Hysterectomy Patient Education
Doctors Who Treat The Need For Hysterectomy
The two main types of doctors that perform a hysterectomy are:
- Gynecologists - specialize in the female reproductive tract (both medically and surgically)
- General Surgeons - perform surgery for the treatment of problems in body parts/organs
Depending on the indication for the hysterectomy, additional specialists are added to the team. Those listed in our patient education guide include:
- Urologist — A doctor who specializes in the medical and surgical treatment of the urinary tract.
- Gynecological Oncologist — A doctor who treats gynecological cancers, and has more extensive surgical training for radical procedures.
- Psychologist — A healthcare specialist who provides therapy and counseling in order to devise techniques for controlling stress or mood problems.
- Psychiatrist — A medical doctor who focuses on health and disorders of the mind and mood. This doctor may prescribe medications in addition to psychotherapy.
- Nurse Practitioner — A nurse who focuses on prevention, wellness and education of patients about health and health choices.
- Nutritionist — A professional who formulates diet plans for both the healthy and compromised individual, as well as advising which vitamins and supplements would promote good health.