorder and their families. This mental health professional often works with the psychiatrist to track progress.

Psychiatrists with ECT Fellowship - Psychiatrists with special certification of Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT), you may be referred for cases in which medication and/or psychotherapy does not work. ECT, formerly known as "shock therapy," is required, once this treatment had a bad reputation. But in recent years, it has greatly improved and can provide relief for people with severe bipolar disorder who have not been able to feel better with other treatments.

Holistic Practitioner - A specialist who views the body as a whole, considering physical, mental and spiritual components. Herbs and nutritional supplements may be helpful to control bipolar symptoms along with meditation, diet and exercise programs.

Endocrinologists - Bipolar disorder often associates with thyroid gland problems. So you may be referred to an endocrinologist, an internist who concentrates on disorders of the internal (endocrine) glands such as the thyroid and adrenal glands.