Birth Control Patient Education
How to Prepare to Discuss Birth Control With Your Doctor
During your doctor visit, you will likely have a gynecological examination. You can prepare for it by taking the following steps outlined in this patient education guide.
- Avoid douching for 48 hours
- Avoid sexual intercourse for 48 hours
- Avoid use of vaginal creams for at least two days
- Wear comfortable clothing that can easily be changed.
Your doctor will also discuss several aspects of your medical history. Be prepared for this consultation by preparing the following:
- Family history
- Significant past medical history
- Past contraceptive history and any side effects experienced
- Any lab results in possession from the last year