Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Depression
From your initial diagnosis throughout your treatment and care, you will have questions about yourdepression. This patient education guide lists helpful questions for you to discuss with your doctor so you can make informed decisions about your condition.
Questions About My Diagnosis
- What caused my depression?
- Are there diagnostic tests that I should have?
- Can I be cured or is this a life-long problem?
- Will psychotherapy cure me of depression?
Questions About My Treatment
- What medication will I need to treat depression? Why was this medication chosen? Are there side effects?
- How long will I need to take this medication before I see relief of symptoms?
- Will I always have to take the medication?
- Is there a treatment that I can have without drugs? Are there supplements, vitamins or herbs that can cure my depression?
- What will happen if I don’t take any treatment?
- Will I get progressively worse?
Questions About My Lifestyle and Family
- Does this type of depression run in families?
- Will my children develop this depression?
- What signs should I look for?
- Is there a special diet that will help me?
- Are there foods that I should avoid? Can I drink alcoholic beverages?
- Will exercise relieve my depression?
- Will antidepressants interfere with my sexual performance or sex drive?
- Can I drive with antidepressants?