Irritable Bowel Syndrome Patient Education
Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Irritable Bowel Syndrome or IBS
From your initial diagnosis throughout your treatment and care, you will have questions about your irritable bowel syndrome. Our patient education guide lists questions for you and your doctor to discuss so you can make informed decisions about your condition.
Question About My Diagnosis
- Does IBS lead to colon cancer?
- Is IBS associated with other medical conditions?
- Are there triggers that cause IBS flare-ups?
- How do I determine the triggers?
- Is Irritable Bowel Syndrome curable?
Questions About My Treatment
- Will I need surgery eventually?
- Are there medications that prevent a flare-up?
- Will I need to take medications chronically?
- What are the side effects of the treatment?
- Are there nonprescription or herbal treatments for IBS?
- Should I take or avoid laxatives?
Questions About My Lifestyle & Family
- Is IBS genetic?
- What diet and exercise do you advise? Are there foods I should avoid?
- Does stress cause IBS? Smoking? Do alcoholic beverages cause IBS flare-ups?
- Are there complementary therapies available for IBS?